Cooking

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 7:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Cooking

I know TheShed is probably our most qualified kitchen dweller but I wanted to share something I cooked last night and personally, I think it was the bollocks.

Chicken, chopped up, big pan. Chuck in some bacon (I just scissored some rashers left over instead of buying pancetta / lardons).
Season it well, bit of paprika and a sensible serving of turmeric because that stuff is the shit but not so much you think - what the **** was Scamp doing, why is there chicken with my turmeric.
Peas, sweetcorn, pasta (wholeweat twisty bad boy things), boiled up and mixed in with the chicken and bacon.
Double cream and a small splash of water to rinse to pot out.
Mixed some more and cream warmed / cooked through for a few mins until everything is coated and a glorious deep yellow from the turmeric.
Bit of cheese on top.
Bit of garlic bread on the side.

Easy as shit but one seriously tasty Sunday night dinner to watch the football with. I'm going to get back into the habit of making proper good home cooked food, adding more veg (ideally, but not always) and not worrying about whether there are 3 or 4 types of leaf in the salad and weighing shit etc etc.

So, please share any great recipes, good recipes, simple recipes, mid-week can't be bothered recipes. I would love to keep seeing some great ideas for dinners involving anything.

(Note: If they fall into keto gluten-free vegan hipster category then they'd better be special. In fact, just don't bother with vegan because most vegans don't know that half the stuff they eat isn't even vegan so it's just a myth for ***** to make themselves look more cunty.)

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 8:50 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking

Originally Posted by Scamp
I know TheShed is probably our most qualified kitchen dweller but I wanted to share something I cooked last night and personally, I think it was the bollocks.

Chicken, chopped up, big pan. Chuck in some bacon (I just scissored some rashers left over instead of buying pancetta / lardons).
Season it well, bit of paprika and a sensible serving of turmeric because that stuff is the shit but not so much you think - what the **** was Scamp doing, why is there chicken with my turmeric.
Peas, sweetcorn, pasta (wholeweat twisty bad boy things), boiled up and mixed in with the chicken and bacon.
Mixed some more and cream warmed / cooked through for a few mins until everything is coated and a glorious deep yellow from the turmeric.
Bit of cheese on top.

Easy as shit but one seriously tasty Sunday night dinner to watch the football with. I'm going to get back into the habit of making proper good home cooked food, adding more veg (ideally, but not always) and not worrying about whether there are 3 or 4 types of leaf in the salad and weighing shit etc etc.

So, please share any great recipes, good recipes, simple recipes, mid-week can't be bothered recipes. I would love to keep seeing some great ideas for dinners involving anything.

(Note: If they fall into keto gluten-free vegan hipster category then they'd better be special. In fact, just don't bother with vegan because most vegans don't know that half the stuff they eat isn't even vegan so it's just a myth for ***** to make themselves look more cunty.)
Does sounds rather good Scamp (although, I'm not sure its that healthy with the cream . I'll have a look through my recipes and find you some other one pot wonders which are quick and easy if you like.

One thing to look at if you want to get back to cooking (and batch cooking) are the current cooking apps. The best two apps I' ve found so far are AllRecipes which has some nice functionality that allows you to add a few items you have in the cupboard (or items that you particularly like) and it will then come up with compatible recipes.

The other app is AnyList which will import recipes from virtually any web page and the best bit is, it will then add the ingredients to your shared grocery list. Mrs Shed and I often spend 30 mins here or there planning the following weeks meals, add all the ingredients to the shopping list and then hit Kibsons and grocery other delivery sites. Makes life very simple and also encourages you to look for good food and plan a decent diet. The shared grocery list is available in real time across both of our phones, so whoever nips into the supermarket mid week can see what's on the list or not :-)
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 6:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by TheShed
Does sounds rather good Scamp (although, I'm not sure its that healthy with the cream . I'll have a look through my recipes and find you some other one pot wonders which are quick and easy if you like.

One thing to look at if you want to get back to cooking (and batch cooking) are the current cooking apps. The best two apps I' ve found so far are AllRecipes which has some nice functionality that allows you to add a few items you have in the cupboard (or items that you particularly like) and it will then come up with compatible recipes.

The other app is AnyList which will import recipes from virtually any web page and the best bit is, it will then add the ingredients to your shared grocery list. Mrs Shed and I often spend 30 mins here or there planning the following weeks meals, add all the ingredients to the shopping list and then hit Kibsons and grocery other delivery sites. Makes life very simple and also encourages you to look for good food and plan a decent diet. The shared grocery list is available in real time across both of our phones, so whoever nips into the supermarket mid week can see what's on the list or not :-)
TheShed is living in 3019 whilst I'm some sort of 21st century pleb.

What's the shopping list app called please?
I'm going to have a play with these later. It's the perfect way of finding new ideas, using old ideas and spending 5 mins here and there adding to it.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of cheese on top.

I do a mean butternut squash and bacon risotto. Peeling and cutting the butternut squash into cubes is an pain but its a nice dish

Roast butternut squash
Fry onions and streaky bacon in pan, add a garlic clove and a chopped red chilli, pop in risotto rice and add hot water ( stock cube added) every 2 mins for 25 mins
Add roasted squash and a handful of parmesan cheese. Its a lovely dish and you usually get 5-6 portions and it freezes well
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 6:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by reddiva
I do a mean butternut squash and bacon risotto. Peeling and cutting the butternut squash into cubes is an pain but its a nice dish

Roast butternut squash
Fry onions and streaky bacon in pan, add a garlic clove and a chopped red chilli, pop in risotto rice and add hot water ( stock cube added) every 2 mins for 25 mins
Add roasted squash and a handful of parmesan cheese. Its a lovely dish and you usually get 5-6 portions and it freezes well
Holy shit that sounds good. Thank you
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

What about a lamb karahi (?)

