British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Cool car vs sensible car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cool-car-vs-sensible-car-675153/)

kittycat1 Jul 4th 2010 4:13 pm

Cool car vs sensible car

Hi All,

Right I've finally decided to get my finger out my arse and get a car. So went looking at cars at the weekend, so I'm torn, the sensible person inside me is saying get a Yaris or something cheap and affordable, however the shallow cool chic inside of me is very tempted by an Toyota FJ, double the price to a civic but looks fab! My other choice would be a mini...

Whats everyone else done out here- bought sensibly or thrown caution to the wind? And if you've bought extravagantly have you regretted it?

xxx

soukie Jul 4th 2010 4:16 pm

Re: Cool car vs sensible car

The Toyota FJ has a lot of blind spots and you will be a traget for boy racers. Have a look at the VW Tiguan - I love mine.

Madam Medusa Jul 4th 2010 4:22 pm

really liked the fj cruiser when they first were out here as there were only one or two...now they are ten a penny and have totally lost all coolness...

mini is good, if you've got a big pocket for servicing...

MM, xx

kittycat1 Jul 4th 2010 4:31 pm

true- I hadn't really noticed them before but then today I spotted loads of them- I still think they look cool though, not sure if I'm quite gangster enough to drive one though, trying to find one of dubizzle to see resale value but cant find any so far

Soukie, yeah I did wonder about the blind spots was gonna test drive it next weekend hopefully) well as long as I sort my license out this week).

Yeah I'd heard minis where expensive to maintain out here- I do love them though, also a bit concerned about getting squished by a hummer or something...

And how many peopel have bought new compared to secondhand?

Grace O Malley Jul 4th 2010 4:32 pm

Having gone for the cool car, I would now say practical. I fell in love with my car the first time i saw it and didn't really think about anything else. I can't fit anything in the boot in my car, which means everything has to go on the back seats. Useless really if your picking someone up at the airport or buying a large item, thats not deliverable.

As MM you gotta keep in mind servicing and maintenance.

MataHari Jul 4th 2010 4:49 pm

if you're here to save money and then get out asap, why would you even consider forking out loads of money for a 'cool' car...

Grace O Malley Jul 4th 2010 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8676999)
if you're here to save money and then get out asap, why would you even consider forking out loads of money for a 'cool' car...

Yeah, agree, my car is now 7 years old so i have had my moneys worth.
I would not buy a cool or a new car again, not in a country where some wanker, scrapes it and drives off without leaving their number and you have to fork out to pay for the damage , pisses me off.

You are better off to get a leased car.

Cham128 Jul 4th 2010 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8677008)
Yeah, agree, my car is now 7 years old so i have had my moneys worth.
I would not buy a cool or a new car again, not in a country where some wanker, scrapes it and drives off without leaving their number and you have to fork out to pay for the damage , pisses me off.

or a tank :thumbsup:

Grace O Malley Jul 4th 2010 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 8677014)

or a sensor on the car, that rips a part of their car off in the process.

the_red_sheep Jul 4th 2010 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8677008)

That's what I went for. It's probably slightly more expensive then buying, but hassle free i.e. insurance, registration, servicing are all inclusive. And nothing to try and sell if/when you make an exit.

Started with the same cool v's sensible dilemma, but a week of driving a hire car here decided it for me that sensible(ish) was the best option. By sensible(ish) I mean a 2.0l Lancer ELX. Does all it needs to do and has wee bit of poke when you need to get out of the way of a erse in a FJ or a dart across a few lanes to make an unsigned turn off. Ultimately most of the roads here are deadly boring to drive on so a sports coupe (which would have been my 'cool' option) would be largely wasted, as the real joy in them is buzzing round windy b-roads with the stereo on and the windows down on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

the_red_sheep Jul 4th 2010 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 8677014)

So what we're saying is leasing a tank is the optimal solution.

Autonomy Jul 4th 2010 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8676975)
true- I hadn't really noticed them before but then today I spotted loads of them- I still think they look cool though, not sure if I'm quite gangster enough to drive one though, trying to find one of dubizzle to see resale value but cant find any so far

Soukie, yeah I did wonder about the blind spots was gonna test drive it next weekend hopefully) well as long as I sort my license out this week).

Yeah I'd heard minis where expensive to maintain out here- I do love them though, also a bit concerned about getting squished by a hummer or something...

