Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:10 am
  #1  
Kix
Nothing doin' here
Thread Starter
 
Kix's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,508
Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

I know I'm going to get hammered for this but....

I don't think anyone should give any money to it (even though the UK people managed to give £75million - a new record - recession? what recession?).

Why do the donators think that saving loads of african children is a good thing? Surely education would be better and getting the parents to have just 2 or 3 kids, not 8-12 is more acceptable.

You just have to look at what happened in Ethiopia before and after Live Aid (which I did see - it was a hell of a concert), to see that throwing money at such regimes is madness.

Now if Red Nose Day was for the starving underclass in the UK, I would support it, but I will never support it's african agenda.

It's main host is Lenny Henry - no agenda there then.
Kix is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:15 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by Kix View Post
I know I'm going to get hammered for this but....

I don't think anyone should give any money to it (even though the UK people managed to give £75million - a new record - recession? what recession?).

Why do the donators think that saving loads of african children is a good thing? Surely education would be better and getting the parents to have just 2 or 3 kids, not 8-12 is more acceptable.

You just have to look at what happened in Ethiopia before and after Live Aid (which I did see - it was a hell of a concert), to see that throwing money at such regimes is madness.

Now if Red Nose Day was for the starving underclass in the UK, I would support it, but I will never support it's african agenda.

It's main host is Lenny Henry - no agenda there then.
Lenny Henry is happy to 'donate' his time free of charge - mainly because nobody will actually pay him for his work these days anyway...........

You have a point - I always thought it would be better to raise money for, say, desalination plants so that areas of low rainfall (e.g. NE horn/corner of Africa) can get their land irrigated and start to grow their own crops more efficiently etc.

But didn't Red Nose/Comic Relief start off originally as UK-focused? What happened?
The Dean is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 5:07 am
  #3  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,630
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
You have a point - I always thought it would be better to raise money for, say, desalination plants so that areas of low rainfall (e.g. NE horn/corner of Africa) can get their land irrigated and start to grow their own crops more efficiently etc.
What do you run the plants on?
Millhouse is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:10 am
  #4  
Not an evil hypnotist
 
typical's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,975
typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by Kix View Post
Why do the donators think that saving loads of african children is a good thing? Surely education would be better and getting the parents to have just 2 or 3 kids, not 8-12 is more acceptable.
What makes you think that Comic Relief doesn't support organisations that help with education and birth control in Africa?
typical is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:12 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,853
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

I always ignore it. There is something distasteful about making a big noise about how much one is doing for charity.

Do good quietly.
scot47 is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:16 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
kittycat1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,965
kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Hmmm, whilst in theory I support any charity work/funding, I must admit having just looked at the comic relief site I do agree a certain ammount with you Kix http://www.comicrelief.com/how-we-help whilst they do still support domestic charities when you look at the funding and the ammount they raise it doesn't sound like much is going to Uk based charites, having said that international charities need support from the richer countries whether it is spent on the correct projects is another question, I've always felt Oxfam is a good charity to support for this though. If I was in the Uk though I would have given a couple of quid as I would whenever I see someone collecting.

Personally, I have certain charities that I support directly so I know they are getting the money.

Last edited by kittycat1; Mar 16th 2013 at 8:19 am.
kittycat1 is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:21 am
  #7  
Kix
Nothing doin' here
Thread Starter
 
Kix's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,508
Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by typical View Post
What makes you think that Comic Relief doesn't support organisations that help with education and birth control in Africa?
They shout out all over the BBC, send us £5 and we can give an African child a vaccine against xyz.

The countries they vaccine are all relatively rich and they live on western aid.

It's wrong.

Let them be, forget about aid to anyone, after Live Aid, and because of Live Aid, the population of Ethiopia grew from 20million to over 80 million. Because we saved the kids. Ethiopia is still a train wreck country, Geldof was deluded and misguided, LiveAid made more problems than ever.
Kix is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:49 am
  #8  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 22,479
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by Kix View Post
They shout out all over the BBC, send us £5 and we can give an African child a vaccine against xyz.

The countries they vaccine are all relatively rich and they live on western aid.

It's wrong.

