British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Complaints over UK Visa's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/complaints-over-uk-visas-789492/)

britexpat76 Mar 5th 2013 10:56 am

Complaints over UK Visa's

I do hope we do not get a knee jerk reaction to this.......

You need to read the comments - Knowing people at the Embassy they turn up and demand a Visa - Most still sat in their car. :blink:

http://dohanews.co/post/44609892948/...#disqus_thread

Millsyisland Mar 5th 2013 11:15 am

Re: Complaints over UK Visa's

Love the comments - completely believable.

OleJanx Mar 5th 2013 2:51 pm

Beep, beep! Why are you not bringing my visa to my car?! I am a Qatari! I cannot wait! (unless I am processing your exit visa, which is trivial....)

Boomhauer Mar 5th 2013 3:08 pm

Dr. Mohammed....

“While British authorities are humiliating the Qataris with personal interviews and too many requirements and high fees their citizens are getting the Qatari visa on arrival at the airport. Qataris are going to the UK and other western countries only as tourists or for studies or treatment.

On the other hand, the Westerners are coming to our country looking for jobs or to promote their products. I strongly demand the Qatari government to deal with these governments on an equal footing.”
I wonder the likelyhood of Brits planning to enter Qatar for nefarious purposes (i.e. militant attacks)

Some of those products are Oil & Gas equipment and services....

OleJanx Mar 5th 2013 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10585034)
Dr. Mohammed....

I wonder the likelyhood of Brits planning to enter Qatar for nefarious purposes (i.e. militant attacks)

Some of those products are Oil & Gas equipment and services....

Until fairly recently, the Qatari national anthem was 'Bank Of Toytown' which says it all, really...

I have an on - off liking for Qatar, but I left when my sponsor, on being asked for an exit visa, said' I'll think about it.' I got the exit visa eventually, flew to Dubai and searched around for a few days before I was offered another job. UnsuprisinglyI took it even though it wasn't the best offer in hand. Beat the alternative in Eithiopia though!

Boomhauer Mar 5th 2013 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10585061)
Until fairly recently, the Qatari national anthem was 'Bank Of Toytown' which says it all, really...

I have an on - off liking for Qatar, but I left when my sponsor, on being asked for an exit visa, said' I'll think about it.' I got the exit visa eventually, flew to Dubai and searched around for a few days before I was offered another job. UnsuprisinglyI took it even though it wasn't the best offer in hand. Beat the alternative in Eithiopia though!

..but aren't Ethiopian chicks cute
Plus you could search for the Ark in your spare time:D

OleJanx Mar 5th 2013 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10585072)
..but aren't Ethiopian chicks cute
Plus you could search for the Ark in your spare time:D

The Ark is apparently on top of Mount Asaratat in Turkey.....

Miss Anne Thrope Mar 5th 2013 5:09 pm

Partner needs visa for travel to most places Western - he's a Khaleeji. UK definitely more sensible than all others except Oz (superb online system). Schengen countries vary a bit. Yanks the absolute pits.

As good as UK visa process is, border guards are complete brain-dead patronising idiots......

britexpat76 Mar 5th 2013 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10585340)
Partner needs visa for travel to most places Western - he's a Khaleeji. UK definitely more sensible than all others except Oz (superb online system). Schengen countries vary a bit. Yanks the absolute pits.

As good as UK visa process is, border guards are complete brain-dead patronising idiots......

Agree with all that, had a massive argument in Manchester last month with Brit jobs worth not letting me take the wife through transfer then me exit to meet family and grab presents and cards for wedding. Could of just walked out but couldn't be bothered in the end. US amazed me this time by being pleasant, any green passport holder normally gets the 3rd degree.

Brains1983 Mar 5th 2013 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10585347)
Agree with all that, had a massive argument in Manchester last month with Brit jobs worth not letting me take the wife through transfer then me exit to meet family and grab presents and cards for wedding. Could of just walked out but couldn't be bothered in the end. US amazed me this time by being pleasant, any green passport holder normally gets the 3rd degree.

What region is green? My wife carries a blue passport, and when she said to potential employers she was Brazilian, she couldn't get an intrerview, when we taled about and said it would be better she mentiond she was German and used the red one (last generation of the Nazis), interviews were then forthcoming!

britexpat76 Mar 5th 2013 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10585373)
What region is green? My wife carries a blue passport, and when she said to potential employers she was Brazilian, she couldn't get an intrerview, when we taled about and said it would be better she mentiond she was German and used the red one (last generation of the Nazis), interviews were then forthcoming!

A lot of the MENA region, coupled with Arabic writing the yanks just love them.............

scot47 Mar 5th 2013 9:07 pm

Britexpat76 really should go on a seminar on "The Grocer's Apostrophe".

Boomhauer Mar 5th 2013 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10585293)
The Ark is apparently on top of Mount Asaratat in Turkey.....

Da Ark of Da Covenant

jam25mack Mar 6th 2013 8:04 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10585347)

All airport immigration people are jobs worth pricks. I have had several incidents in the US. One involved me walking nearly past a security line. Stopped as I was level.... or maybe 10cm through it and then realised I was heading the wrong direction. Turned only to have two MP5 tooled up marine twats threaten to shoot me if I didn't carry on walking.

I've also had it in the UK tho. Last time flying back from here, just as I get off the air bridge a heathrow guy asked to see my passport. Fine I think. Then starts asking me all sorts of questions which I decline to answer. One of them being 'why are you coming to the UK' and 'what is the reason for my visit'? WTF... I'm a typical British looking Brit (good loking, suarve etc). It's my country FFS. Nipped my passport out of his hand and walked off leaving him shouting at my back. I wouldn't mind but his English was terrible (not as in swearing more as in he had only learnt it the week before).

nonthaburi Mar 6th 2013 8:37 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10586684)
All airport immigration people are jobs worth pricks. I have had several incidents in the US. One involved me walking nearly past a security line. Stopped as I was level.... or maybe 10cm through it and then realised I was heading the wrong direction. Turned only to have two MP5 tooled up marine twats threaten to shoot me if I didn't carry on walking.

I've also had it in the UK tho. Last time flying back from here, just as I get off the air bridge a heathrow guy asked to see my passport. Fine I think. Then starts asking me all sorts of questions which I decline to answer. One of them being 'why are you coming to the UK' and 'what is the reason for my visit'? WTF... I'm a typical British looking Brit (good loking, suarve etc). It's my country FFS. Nipped my passport out of his hand and walked off leaving him shouting at my back. I wouldn't mind but his English was terrible (not as in swearing more as in he had only learnt it the week before).

See your point , but just because it's your country doesn't mean someone can't ask you your reason to go there if . Plenty of UK nationals up to no good ,especially in this day and age where crime knows no borders , so why shouldn't they ask ?
You say you wouldn't have minded if he spoke perfect English , why should that make a difference ? Are you implying that only people born in the UK can make a judgement about who or what constitutes a threat ?