And how many peopel have bought new compared to secondhand?

don't listen to any of them. they're all boring. you are living the dream in the sun. get a soft top.... can be jeep and tough, can be sleek and SLK, can even be a Frenchie 206 CC... you've come this far, drive around with the top down....

pipe and slippers anyone?

Spugsy Jul 4th 2010 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8676948)
Hi All,

Right I've finally decided to get my finger out my arse and get a car. So went looking at cars at the weekend, so I'm torn, the sensible person inside me is saying get a Yaris or something cheap and affordable, however the shallow cool chic inside of me is very tempted by an Toyota FJ, double the price to a civic but looks fab! My other choice would be a mini...

Whats everyone else done out here- bought sensibly or thrown caution to the wind? And if you've bought extravagantly have you regretted it?

xxx

you work hard, you deserve something nice, go for it.

MataHari Jul 4th 2010 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8677048)
don't listen to any of them. they're all boring. you are living the dream in the sun. get a soft top.... can be jeep and tough, can be sleek and SLK, can even be a Frenchie 206 CC... you've come this far, drive around with the top down....

errrrrrrrrrrr...I am the last person to want a sensible car...but KC is always posting she is unhappy here, only staying to save money etc etc...hence my advice...

Autonomy Jul 4th 2010 5:24 pm

oh and financially - I'll be selling my rubicon wrangler this year - I bought in 2004 for 50K and it was almost brand new, at worst I'll sell it for 35K (it's in good nick) this year = 3,000dhs per year....

Autonomy Jul 4th 2010 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8677052)
errrrrrrrrrrr...I am the last person to want a sensible car...but KC is always posting she is unhappy here, only staying to save money etc etc...hence my advice...

I hear you... see above....

Grace O Malley Jul 4th 2010 5:31 pm

DO NOT GET A SOFT TOP...............

Mine is and the effing thing has caused so many problems, soft tops are not meant for 40 above temp.

Convs are great, but TBH, even in the winter, I hardly ever put the roof down.

Autonomy Jul 4th 2010 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8677063)
I hardly ever put the roof down.

haha... pipe and slippers for O'Malley..... :eek:

seven seas Jul 4th 2010 5:39 pm

Don't get a mini or a Yaris coz you'll be Hummer bait.

Pathfinder?
FJ cruiser?
Pajero?

Who said cool can't be practical?

totally agree that a sports coupe is wasted here though.

Grace O Malley Jul 4th 2010 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8677066)
haha... pipe and slippers for O'Malley..... :eek:

ha ha probably, but the truth is most of my driving is around town, so can not be bothered putting it up and down, pain in the ass and the novelty wore off quite quickly and big hair is so not a good look, (Bridget Jones scene if you know what I mean

With hindsight, oh what a wonderful thing, it was really a stupid buy but i loved it

Ethos83 Jul 4th 2010 5:59 pm

Ok. Here's my few bits of advice which is naturally more valuable than anyone else on here.

1. Buy a car that you can sell quickly.

2. Buy a car that gets you most of your money back.

So what does that get you?

A Japanese 4x4. Toyotas and Mitsubishis (the Fortuners, Prados and Pajeros) are probably the best car in terms of value and resale. They are exceedingly popular. Plus they have generally very good warranties and servicing is cheap once the warranty expires.

Forget the fancy European cars. They may be a beaut to look at but not out here when they are a dime a dozen and every scratch or ding is going to be painful.

Don't get the Minis - horrible resale value and awful servicing charges.

Don't get the Saab. PRobably the worst resale value of the 'luxury' car level.

Don't get a Wrangler. Damned uncomfortable to drive.

If you want something that has a cool factor higher than a Yaris look at the 3-door Pajero. It's a 4x4 but not as awkward as the larger ones may be.

Probably the absolute best savers are the 10 year old cars. Had a friend who bought a 10 year old Jeep for 10K. Drove it for 18 months, and resold it to some dude in Sharjah for....10K. You should easily buy a 5 year old, say Pajero, for 30 or 40K and resell easily after a year or two with only minimal losses. The one downside is the lack of a warranty.

Autonomy Jul 4th 2010 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8677077)
With hindsight, oh what a wonderful thing, it was really a stupid buy but i loved it

exactly.... we look back on the wonderful with love and affection..... a yaris can go and **** off....

kittycat1 Jul 4th 2010 6:42 pm

Matahari-

This is completely where I'm confused, the sensible part of me which is thinking house deposit and is shouting get the cheapest most economical car, but the fun side of me wants to get something cool as to be honest Ive never bought a new car and wouldn't be able to afford it at home, and with all the offers on here its very very tempting. Whether I like it here or not I will be staying til the end of my contract so have over 2 years left here so am trying to do whatever I need to to enjoy it and having a nice car could help, but also buying my own place when I go home would make me happier in the long run- oh god Im going to have to be sensible aren't I...