Put lamb in a work, fill it with water til the meat is covered - leave for 20 mins
Put in onions - leave for 10 mins
Throw any spices (curry powder, cumin, chilli, etc)
Throw in tomatos - leave for 10 mins
when the water evaporates you will be left with a decent curry and decent gravy which cooks itself
Pour in some oil and slide fresh chillies and sliced ginger

You can use the same method to cook chicken as well

Nice and simple one pot curry which doesnt require you to stand over it and reduces clusterfuk to a minimum

In terms for recipes (and trying to be semi-healthy) i try to find recipes with only 5 ingredients which tends to reduce my groceries and increases my veg intake

Last edited by UKCityGent; Apr 23rd 2019 at 7:37 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 7:36 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

TheShed is living in 3019 whilst I'm some sort of 21st century pleb.

What's the shopping list app called please?
I'm going to have a play with these later. It's the perfect way of finding new ideas, using old ideas and spending 5 mins here and there adding to it.
The shopping list app is actually a generic list which has a specific section for recipes and shopping lists. Search App Store for AnyList. Also works with Siri and Alexa so when cooking "hey Siri, add butter to the shared grocery list"
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The shopping list app is actually a generic list which has a specific section for recipes and shopping lists. Search App Store for AnyList. Also works with Siri and Alexa so when cooking "hey Siri, add butter to the shared grocery list"
hey Siri, add butter to the shared list
“rubber added to the shared grocery list”
hey Siri, remove rubber from the shared grocery lis
”butter not found on the shared grocery list”
hey Siri, remove RUBBer from the shared grocery list
”I’m sorry, I don’t know what Cupper is. Do you mean cuppa soup?”

endless
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 9:05 am
Wannabe Cycling God

Originally Posted by Millhouse

hey Siri, add butter to the shared list
“rubber added to the shared grocery list”
hey Siri, remove rubber from the shared grocery lis
”butter not found on the shared grocery list”
hey Siri, remove RUBBer from the shared grocery list
”I’m sorry, I don’t know what Cupper is. Do you mean cuppa soup?”

endless
To be fair Milly, I was suspicious of Siri on my phone, but we have a HomePod and it really does work amazingly :-)

Hey Siri, set an alarm called potatoes/curry/fish etc is a god send when cooking multiple items at once
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Holy shit that sounds good. Thank you
A friend in the UK does Hello Fresh and it is one of their recipes
They do some really good ones
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair Milly, I was suspicious of Siri on my phone, but we have a HomePod and it really does work amazingly :-)

Hey Siri, set an alarm called potatoes/curry/fish etc is a god send when cooking multiple items at once
fair enough - Alexa doesn’t understand a word I say; it’s probably me not her though.

I second your allreceipes. I don’t use the app but do use the website. The carrot cake is superb - my only gripe is American measurements of cups - I like to measure by weight not by volume.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 10:46 am
Account Closed

I second your allreceipes. I don’t use the app but do use the website. The carrot cake is superb - my only gripe is American measurements of cups - I like to measure by weight not by volume.
I have a sheet taped inside a cupboard with charts for just this reason. I'm THAT sad.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 12:27 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

For those who like tinned anchovies, this quick pasta sauce cooks in the time it takes to cook the pasta - between 7 and 10 minutes. If you have time use a whole bulb of roasted garlic but, as this takes about 45 minutes, you can substitute 2 cloves of minced/crushed garlic. Serves 2

Bring salted water to a rolling boil and cook your pasta - fettuccine works well.

Into a large sauté pan/wok (large enough comfortably to take all the pasta) empty two small tins of anchovies including their oil and mash down with a wooden spoon. Then add the garlic (either roasted or raw), one large red chili chopped (with or without seeds - up to you), and a handful of freshly chopped parsley and a couple of handfuls of frozen peas. Warm through over a medium heat.

When the pasta is cooked ladle/fork it into the anchovy sauce along with a few spoonfuls of the cooking water and toss to combine. Use enough cooking water to make the sauce liquid enough to coat the pasta.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 12:50 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

fair enough - Alexa doesn’t understand a word I say; it’s probably me not her though.

hey Siri, concert x cups to ML !!!!!!! Just saying.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 12:55 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

Originally Posted by hnd
For those who like tinned anchovies, this quick pasta sauce cooks in the time it takes to cook the pasta - between 7 and 10 minutes. If you have time use a whole bulb of roasted garlic but, as this takes about 45 minutes, you can substitute 2 cloves of minced/crushed garlic. Serves 2

Bring salted water to a rolling boil and cook your pasta - fettuccine works well.

Into a large sauté pan/wok (large enough comfortably to take all the pasta) empty two small tins of anchovies including their oil and mash down with a wooden spoon. Then add the garlic (either roasted or raw), one large red chili chopped (with or without seeds - up to you), and a handful of freshly chopped parsley and a couple of handfuls of frozen peas. Warm through over a medium heat.

When the pasta is cooked ladle/fork it into the anchovy sauce along with a few spoonfuls of the cooking water and toss to combine. Use enough cooking water to make the sauce liquid enough to coat the pasta.
that is one of my Goto, after pub snacks. Only difference is I use tinned Pilchards in tomato sauce. Totally delicious. If you want to take it up a level, grill some sardines with lemon and garlic and then chop them into home made bolognaise sauce with Chilli and it becomes quite a substantial dinner.

Ref your point on the Chilli seeds and people’s preference, once cooked it’s the seeds that provide the peppery heat whereas the flesh gives more of a sweeter Chilli flavor. Sure you knew that but some may not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.