Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Cool car vs sensible car

Cool car vs sensible car

Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:25 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cool car vs sensible car

Originally Posted by MataHari
errrrrrrrrrrr...I am the last person to want a sensible car...but KC is always posting she is unhappy here, only staying to save money etc etc...hence my advice...
I hear you... see above....
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
don't listen to any of them. they're all boring. you are living the dream in the sun. get a soft top.... can be jeep and tough, can be sleek and SLK, can even be a Frenchie 206 CC... you've come this far, drive around with the top down....

pipe and slippers anyone?
DO NOT GET A SOFT TOP...............

Mine is and the effing thing has caused so many problems, soft tops are not meant for 40 above temp.

Convs are great, but TBH, even in the winter, I hardly ever put the roof down.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:34 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
I hardly ever put the roof down.
haha... pipe and slippers for O'Malley.....
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get a mini or a Yaris coz you'll be Hummer bait.

Pathfinder?
FJ cruiser?
Pajero?

Who said cool can't be practical?

totally agree that a sports coupe is wasted here though.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
haha... pipe and slippers for O'Malley.....
ha ha probably, but the truth is most of my driving is around town, so can not be bothered putting it up and down, pain in the ass and the novelty wore off quite quickly and big hair is so not a good look, (Bridget Jones scene if you know what I mean

With hindsight, oh what a wonderful thing, it was really a stupid buy but i loved it

Last edited by Grace O Malley; Jul 4th 2010 at 5:48 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok. Here's my few bits of advice which is naturally more valuable than anyone else on here.

1. Buy a car that you can sell quickly.

2. Buy a car that gets you most of your money back.

So what does that get you?

A Japanese 4x4. Toyotas and Mitsubishis (the Fortuners, Prados and Pajeros) are probably the best car in terms of value and resale. They are exceedingly popular. Plus they have generally very good warranties and servicing is cheap once the warranty expires.

Forget the fancy European cars. They may be a beaut to look at but not out here when they are a dime a dozen and every scratch or ding is going to be painful.

Don't get the Minis - horrible resale value and awful servicing charges.

Don't get the Saab. PRobably the worst resale value of the 'luxury' car level.

Don't get a Wrangler. Damned uncomfortable to drive.

If you want something that has a cool factor higher than a Yaris look at the 3-door Pajero. It's a 4x4 but not as awkward as the larger ones may be.

Probably the absolute best savers are the 10 year old cars. Had a friend who bought a 10 year old Jeep for 10K. Drove it for 18 months, and resold it to some dude in Sharjah for....10K. You should easily buy a 5 year old, say Pajero, for 30 or 40K and resell easily after a year or two with only minimal losses. The one downside is the lack of a warranty.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:03 pm
Powered by cows

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
With hindsight, oh what a wonderful thing, it was really a stupid buy but i loved it
exactly.... we look back on the wonderful with love and affection..... a yaris can go and **** off....
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Matahari-

This is completely where I'm confused, the sensible part of me which is thinking house deposit and is shouting get the cheapest most economical car, but the fun side of me wants to get something cool as to be honest Ive never bought a new car and wouldn't be able to afford it at home, and with all the offers on here its very very tempting. Whether I like it here or not I will be staying til the end of my contract so have over 2 years left here so am trying to do whatever I need to to enjoy it and having a nice car could help, but also buying my own place when I go home would make me happier in the long run- oh god Im going to have to be sensible aren't I...

Dilema Dilema Dilema.

I'm away quite a bit over the next few months so might sit on it a bit longer and just carry on cabbing it for a couple more months.

I'm so confused
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Ok. Here's my few bits of advice which is naturally more valuable than anyone else on here.

1. Buy a car that you can sell quickly.

2. Buy a car that gets you most of your money back.

So what does that get you?

A Japanese 4x4. Toyotas and Mitsubishis (the Fortuners, Prados and Pajeros) are probably the best car in terms of value and resale. They are exceedingly popular. Plus they have generally very good warranties and servicing is cheap once the warranty expires.

Forget the fancy European cars. They may be a beaut to look at but not out here when they are a dime a dozen and every scratch or ding is going to be painful.

Don't get the Minis - horrible resale value and awful servicing charges.

Don't get the Saab. PRobably the worst resale value of the 'luxury' car level.

Don't get a Wrangler. Damned uncomfortable to drive.

If you want something that has a cool factor higher than a Yaris look at the 3-door Pajero. It's a 4x4 but not as awkward as the larger ones may be.

Probably the absolute best savers are the 10 year old cars. Had a friend who bought a 10 year old Jeep for 10K. Drove it for 18 months, and resold it to some dude in Sharjah for....10K. You should easily buy a 5 year old, say Pajero, for 30 or 40K and resell easily after a year or two with only minimal losses. The one downside is the lack of a warranty.
Totally agree with this post.

I have a 3.0 SWB Pajero and a 4.0 Fortuner. In my view, the Pajero is shite but they are popular and despite me having offroaded it, had a concrete mixer drive down the side of it and scrapped it down the wall of the underground car park the day I bought it I know that I could sell it tomorrow.

I looked into this carefully, a yaris to hire costs around 22k/ year. I paid 40k for my 2006 Pajero last year and despite the abuse I can easily sell it for more than 18k tomorrow. I have had the benefit of a much better car, some fun offroad and if I had to sell it tomorrow it would still be cheaper than leasing a yaris...

The Fortuner is an awesome car - fast and a tank. Sadly the misses stoved that into the back of someone and I've had the front rebuilt. If I had to sell that tomorrow I'm sure that I would lose money on that one but you can't win them all. I will hold that car until it's death.

By means of a reference, when the Fortuner was in the garage being fixed - renting a Prado for a month was 6k and a shitty outlander 3.5k / month.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:54 pm