Dilema Dilema Dilema.

I'm away quite a bit over the next few months so might sit on it a bit longer and just carry on cabbing it for a couple more months.

I'm so confused :blink::confused::huh:

Millhouse Jul 4th 2010 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8677092)
Ok. Here's my few bits of advice which is naturally more valuable than anyone else on here.

1. Buy a car that you can sell quickly.

2. Buy a car that gets you most of your money back.

So what does that get you?

A Japanese 4x4. Toyotas and Mitsubishis (the Fortuners, Prados and Pajeros) are probably the best car in terms of value and resale. They are exceedingly popular. Plus they have generally very good warranties and servicing is cheap once the warranty expires.

Forget the fancy European cars. They may be a beaut to look at but not out here when they are a dime a dozen and every scratch or ding is going to be painful.

Don't get the Minis - horrible resale value and awful servicing charges.

Don't get the Saab. PRobably the worst resale value of the 'luxury' car level.

Don't get a Wrangler. Damned uncomfortable to drive.

If you want something that has a cool factor higher than a Yaris look at the 3-door Pajero. It's a 4x4 but not as awkward as the larger ones may be.

Probably the absolute best savers are the 10 year old cars. Had a friend who bought a 10 year old Jeep for 10K. Drove it for 18 months, and resold it to some dude in Sharjah for....10K. You should easily buy a 5 year old, say Pajero, for 30 or 40K and resell easily after a year or two with only minimal losses. The one downside is the lack of a warranty.

Totally agree with this post.

I have a 3.0 SWB Pajero and a 4.0 Fortuner. In my view, the Pajero is shite but they are popular and despite me having offroaded it, had a concrete mixer drive down the side of it and scrapped it down the wall of the underground car park the day I bought it I know that I could sell it tomorrow.

I looked into this carefully, a yaris to hire costs around 22k/ year. I paid 40k for my 2006 Pajero last year and despite the abuse I can easily sell it for more than 18k tomorrow. I have had the benefit of a much better car, some fun offroad and if I had to sell it tomorrow it would still be cheaper than leasing a yaris...

The Fortuner is an awesome car - fast and a tank. Sadly the misses stoved that into the back of someone and I've had the front rebuilt. If I had to sell that tomorrow I'm sure that I would lose money on that one but you can't win them all. I will hold that car until it's death.

By means of a reference, when the Fortuner was in the garage being fixed - renting a Prado for a month was 6k and a shitty outlander 3.5k / month.

Autonomy Jul 4th 2010 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8677140)
Matahari-

This is completely where I'm confused, the sensible part of me which is thinking house deposit and is shouting get the cheapest most economical car, but the fun side of me wants to get something cool as to be honest Ive never bought a new car and wouldn't be able to afford it at home, and with all the offers on here its very very tempting. Whether I like it here or not I will be staying til the end of my contract so have over 2 years left here so am trying to do whatever I need to to enjoy it and having a nice car could help, but also buying my own place when I go home would make me happier in the long run- oh god Im going to have to be sensible aren't I...

Dilema Dilema Dilema.

I'm away quite a bit over the next few months so might sit on it a bit longer and just carry on cabbing it for a couple more months.

I'm so confused :blink::confused::huh:

if you want some sort of middle ground - do not buy new. do not buy new.... do not buy new.... you'll get decent cars about 12 months old that have taken the sharp depreciation hit already....

Millhouse Jul 4th 2010 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8677161)
if you want some sort of middle ground - do not buy new. do not buy new.... do not buy new.... you'll get decent cars about 12 months old that have taken the sharp depreciation hit already....

