Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Conspicuous Consumption

Conspicuous Consumption

Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conspicuous Consumption

Originally Posted by Meow
You really think a wealthy Saudi isn't a Muslim??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...n_Saudi_Arabia

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is an Islamic theocratic monarchy in which Islam is the official religion. Although no law requires citizens or passport holders to be Muslim, almost all citizens are Muslims. Non-islamic proselytism is illegal, and conversion by Muslims to another religion (apostasy) carries the death penalty. As of 2010, there had been no confirmed reports of executions for apostasy for several years.[2] In February 2012, King Abdullah ordered Hamza Kashgari to be arrested after three Twitter messages of his were interpreted as insults to Mohammad.

Religious freedom is virtually non-existent. The Government does not provide legal recognition or protection for freedom of religion, and it is severely restricted in practice. As a matter of policy, the Government guarantees and protects the right to private worship for all, including non-Muslims who gather in homes for religious practice; however, this right is not always respected in practice and is not defined in law. Moreover, the public practice of non-Muslim religions is prohibited. The Saudi Mutaween (Arabic: مطوعين), or Committee for the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (i.e., the religious police) enforces the prohibition on the public practice of non-Muslim religions. Sharia Law applies to all people inside Saudi Arabia, regardless of religion.
Hey Meow, I ain't getting into an argument with you, I openly admit you are more knowledgeable than me on everything.

But I do have a grin when your best defence is a wikipedia article . It's like me quoting the drivel that Ethos wrotes - utter bollocks at best.

Go on, admit you have assumed they dude is Muslim without knowing. Your probably correct mind.

Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

If he is a Saudi Citizen then he must be a Muslim. The bar manager is a prize tit for putting this in the press. The rich Saudi will be pissed off for having his name in the press for drinking and I'm guessing the CID will be having a word with him.

It's his money and he can spend it how he wishes
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Hey Meow, I ain't getting into an argument with you, I openly admit you are more knowledgeable than me on everything.

But I do have a grin when your best defence is a wikipedia article . It's like me quoting the drivel that Ethos wrotes - utter bollocks at best.

Go on, admit you have assumed they dude is Muslim without knowing. Your probably correct mind.

I'm too busy & too lazy to type a long explanation!!

Yes, I did assume, but I bet everyone else did too. Including you!

Bet I'm right though...
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:48 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
VeEven if he is and likes a drink, is that any more hypocrtical than a christian that doesn't go to church every Sunday or that can't be arsed fasting during Maundy Thursday, or gives presents from Santa on the 25th December, choosing that over the birth of the bearded dude from god?
Yes, because people are imprisoned and whipped for drinking alcohol in Saudi, and Muslims are united in their belief that drinking alcohol is strictly against their...er...beliefs.