Let them be, forget about aid to anyone, after Live Aid, and because of Live Aid, the population of Ethiopia grew from 20million to over 80 million. Because we saved the kids. Ethiopia is still a train wreck country, Geldof was deluded and misguided, LiveAid made more problems than ever.
I agree, that more funding to save children just causes a population explosion, the money would be far better spent on contraception and education, especially in the limiting of family sizes. Population explosion = more starving people = more aid needed.
How many other countries have these fundraising TV things, and what do they raise money for?.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 9:01 am
  #9  
Kix
Nothing doin' here
Thread Starter
 
Kix's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,508
Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
Hmmm, whilst in theory I support any charity work/funding, I must admit having just looked at the comic relief site I do agree a certain ammount with you Kix http://www.comicrelief.com/how-we-help whilst they do still support domestic charities when you look at the funding and the ammount they raise it doesn't sound like much is going to Uk based charites, having said that international charities need support from the richer countries whether it is spent on the correct projects is another question, I've always felt Oxfam is a good charity to support for this though. If I was in the Uk though I would have given a couple of quid as I would whenever I see someone collecting.

Personally, I have certain charities that I support directly so I know they are getting the money.
That map is amazing. We give £2.8million to India? They have a better economy than the UK!

Beggers belief.
Kix is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:05 am
  #10  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 22,479
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by Kix View Post
That map is amazing. We give £2.8million to India? They have a better economy than the UK!

Beggers belief.
India have said they don't want any more money, and apparently they will not be getting any more.. after 2014.. seems they can't stop it before then.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:15 am
  #11  
Kix
Nothing doin' here
Thread Starter
 
Kix's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,508
Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
India have said they don't want any more money, and apparently they will not be getting any more.. after 2014.. seems they can't stop it before then.
They can't stop it? Why should it be given?

All the adverts are black kids with big bellies (we should open a bar) and flies buzzing around them. Its crazy, stop the aid to other countries, look after UK first.
Kix is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:29 am
  #12  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 22,479
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by Kix View Post
They can't stop it? Why should it be given?

.
That's what the government say..
mikelincs is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:48 am
  #13  
Not an evil hypnotist
 
typical's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,975
typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by Kix View Post
They shout out all over the BBC, send us £5 and we can give an African child a vaccine against xyz.
Because that's where children are dying of xyz.

Originally Posted by Kix View Post
The countries they vaccine are all relatively rich and they live on western aid.
The first is definitely not true. The second perhaps true in some cases - but so what? Aid has come a long way in terms of seeking to build capacity as well as respond to immediate needs.

"Send us £5 and we will put it towards a capacity building program helping to train rural teachers in ways that will help over the next 15 years to overcome the structural problems of the country" is neither as pithy nor as likely to get people to open their wallets as the vaccination appeal.

Originally Posted by Kix View Post
Let them be, forget about aid to anyone, after Live Aid, and because of Live Aid, the population of Ethiopia grew from 20million to over 80 million. Because we saved the kids. Ethiopia is still a train wreck country, Geldof was deluded and misguided, LiveAid made more problems than ever.
The picture is much more complex than that. Ethiopia isn't the train wreck it was in the 80s, but it's true the outcome of Live Aid was problematic. Then again, I am not particularly comfortable trading off starving children against potential future problems.
typical is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:57 am
  #14  
Kix
Nothing doin' here
Thread Starter
 
Kix's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,508
Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by typical View Post
Because that's where children are dying of xyz.



The first is definitely not true. The second perhaps true in some cases - but so what? Aid has come a long way in terms of seeking to build capacity as well as respond to immediate needs.

"Send us £5 and we will put it towards a capacity building program helping to train rural teachers in ways that will help over the next 15 years to overcome the structural problems of the country" is neither as pithy nor as likely to get people to open their wallets as the vaccination appeal.



The picture is much more complex than that. Ethiopia isn't the train wreck it was in the 80s, but it's true the outcome of Live Aid was problematic. Then again, I am not particularly comfortable trading off starving children against potential future problems.
The problem is, if they keep being baby machines then the problem will worsen.

There should be a sterilisation program, I'd donate then
Kix is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:06 am
  #15  
Not an evil hypnotist
 
typical's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,975
typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comic Relief/Red Nose Day

Originally Posted by Kix View Post
The problem is, if they keep being baby machines then the problem will worsen.

There should be a sterilisation program, I'd donate then
Several of the charities supported by Comic Relief have contraception and even abortion programs. (It's one reason parts of the Catholic Church try to tell followers not to support Comic Relief, in fact.)

I see what you mean on the other thread about you being Hitler, though...
typical is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.