Agree... the newest car I've ever bought has been 18months old (here and the in UK)...

norsk Jul 4th 2010 7:49 pm

I wanted a Porsche, but ended up with a used VW Touareg. The back seat in the Porsche would have been a squeeze even for my 3 year old son..:p

I usually follow three steps when buying a car (to ensure I'll be happy with it):

1. Decide on budget
2. Look at cars within the budget (used only - new cars are for people with more money than sense)
3. Buy a car that is no more than 5% over your budget (I usually fail on this point)

And because I'm feeling extra generous here's some light advice
  • Don't buy a convertible (too hot here and you'll never put the roof down)
  • Don't buy Korean or Chinese (do i really need to explain this?)
  • Don't buy French (if there is a market standard for how to do something it will be done differently on a French car)
  • Don't buy German (unless you can live with the servicing costs)
  • Don't buy the entry level for any car model
  • Make sure you get warranty (unless you buy a really cheap car)
  • Try to get servicing included in the deal
  • If you have no idea about cars take someone with you who does
  • Don't trust car salesmen!
  • Don't forget that there are running costs! No point buying a cheap Ferrari if it costs you a fortune to run it...

benzonar Jul 4th 2010 8:25 pm

Well after being here for over two years and having a company provided car, I changed jobs and got an allowance instead. Got a lease car for 4 months but got sick to death of the lease companies lack of servicing, bald tyres etc.

I'd been saving a fair bit and have stashed away a nice little nest egg, I then saved some extra cash for a car. Was looking at 2nd hand cars, like the Infiniti G37 etc. Even looked at the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

In the end I thought bollocks, go for a car I wouldn't consider in the UK due to petrol consumption etc. So went out and got a US muscle car and haven't looked back. You only live once so may as well enjoy life, you can lose everything but the only thing you can't get back is time. The permagrin I have every morning driving to work is more than worth the risk.

Inselaffen Jul 5th 2010 4:19 am

If I moved back to Dubai would probably get a Civic or an older VW Passat or something similar

lost far too much money when I sold my Yankie Capri there

Morecambe Mindy Jul 5th 2010 4:24 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8676948)
Hi All,

xxx

My husband is driving an FJ at the moment due to his car being in for fixing; and he hates it. He said there are too many blind spots; and lets be honest, you need eyes in the back of your head driving here as it is!

My sensible approach would be to get a car you can afford now and save up for the cool one later.

(I'm actually just jealous that you have a choice, with three kids in car seats to ferry about, I'm afraid boring family car is my only option.)

matthew.lewis2 Jul 5th 2010 5:05 am

An opinion from a car enthusiast.

In the last 4 years, I have spent quite a bit of cash on cars. But, I did so with a calm hand, and they were not impulse buys.

I bought the 2008 Audi RS4 (my car), the only real performance saloon in my opinion (all the others don't have manual gearboxes). I like its understated looks. I knew I would own one of these since 2006 when I saw Clarkson race one up a mountain against a rock-climber. Dubai made the purchase affordable, and if I ever leave here, it will be shipped home and garaged, only to be used for fun for the next 30 or so years (hopefully). I do not find the Audi service costs to be expensive at all (I hear Mercedes are expensive, and if its got AMG or Brabus on the back, take a deep breath and a full wallet). Al Nabooda service centre (I only deal with one agent there) and Audi Middle East have been superb. Since buying this car I have been stopped in traffic by other motorist at least 5 times, asking me to sell the car. There were only 40-50 supplied to the entire Middle East, and consequently there are buyers waiting for RS's to come up for sale.

I also bought a 2009 Landcruiser (the wifes car). With 3 children, 2 dogs, and regular family/friend holidaying with use the Landcruiser ticked all the boxes with its 8 seats and top notch air conditioning, in built roof mount DVD for the children and wipe clean leather makes it an easy car for the family. I love the Landcruiser because it allows us to access the desert for camping/off roading, and our family/friends get to see some of the real middle east, rather than just tall tower and shopping mall lifestyle. Again, I will not be selling this car until we decide to leave. Landcruisers have good resale values so I do not predict the lifetime cost of running to be a worry at all. Al Futtaim service costs are low, and ease of getting the thing serviced is amazing, turn up unannounced, one hour later (or so) and you are finished. Landcruisers/Patrols are the popular choice so it should be easy to sell if we needed to.

If we did ever leave Dubai I might even take the Landcruiser with me, but that would need a petrol card to be included in my package!!!

I think what I am trying to say is that spending money on a car is really a personal choice and you need to justify the purchase to yourself. The longer you plan to keep the vehicle the more the figures look favourable against leasing over the same period. The only advice I can offer is if you are going to splash out, let it be on something you really love, not just something that the 'new car effect' will wear off quickly. If you buy and then get bored in 12-18 months its going to cost you money (i've been there!).

