British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Conspicuous Consumption (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/conspicuous-consumption-753716/)

mentalist Apr 3rd 2012 3:52 pm

Conspicuous Consumption

Typical Saudi behaviour by someone obviously with no social conscience. Quite frankly it turned my stomach. Maybe others on here do not agree.
http://www.7days.me/2012/04/half-a-m...tle-of-bubbly/

Dexter Manley Apr 3rd 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Conspicuous Consumption

I've had a glass of wine from a $100,000 bottle once.

It was good

OleJanx Apr 3rd 2012 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9987179)
Typical Saudi behaviour by someone obviously with no social conscience. Quite frankly it turned my stomach. Maybe others on here do not agree.
http://www.7days.me/2012/04/half-a-m...tle-of-bubbly/

Some of the comments are interesting....

(And I see Duelling Banjos is back...)

Victor Meldrew Apr 3rd 2012 4:36 pm

I guess it depends what he does with the rest of his wealth.

Does he give his 10% (?) to charity? if so, why shouldn't he spend his spare cash how he wants? (even though i wouldn't do what he has done)

It's comparative.

'You' earn £4,000 in a month, give £100 to charity and then buy a £500 iPhone

'He' earns 4,000,000 aed in a month (maybe), gives 100,000 aed to charity (maybe) and spends 500,000 aed on a bottle of bubbly

Boomhauer Apr 3rd 2012 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 9987256)
I guess it depends what he does with the rest of his wealth.

Does he give his 10% (?) to charity? if so, why shouldn't he spend his spare cash how he wants? (even though i wouldn't do what he has done)

It's comparative.

'You' earn £4,000 in a month, give £100 to charity and then buy a £500 iPhone

'He' earns 4,000,000 aed in a month (maybe), gives 100,000 aed to charity (maybe) and spends 500,000 aed on a bottle of bubbly

As you say if he donates a good chunk of his wealth to charity, nothing really bad about it...but somehow I doubt a Saudi donates any meaningfull sum to charities and peoples who are not Sunni Muslim.

Alexa Apr 3rd 2012 6:13 pm

I do not like if people judge what I do with my money, so I won't judge what others do with theirs.

Desert Shaikh Apr 3rd 2012 11:24 pm

The man has money and can afford to spend 500k on a drink.

I have less and cannot afford to spend 500k on a drink.

Big deal.

Boomhauer Apr 4th 2012 12:00 am

By the way, what makes it worth 500,000 dirahms?
I can sort of understand a very old vine that has taken centuries to age or some liquor that went down with some centuries old ship etc...but this is a contemporary drink isn't it?

The Dean Apr 4th 2012 2:38 am

We've had some Cavalli Club stories before, not long ago.......

My concern is that, if this vintage is so 'special', why is it on sale at all? This idiot has destroyed it, because this club decided he was worthy of drinking it.

"There are only three paintings by Renoir left in existence - I'm rich, so I'm going to buy one, and tear it in half with a chainsaw......" :frown:

Paracletus Apr 4th 2012 3:04 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9988130)
We've had some Cavalli Club stories before, not long ago.......

My concern is that, if this vintage is so 'special', why is it on sale at all? This idiot has destroyed it, because this club decided he was worthy of drinking it.

"There are only three paintings by Renoir left in existence - I'm rich, so I'm going to buy one, and tear it in half with a chainsaw......" :frown:

Yup..money..it can buy you whatever you want eventually, if you are willing to spend it.

Personally, I don't care about this incident. I'd never do it..but yeah, if buying a 500k bottle was nothing, I guess my perspective would be different..

Meow Apr 4th 2012 5:51 am

I really don't care that this man spends so much money, but the hypocrisy of buying and drinking alcohol as a Saudi Muslim? That's a whole different matter.

Kix Apr 4th 2012 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9988307)
I really don't care that this man spends so much money, but the hypocrisy of buying and drinking alcohol as a Saudi Muslim? That's a whole different matter.

Exactly, that's just what I thought.

Meow Apr 4th 2012 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 9988322)
Exactly, that's just what I thought.

And isn't it illegal to sell alcohol to Muslims? Is Cavalli Club being fined for breaking the law?

:rolleyes:

Brains1983 Apr 4th 2012 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9988307)

Very presumptious of you there Meow, I can't see any reference to him being or claiming to be a muslim?

Even if he is and likes a drink, is that any more hypocrtical than a christian that doesn't go to church every Sunday or that can't be arsed fasting during Maundy Thursday, or gives presents from Santa on the 25th December, choosing that over the birth of the bearded dude from god?

If he's got the money, spend it. Personally, I'd have told the bar manager the bottle seemed tepid, and flown the one from New York instead!

Meow Apr 4th 2012 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9988354)
Very presumptious of you there Meow, I can't see any reference to him being or claiming to be a muslim?

Even if he is and likes a drink, is that any more hypocrtical than a christian that doesn't go to church every Sunday or that can't be arsed fasting during Maundy Thursday, or gives presents from Santa on the 25th December, choosing that over the birth of the bearded dude from god?

If he's got the money, spend it. Personally, I'd have told the bar manager the bottle seemed tepid, and flown the one from New York instead!

You really think a wealthy Saudi isn't a Muslim??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...n_Saudi_Arabia

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is an Islamic theocratic monarchy in which Islam is the official religion. Although no law requires citizens or passport holders to be Muslim, almost all citizens are Muslims. Non-islamic proselytism is illegal, and conversion by Muslims to another religion (apostasy) carries the death penalty. As of 2010, there had been no confirmed reports of executions for apostasy for several years.[2] In February 2012, King Abdullah ordered Hamza Kashgari to be arrested after three Twitter messages of his were interpreted as insults to Mohammad.

Religious freedom is virtually non-existent. The Government does not provide legal recognition or protection for freedom of religion, and it is severely restricted in practice. As a matter of policy, the Government guarantees and protects the right to private worship for all, including non-Muslims who gather in homes for religious practice; however, this right is not always respected in practice and is not defined in law. Moreover, the public practice of non-Muslim religions is prohibited. The Saudi Mutaween (Arabic: مطوعين), or Committee for the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (i.e., the religious police) enforces the prohibition on the public practice of non-Muslim religions. Sharia Law applies to all people inside Saudi Arabia, regardless of religion.