British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Costa Concordia salvage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/costa-concordia-salvage-809376/)

britexpat76 Sep 16th 2013 9:05 am

Costa Concordia salvage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24104741

Live link of it. Quite an engineering task moving something that big stuck on rocks. Interesting to see how it plays out.

Kix Sep 16th 2013 9:50 am

Re: Costa Concordia salvage

Great bit of engineering, still can't believe it's going to be scrapped though.

jam25mack Sep 16th 2013 9:54 am

Awesome. I love stuff like this.

Love the site office location too.

Glad the Italians haven't been left to sort it out, that would have lead to all kind of disasters.

britexpat76 Sep 16th 2013 10:02 am

I would of thought the Chinese would of bought it and recommissioned it. Sure that happened before with a car ferry that sunk.

Blimey if the Italians had been left to it I don't think it would over of moved. I wonder what its scrap value is? Must be a fraction on the $700m cost of moving it

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 16th 2013 10:18 am

I'll have it.

Would make a wicked paintball arena.

jam25mack Sep 16th 2013 11:20 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10902797)
I wonder what its scrap value is? Must be a fraction on the $700m cost of moving it

Well if you look at it's tonnage of 114,500 and at say 180GBP/T you are looking at about 21M GBP, but that is considering it as all being steel. There must be a considerable amount that isn't. So say 15M GBP.

Personally I would have made it environmentally safe and left it.

OriginalSunshine Sep 16th 2013 11:36 am

Shame - diving it would have been really interesting :D

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 16th 2013 11:55 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10902901)
Well if you look at it's tonnage of 114,500 and at say 180GBP/T you are looking at about 21M GBP, but that is considering it as all being steel. There must be a considerable amount that isn't. So say 15M GBP.

Personally I would have made it environmentally safe and left it.

Surely there is more to be made than that?

Other than being forced to, why would anyway shell out to salvage it?

jam25mack Sep 16th 2013 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10902950)
Surely there is more to be made than that?

Other than being forced to, why would anyway shell out to salvage it?

Maybe, depends what they can salvage I suppose. That was just the current steel scrap value.

I think you are right on the 'forced to' bit. I expect that it would be included in the insurance policy that in the event of it sinking in shallow waters / running aground they would be liable to remove it.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 16th 2013 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10902961)
Maybe, depends what they can salvage I suppose. That was just the current steel scrap value.

I think you are right on the 'forced to' bit. I expect that it would be included in the insurance policy that in the event of it sinking in shallow waters / running aground they would be liable to remove it.

Hmm, quite.

Cool to watch it happen though.

Inselaffen Sep 16th 2013 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10902961)

scapping price will be based on the vessels LDT which will be a lot lower.
assume she'll be heading to Turkey so it will only be about US$300 per ldt at the moment.

britexpat76 Sep 16th 2013 12:33 pm

Seems to of lifted 2/3m now. I can only imaging how many twitchy bottoms there are working on it.

Inselaffen Sep 16th 2013 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 10902998)
scapping price will be based on the vessels LDT which will be a lot lower.
assume she'll be heading to Turkey so it will only be about US$300 per ldt at the moment.

to clarify my last, the newspapers are reporting the tonnage as 114,500 but that is her Gross Tonnage which is, confusingly, a measure of volume rather than weight.

She has a Deadweight of 8900mts so LDT will only be about 7000mts.

so her scrap value will only be USD 2.1 million or thereabouts. doesnt really cover much of the salvage costs.

ADteacher Sep 16th 2013 1:26 pm

Looking at some of the shots, it's still shocking to see just how stupidly close to the island he took the ship!

Inselaffen Sep 16th 2013 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by ADteacher (Post 10903100)
Looking at some of the shots, it's still shocking to see just how stupidly close to the island he took the ship!

I dont think she was that close when he holed her. The Idiot steered her in closer to stop her going down completely. Thats before he tripped and fell into the lifeboat.