British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Congratulations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/congratulations-628352/)

Inselaffen Aug 31st 2009 2:21 am

Congratulations

to the England Men's hockey team for becoming European Champions!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ey/8228522.stm

The Dean Aug 31st 2009 3:34 am

Re: Congratulations

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7890202)
to the England Men's hockey team for becoming European Champions!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ey/8228522.stm

Without Sean Kerly??? How???

Inselaffen Aug 31st 2009 4:31 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7890304)
Without Sean Kerly??? How???

quite surprising. we havnt had a decent team for a few years. watched the recording of the final this morning and they do look a decent team.

of course it is getting zero media coverage back home. wasn't even on the BBC sport front page!

lionheart Aug 31st 2009 4:59 am

Bugger me! Next we will be winning The Ashes:)

Inselaffen Aug 31st 2009 5:22 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7890419)
Bugger me! Next we will be winning The Ashes:)

next thing Citeh will be winning something :blink::eek:

lionheart Aug 31st 2009 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7890455)
next thing Citeh will be winning something :blink::eek:

We won a trophy over in some place called the Neu Camp the other week. :thumbup:

Inselaffen Aug 31st 2009 6:11 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7890490)
We won a trophy over in some place called the Neu Camp the other week. :thumbup:

some mikey mouse cup in an untelevised friendly match against Barcelona reserves does not mean winning something!

lionheart Aug 31st 2009 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7890544)
some mikey mouse cup in an untelevised friendly match against Barcelona reserves does not mean winning something!

It seems it was televised across North America on ESPN and I didn't know that Messi and Inbrahamovic were reserve players. Anyway, having watched all the EPL games played this season, I would much prefer to watch the current Man City side than Has Been United who need referees to help thim back into games they should really have lost.:p

Euc- Aug 31st 2009 6:32 am

Tsk! Men's hockey is about as relevant as female football, at least you have something bouncy to look at during the soccer match.

Anyway, good on ya guys ;)

Inselaffen Aug 31st 2009 7:46 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7890571)
It seems it was televised across North America on ESPN and I didn't know that Messi and Inbrahamovic were reserve players. Anyway, having watched all the EPL games played this season, I would much prefer to watch the current Man City side than Has Been United who need referees to help thim back into games they should really have lost.:p

was a def penalty for United. Lucky to get away with the Fletcher penalty I do admit.

United are always slow starters so I have no worries.

The Dean Aug 31st 2009 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7890703)
was a def penalty for United. Lucky to get away with the Fletcher penalty I do admit.

United are always slow starters so I have no worries.

was a def penalty for United

Disagree with that. Look at Rooney's legs in the slo-mo replay from behind the goal - he's going to ground before there is any contact from Almunia. No away team would have been awarded that at any ground in the country.

Mike Dean is an honest ref who, overall, makes more right calls than wrong, but he too often gets the big decisions wrong in the big games.

Inselaffen Sep 1st 2009 1:02 am

the keeper was going to make contact whether or not rooney was going down or not therefore according to the rules of football it was a foul and a penalty

it is a pity rooney did start to go down before contact was made though.

The Dean Sep 1st 2009 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7892635)
the keeper was going to make contact whether or not rooney was going down or not therefore according to the rules of football it was a foul and a penalty

it is a pity rooney did start to go down before contact was made though.

The 'making contact' thing is a complete fallacy.

Look at Law 12. There are TEN offences that constitute a penalty (a direct free-kick actually, but it's a penalty if you commit one of them in your own area). The only one that might have applied in this case is "trips or attempts to trip an opponent". Which means the ref only has to decide if that's what Almunia intended. The fact that Rooney was already falling makes it no penalty in my book.

It's a good debate though - Grinning Rob, Derek White and Nigel Spackman were getting quite worked up about it on 'Goals on Monday' last night.......