British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Corporal Punishment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/corporal-punishment-699807/)

lionheart Jan 9th 2011 7:07 am

Corporal Punishment

Interesting to see that children in the UAE still get occasional beatings from teachers despite the practice having been officially banned. Any thoughts?

http://en.news.maktoob.com/200900005...er/Article.htm

Norm_uk Jan 9th 2011 8:51 am

Re: Corporal Punishment

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9087882)
Interesting to see that children in the UAE still get occasional beatings from teachers despite the practice having been officially banned. Any thoughts?

Am not sure about beatings but I am a supporter of smacking and given the breakdown of discipline in UK classrooms would be happy to see it come back.

N.

lionheart Jan 9th 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9088030)
Am not sure about beatings but I am a supporter of smacking and given the breakdown of discipline in UK classrooms would be happy to see it come back.N.

We used to get a steel ruler across the knuckles, painful but effective. How about you ladies? Did you ever get spanked?;)

ukecadet Jan 9th 2011 9:37 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9088046)
We used to get a steel ruler across the knuckles, painful but effective. How about you ladies? Did you ever get spanked?;)

Steel ruler,was that at engineering collage ?.
We had wooden ruler.cane,strap,dap(plimsoll) pulled up by the sideburns and one teacher would make us kneel, arms outstretched to the side with books on our hands.When the arms fell below a certain level he would swipe you under the arm with a cane.
A complete bunch of sadistic bastards!

Blue Cat Jan 9th 2011 10:23 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9087882)

any teacher lays a finger on my child and I will see them in Court :sneaky:

commander Jan 9th 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9088186)

i got the belt a few times at school. Once for breaknig a window and one for punching a prefect.

Both times it was warranted and i had no complaints, nor did my parents who beat me to a pulp also.

Kids nowadays need a good hiding every now and then to bring them back in line

lionheart Jan 9th 2011 11:24 am

If that happened, I certainly wouldn't take a teacher to court so long as my girl's behaviour deserved punishment. Kids these days are pampered far too much. Even though I would never raise my hand to my daughter under any circumstances, teachers and mothers can be excused the occasional blemish in that regard.

lionheart Jan 9th 2011 11:26 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9088195)
... i had no complaints, nor did my parents who beat me to a pulp also....

You were lucky. My parents used to hack me to pieces with an axe and dance naked around my body singing Halleluyah.

Hello.Kitty Jan 9th 2011 11:36 am

I think "appropriate" is a key words here... I find it the height of irony that an adult should hit a child to teach the child not to hit.

Blue Cat Jan 9th 2011 11:39 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9088296)
If that happened, I certainly wouldn't take a teacher to court so long as my girl's behaviour deserved punishment. Kids these days are pampered far too much. Even though I would never raise my hand to my daughter under any circumstances, teachers and mothers can be excused the occasional blemish in that regard.

but you would have no issues with a Teacher doing it? yeah right :rolleyes:

Blue Cat Jan 9th 2011 11:40 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9088195)
i got the belt a few times at school. Once for breaknig a window and one for punching a prefect.

Both times it was warranted and i had no complaints, nor did my parents who beat me to a pulp also.

Kids nowadays need a good hiding every now and then to bring them back in line

Mine got a short sharp slap on the bag of her legs yesterday for being downright cheeky and disrespectful :p

Norm_uk Jan 9th 2011 12:01 pm

I'd be happy to give a teacher written permission to smack my boy if it was warranted. I think just telling him that I've told the teacher he can smack him would create a spate of sweet and lovely behaviour.

Lack of discipline in the class, respect for elders and declining community parenting are reasons we see so much youth crime and delinquency today - instead of insuring sadistic teachers were reprimanded/removed and creating a better framework for discipline (like asking for parental permission for example) we just banned all forms of corporal punishment period. This is like banning all cars because some people don't drive properly or banning booze because when some people get drunk they do bad things.

Am sure most generations say this but the behaviour of many teens today is way beyond shocking. We didn't have teens shooting each other in the UK 30 years ago as far as I recall (am open to correction). Teen crime is at all time high - because the children know they can't be touched.

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9088299)
You were lucky. My parents used to hack me to pieces with an axe and dance naked around my body singing Halleluyah.

Mine too...except that was only if we were lucky. We were usually murdered with cold blood.

Amazing how when you tell kids that these days though they don't believe us ;)

N.

Norm_uk Jan 9th 2011 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9088330)
Mine got a short sharp slap on the bag of her legs yesterday for being downright cheeky and disrespectful :p

She's lucky.

We had our legs amputated at the hip for being cheeky...if we were lucky ;)

N.

The Dean Jan 9th 2011 12:08 pm

I was a boarder for two years, and my abiding memory is being frequently caned by an overweight middle-aged woman called 'Matron'......

.......... these days, if I want that, I have to pay good money for it.......... :o

Blue Cat Jan 9th 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9088372)
She's lucky.

We had our legs amputated at the hip for being cheeky...if we were lucky ;)

N.

that's what I told her :thumbup: