Cooking

Old Apr 23rd 2019, 1:42 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking

Originally Posted by TheShed

Ref your point on the Chilli seeds and people’s preference, once cooked it’s the seeds that provide the peppery heat whereas the flesh gives more of a sweeter Chilli flavor. Sure you knew that but some may not.
Mrs hnd likes the taste of chili but not the heat so, if you like things hot you could stir in a spoonful or two of sambal ikan bilis (chili paste with dried, fried and ground anchovies).
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 1:43 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
So, please share any great recipes, good recipes, simple recipes, mid-week can't be bothered recipes. I would love to keep seeing some great ideas for dinners involving anything.
I work away a lot so am a great fan of simple 'one-pot' quick dinners. The above anchvoy/pilchard dishes sound great, not dissimilar to a regular of mine which I imaginatively call "Rice & Mackerel & Peas"...

One cup of rice
One veggie stock cube
Two cups boiling water

Add the water to the rice and stock cube, leave to simmer with the lid off. Do not stir, just let the water absorb.
Once the rice is cooked, stir it to fluff it up and add a tin of peas or a big handful of frozen peas, allow to warm through.

Flake up 2 peppered mackerel fillets and stir through the rice & peas. You now have Rice & Mackerel & Peas.

Add a big squirt of sriracha sauce to finish, et voila! 10 minutes start to finish.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

From gourmet cooking to student grub in 2 pages

I can't remember who said it, but i'm a strong believer in the 5 ingredient meal. They are the ones i generally teach the maid.

Last edited by Millhouse; Apr 23rd 2019 at 3:06 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 2:30 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I can't remember who said it, but i'm a strong delivered in the 5 ingredient meal. They are the ones i generally teach the maid.
I thought the brief was "quick, midweek, can't-be-bothered-cooking meals..."
Old Apr 24th 2019, 5:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I can't remember who said it, but i'm a strong believer in the 5 ingredient meal. They are the ones i generally teach the maid.
Jamie Oliver made good money out of a 5-ingredient cook book. It's alright too, even though they all use more than 5 because the 'pantry list' is a dozen pages.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I thought the brief was "quick, midweek, can't-be-bothered-cooking meals..."
It's anything anyone is willing to share with the crowd. I'm not judging anyone who eats tinned fish, that's up to them....but I can replace whatever a pilchard is with chicken or beef or something so the recipes still have great value

Also, anything that has a step containing "a big squirt of Sriracha" is a ****ing winner in my books.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie Oliver made good money out of a 5-ingredient cook book. It's alright too, even though they all use more than 5 because the 'pantry list' is a dozen pages.

It's anything anyone is willing to share with the crowd. I'm not judging anyone who eats tinned fish, that's up to them....but I can replace whatever a pilchard is with chicken or beef or something so the recipes still have great value

Also, anything that has a step containing "a big squirt of Sriracha" is a ****ing winner in my books.
Indeed. That’s the magic sauce that can turn any kitchen disaster into something edible.

Spag bol for me tonight.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 5:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Indeed. That’s the magic sauce that can turn any kitchen disaster into something edible.

Spag bol for me tonight.
It's just the greatest.

Spag bol is an all time favourite of mine. Unfortunately the mrs isn't a big fan but when she goes away or I have a clear night it's on the menu without fail.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's just the greatest.

Spag bol is an all time favourite of mine. Unfortunately the mrs isn't a big fan but when she goes away or I have a clear night it's on the menu without fail.
it’s a decent low ingredient meal that can also be broken down into a few simple cooking steps. Ive typed it up and laminated it for the PA.

hey Susana, cook spag Bol tonight.
yes king.

Beats Siri any day. although I’ll admit Siri understands more of what I say.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 8:35 am
Account Closed

it’s a decent low ingredient meal that can also be broken down into a few simple cooking steps. Ive typed it up and laminated it for the PA.

hey Susana, cook spag Bol tonight.
yes king.

Beats Siri any day. although I’ll admit Siri understands more of what I say.
You also can't really **** it up and have free reign to go wild. I chuck in all sorts of shit from time to time and have probably never, ever made a real Italian bolognese sauce.....but who cares.

My assistant at work sometimes struggles to articulate certain things to me, which is fine and leads to some amusing conversations. She never fails to understand me though - you clearly aren't employing the louder, shoutier, swearier option enough (caveat: never any of those things at her, she's an angel, but demonstrating upset at another idiot means she focuses double hard).
Old Apr 24th 2019, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You also can't really **** it up and have free reign to go wild. I chuck in all sorts of shit from time to time and have probably never, ever made a real Italian bolognese sauce.....but who cares.

My assistant at work sometimes struggles to articulate certain things to me, which is fine and leads to some amusing conversations. She never fails to understand me though - you clearly aren't employing the louder, shoutier, swearier option enough (caveat: never any of those things at her, she's an angel, but demonstrating upset at another idiot means she focuses double hard).
I really like mine, she is fun and works very hard. Years of being abused by locals mean she has very low expectations and therefore high degrees of happiness in the millhouse household - a specific requirement when we were looking for an FHM (filipina housemaid). She also loves cooking (was initially terrible but since I've laminated the menu cards she has become super confident and great) - she even made a very passable roast with proper potatoes last night. I'm a firm believer in that you catch more flies with honey so am always super nice to her - but she's been warned by my wife that deep down I am actually an asshole so always better to not abuse the kindness.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 8:50 am
Account Closed

I really like mine, she is fun and works very hard. Years of being abused by locals mean she has very low expectations and therefore high degrees of happiness in the millhouse household - a specific requirement when we were looking for an FHM (filipina housemaid). She also loves cooking (was initially terrible but since I've laminated the menu cards she has become super confident and great) - she even made a very passable roast with proper potatoes last night. I'm a firm believer in that you catch more flies with honey so am always super nice to her - but she's been warned by my wife that deep down I am actually an asshole so always better to not abuse the kindness.
Great work. I agree with that attitude too. The girls at work would go way above and beyond if we ever needed and are just a pleasure to be around. Giving them a happy environment, treating them well, ensuring they get good bonuses, buying birthday and Xmas gifts, being polite, being considerate....all that bollocks. It means we get it back in spades.

flies with honey - hadn't heard that in a while. Will keep that in mind a bit more as I'm getting grumpier at work.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

For Bol sauce, what mince do you use? For me it's pork and chicken, the fattiness of the pork makes up for the non-fatty chicken.

I don't use beef for that, I see it as a waste.

PS, for my supper tonight, I'm having cauli, black pepper and some butter, that's it.

Last edited by IKnowNothing; Apr 24th 2019 at 1:56 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Cooking is pretty easy, isn't it. Waitrose, microwave/pot of boiling water, two minutes later you're done.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 3:07 pm
home

Forsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
What about a lamb karahi (?)

Put lamb in a work, fill it with water til the meat is covered - leave for 20 mins

when the water evaporates you will be left with a decent curry and decent gravy which cooks itself
Use little to NO water, let the lamb stew in its own juice on low heat. Additional liquid will come from the onion, tomatoes and a squeeze of lemon. Taste the difference.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
For Bol sauce, what mince do you use? For me it's pork and chicken, the fattiness of the pork makes up for the non-fatty chicken.

I don't use beef for that, I see it as a waste.

PS, for my supper tonight, I'm having cauli, black pepper and some butter, that's it.
I use beef generally....however, I'm under the understanding pork is better and have used it a few times, or as a mix with beef. I've even used sausage meat before as a pork mince substitute.

Chicken mince with a shit load of taco seasoning, served with some sweetcorn mix (made at home in minutes: sweetcorn, red onion, peppers, jalapenos, literally anything else you fancy) and some rice. LOVELY.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.