One tip for the car fanatic, let SaraAutoCare www.saraautocare.com look after your car. From paint polishing (removing the swirls), paint protection (a paint sealant to limit damaging effects of the aggressive atmosphere here) and leather conditioning they are brilliant. Glen at Sara AutoCare makes spending money a pleasure! The car looks amazing after a visit to see him (and its not expensive at all).

typical Jul 5th 2010 5:06 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8677227)
  • Don't buy Korean or Chinese (do i really need to explain this?)

Yes, you do. There's a WORLD of difference between Korean and Chinese cars now. I'd happily drive a Hyundai out here.

Of course, this doesn't apply to Korean GMs, but GMs in general are terrible anyway.

KC, take a look at second hand Fords if you don't fancy a 4x4. Their value drops off a cliff in the first year, so a 1-3 year old one is usually really cheap. They're also (relatively) cheap to maintain. The Focus is surprisingly good fun to drive as well as speedy if you get the right engine. And once the big hit has been taken, they're so cheap there's not much further for them to fall.

shikra Jul 5th 2010 5:35 am

I agree with Insellafin, Civic would be an ideal choice to compromise between look and expense.

Millhouse Jul 5th 2010 5:53 am

Originally Posted by matthew.lewis2 (Post 8677773)
One tip for the car fanatic, let SaraAutoCare www.saraautocare.com look after your car. From paint polishing (removing the swirls), paint protection (a paint sealant to limit damaging effects of the aggressive atmosphere here) and leather conditioning they are brilliant. Glen at Sara AutoCare makes spending money a pleasure! The car looks amazing after a visit to see him (and its not expensive at all).

When you say "it's not expensive" - how much? My poor little Pajero could do with some love... It's covered in concrete splats from where I park it next to a building site. Can they take this off?

matthew.lewis2 Jul 5th 2010 6:07 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8677821)
When you say "it's not expensive" - how much? My poor little Pajero could do with some love... It's covered in concrete splats from where I park it next to a building site. Can they take this off?

I reckon Dhs 450, but call them up and ask for Glen, say I recommended you (Matthew Lewis).

You need to ask for 'paint polishing', this will have the paint 'polished' i.e minute surface layer of the paint/laquer polished off, then waxed to protect.

Concrete/paint splats are regular demons that Sara are well used to.

Bahtatboy Jul 5th 2010 6:09 am

1 Attachment(s)
I think I can see you in this:eek:

Attachment 94232

kittycat1 Jul 5th 2010 6:20 am

Thats like a Rock Chick Barbie car!! :rofl:

Not sure i'm after a pimped car to be honest but I'lll consider it ... ok considered it and its a no!

norsk Jul 5th 2010 7:03 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8677774)
Yes, you do. There's a WORLD of difference between Korean and Chinese cars now. I'd happily drive a Hyundai out here.

I was talking in general and maybe I should have split Korean and Chinese. Fair comment. Most Korean cars are still not quite up to the mark though. Hyundai is probably the best of them, but still leaves a lot to be desired. I agree the new Coupe (now called Genesis) looks very nice, but I would have major issues buying one.

I should maybe have added a comment about American cars, but I think most people are aware of the what you get with these cars; cheap and cheerful for the most part with some remarkable exceptions.

For example the Cadillac Escalade is a so-called luxury car (with a price to match). It is still full of badly fitting trim and hard plastics. Not nice if you've ever owned a German car.

However there are loads of positive examples of American cars as well. I have been drooling over the Dodge Challenger a bit lately. Looks awesome, but not cheap and quite sparse in terms of equipment.

If you want a cheap 4x4 (ie can't afford the Land Cruiser, Prado, Pajero, Patrol) and you're not planning on desert safaris then the Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon are very good value for money..

KC - If you decide sensible is the right way for you go for a Ford Focus. Great cars to drive and not expensive. If you want a 4x4 go for a Toyota RAV4 or Fortuner. If you decide cool and fast, go for a Nissan 350Z/370Z..:cool:

Autonomy Jul 5th 2010 7:10 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8677908)
If you want a 4x4 go for a Toyota RAV4 or Fortuner.

you are kidding right?

benzonar Jul 5th 2010 7:13 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8677908)
However there are loads of positive examples of American cars as well. I have been drooling over the Dodge Challenger a bit lately. Looks awesome, but not cheap and quite sparse in terms of equipment.

Challenger is ok, but I prefer the Camaro. Designed by Aussies and built by Canucks - so a true American car :p