Cooking Apples?

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default Cooking Apples?

Does anyone know if they are available here? I'm gagging for some Apple Crumble!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:51 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking Apples?

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
Does anyone know if they are available here? I'm gagging for some Apple Crumble!!!
Meow!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked her this question a few weeks ago you just have to use ordinary dessert apples
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Sorry but are dessert apples normal apples? I've not heard of them before. Won't normal apples over cook very quickly and give you mush instead of chunks of apple?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:09 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but are dessert apples normal apples? I've not heard of them before. Won't normal apples over cook very quickly and give you mush instead of chunks of apple?
I am no expert on such things, you need to speak to Meow, I was making apple sauce and used red apples it was fine
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:38 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a somewhat tart flavour use the American Green Apples/Granny Smith apples, just a little sugar (as the crumble is quite sweet) and a sprinkling of cinnamom between each layer of sliced raw apples in the baking dish.

Then serve with lashings of clotted cream (available in UHT form but not bad in Spinneys), ice cream or custard. Mmmm, think I may have to make this myself now
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:44 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by hnd
If you want a somewhat tart flavour use the American Green Apples/Granny Smith apples, just a little sugar (as the crumble is quite sweet) and a sprinkling of cinnamom between each layer of sliced raw apples in the baking dish.

Then serve with lashings of clotted cream (available in UHT form but not bad in Spinneys), ice cream or custard. Mmmm, think I may have to make this myself now
good then we can get Alex to blog about it
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Add a bit lemon juice to give the apple sauce more flavour.
If available use a Jonagold.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:04 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I am no expert on such things, you need to speak to Meow, I was making apple sauce and used red apples it was fine

Bigtaff - in the UK when we refer to cooking applies we usually mean Bramleys and they are the ones that go soft quickly when cooked. Dessert (i.e normal eating) applies take longer to soften in most cases.

I just use dessert apples and adjust sugar levels if necessary.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also buy apple pie filling in a tin.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:07 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Wash your mouth out!

What can be easier than peeling & chopping a few apples, rather than eating tinned mush?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
Wash your mouth out!

What can be easier than peeling & chopping a few apples, rather than eating tinned mush?
But they all seem to have worms here.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:09 pm
Bored liberal

But they all seem to have worms here.
Oh dear, you really must be buying the cheapest crap then. I have never found a worm in an apple.

I was about to suggest that fresh is cheaper than tinned mush too!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:12 pm
Concierge

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

It has to be fresh apples or I will go without!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:21 pm
Concierge

It has to be fresh apples or I will go without!!!
get your arse along too Choithrams then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.