Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Cool car vs sensible car

Cool car vs sensible car

Old Jul 8th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cool car vs sensible car

Originally Posted by benzonar
Kitty,

I still think you should go for one of these
My friend bought one of these recently... got to go out in it when i was out there a couple of weeks ago... such a nice car i want one... although because of the heat he said the speedo needle mechanism melted and got stuck.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cham128
My friend bought one of these recently... got to go out in it when i was out there a couple of weeks ago... such a nice car i want one... although because of the heat he said the speedo needle mechanism melted and got stuck.
Not had that problem yet, but then it is always undercover. Also have the remote start so is nice and icy by the time I get in. I'm loving it and still twist my neck whenever I am walking away from it.

Also just recently I've been using it more in sport mode and with the paddle shifters, so much more fun.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE
Black with Black, or something retro like white with lime green stripes or orange with white stripes please....
um how old are you 16
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
um how old are you 16
Grace, I'm sure we have met before or at least made a connection, purely based on your aversion and my whole disinterest of the True Blood series
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
um how old are you 16
I wish, but old enough to know about Classic American Muscle cars and lust after a 1970 Camaro SS!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Grace, I'm sure we have met before or at least made a connection, purely based on your aversion and my whole disinterest of the True Blood series
Um I really don't think so
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE
I wish, but old enough to know about Classic American Muscle cars and lust after a 1970 Camaro SS!

Man o man...while in Jeddah I had the opportunity to drive a 1971 Riviera "boattail" for a few days. Talk about a car, felt I was captain of my very own spaceship!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Not had that problem yet, but then it is always undercover. Also have the remote start so is nice and icy by the time I get in. I'm loving it and still twist my neck whenever I am walking away from it.

Also just recently I've been using it more in sport mode and with the paddle shifters, so much more fun.
I think the speedo needle was actually one of those un-advertised recalls... basically if you don't ask they won't mention it.

but I'm totally in love with that car... i did want a challenger until i sat inside and realised just how crappy the interior was, at least on the camaro it looks like they actually spent a lot of time and money on the design and materials
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:52 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Camaros are great. That said, I'm hoping the next car will be a shelby
I recently debated the same thing and reached all the same conclusions.

1. I drive too much to eff around
2. Why the hell not?
3. 1-2 years old is perfect and Fords depreciate the worst from new and resell ok so ideal for nearly new used cars.
4. Do not buy from a private seller if you can help it.

I wound up with a realllllllly nice 2008 Mustang GT. It was almost the cheapest used car avail at the dealers that met my criteria (2008 or better low kms and a little fun). The cheapest was a 2009 Volvo S40 but that just doesn't tick the right boxes for me. Also hard to offload.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
i dont imagine you do any more or less than anyone else, and most other peoples batteries last a lot more than a year.

We had 3 years out of our Prado's battery.
what sometimes i am driving up and down wacky races 8 times over the bridge and around town, quite a bit i would say.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
well i use them duh, am driving up and down the road a lot, driving in wacky races and dodging the flashers, sorry am i not meant to be driving my car?
Well we all use the cars - ours does many starts and often short runs, several times a day.

Battery number 1 - 3 years
Battery number 2 - 6 months (but see previous posts)
Battery number 3 - 6 months so far...

My Pajero - which is cursed by short runs is still on the original battery at 4 years old.