Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Cool car vs sensible car

Cool car vs sensible car

Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cool car vs sensible car

An opinion from a car enthusiast.

In the last 4 years, I have spent quite a bit of cash on cars. But, I did so with a calm hand, and they were not impulse buys.

I bought the 2008 Audi RS4 (my car), the only real performance saloon in my opinion (all the others don't have manual gearboxes). I like its understated looks. I knew I would own one of these since 2006 when I saw Clarkson race one up a mountain against a rock-climber. Dubai made the purchase affordable, and if I ever leave here, it will be shipped home and garaged, only to be used for fun for the next 30 or so years (hopefully). I do not find the Audi service costs to be expensive at all (I hear Mercedes are expensive, and if its got AMG or Brabus on the back, take a deep breath and a full wallet). Al Nabooda service centre (I only deal with one agent there) and Audi Middle East have been superb. Since buying this car I have been stopped in traffic by other motorist at least 5 times, asking me to sell the car. There were only 40-50 supplied to the entire Middle East, and consequently there are buyers waiting for RS's to come up for sale.

I also bought a 2009 Landcruiser (the wifes car). With 3 children, 2 dogs, and regular family/friend holidaying with use the Landcruiser ticked all the boxes with its 8 seats and top notch air conditioning, in built roof mount DVD for the children and wipe clean leather makes it an easy car for the family. I love the Landcruiser because it allows us to access the desert for camping/off roading, and our family/friends get to see some of the real middle east, rather than just tall tower and shopping mall lifestyle. Again, I will not be selling this car until we decide to leave. Landcruisers have good resale values so I do not predict the lifetime cost of running to be a worry at all. Al Futtaim service costs are low, and ease of getting the thing serviced is amazing, turn up unannounced, one hour later (or so) and you are finished. Landcruisers/Patrols are the popular choice so it should be easy to sell if we needed to.

If we did ever leave Dubai I might even take the Landcruiser with me, but that would need a petrol card to be included in my package!!!

I think what I am trying to say is that spending money on a car is really a personal choice and you need to justify the purchase to yourself. The longer you plan to keep the vehicle the more the figures look favourable against leasing over the same period. The only advice I can offer is if you are going to splash out, let it be on something you really love, not just something that the 'new car effect' will wear off quickly. If you buy and then get bored in 12-18 months its going to cost you money (i've been there!).

One tip for the car fanatic, let SaraAutoCare www.saraautocare.com look after your car. From paint polishing (removing the swirls), paint protection (a paint sealant to limit damaging effects of the aggressive atmosphere here) and leather conditioning they are brilliant. Glen at Sara AutoCare makes spending money a pleasure! The car looks amazing after a visit to see him (and its not expensive at all).
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:06 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
  • Don't buy Korean or Chinese (do i really need to explain this?)
Yes, you do. There's a WORLD of difference between Korean and Chinese cars now. I'd happily drive a Hyundai out here.

Of course, this doesn't apply to Korean GMs, but GMs in general are terrible anyway.

KC, take a look at second hand Fords if you don't fancy a 4x4. Their value drops off a cliff in the first year, so a 1-3 year old one is usually really cheap. They're also (relatively) cheap to maintain. The Focus is surprisingly good fun to drive as well as speedy if you get the right engine. And once the big hit has been taken, they're so cheap there's not much further for them to fall.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:35 am
Shikra

shikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Insellafin, Civic would be an ideal choice to compromise between look and expense.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matthew.lewis2
One tip for the car fanatic, let SaraAutoCare www.saraautocare.com look after your car. From paint polishing (removing the swirls), paint protection (a paint sealant to limit damaging effects of the aggressive atmosphere here) and leather conditioning they are brilliant. Glen at Sara AutoCare makes spending money a pleasure! The car looks amazing after a visit to see him (and its not expensive at all).
When you say "it's not expensive" - how much? My poor little Pajero could do with some love... It's covered in concrete splats from where I park it next to a building site. Can they take this off?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
When you say "it's not expensive" - how much? My poor little Pajero could do with some love... It's covered in concrete splats from where I park it next to a building site. Can they take this off?
I reckon Dhs 450, but call them up and ask for Glen, say I recommended you (Matthew Lewis).

You need to ask for 'paint polishing', this will have the paint 'polished' i.e minute surface layer of the paint/laquer polished off, then waxed to protect.

Concrete/paint splats are regular demons that Sara are well used to.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:09 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think I can see you in this

Cool car vs sensible car-mustang-2.jpg
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats like a Rock Chick Barbie car!!

Not sure i'm after a pimped car to be honest but I'lll consider it ... ok considered it and its a no!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:03 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Yes, you do. There's a WORLD of difference between Korean and Chinese cars now. I'd happily drive a Hyundai out here.
I was talking in general and maybe I should have split Korean and Chinese. Fair comment. Most Korean cars are still not quite up to the mark though. Hyundai is probably the best of them, but still leaves a lot to be desired. I agree the new Coupe (now called Genesis) looks very nice, but I would have major issues buying one.

I should maybe have added a comment about American cars, but I think most people are aware of the what you get with these cars; cheap and cheerful for the most part with some remarkable exceptions.

For example the Cadillac Escalade is a so-called luxury car (with a price to match). It is still full of badly fitting trim and hard plastics. Not nice if you've ever owned a German car.

However there are loads of positive examples of American cars as well. I have been drooling over the Dodge Challenger a bit lately. Looks awesome, but not cheap and quite sparse in terms of equipment.

If you want a cheap 4x4 (ie can't afford the Land Cruiser, Prado, Pajero, Patrol) and you're not planning on desert safaris then the Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon are very good value for money..

KC - If you decide sensible is the right way for you go for a Ford Focus. Great cars to drive and not expensive. If you want a 4x4 go for a Toyota RAV4 or Fortuner. If you decide cool and fast, go for a Nissan 350Z/370Z..
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:10 am