Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

the cold can kill at night

the cold can kill at night

Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:46 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default the cold can kill at night

"the Arabian peninsula has entered the cold season, marked by shivering nights and pleasant days, a met official has said.

People staying in the open at night or travelling must take proper protection against the cold as night temperatures are hovering around 10 degrees Celsius in some areas with predictions of a further plunge in the days ahead."

"the conditions could be severe in desert towns. "It's the harsh nature of the desert, heat poses a threat to the lives in the day and the cold can kill at night," said the meteorologist"

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/we...nsula-1.724286

found the above article fairly amusing given what our brethren are suffering at home.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:33 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the cold can kill at night

Originally Posted by shiva
"the Arabian peninsula has entered the cold season, marked by shivering nights and pleasant days, a met official has said.

People staying in the open at night or travelling must take proper protection against the cold as night temperatures are hovering around 10 degrees Celsius in some areas with predictions of a further plunge in the days ahead."

"the conditions could be severe in desert towns. "It's the harsh nature of the desert, heat poses a threat to the lives in the day and the cold can kill at night," said the meteorologist"

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/we...nsula-1.724286

found the above article fairly amusing given what our brethren are suffering at home.
That's plus 10, right?

It was minus 14 when I was clearing the car yesterday morning to go to work. I had to scrape ice off the inside of my windscreen.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:08 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
That's plus 10, right?

It was minus 14 when I was clearing the car yesterday morning to go to work. I had to scrape ice off the inside of my windscreen.
If it ever dropped to -14 in the UAE thousands would die...even expats from cold countries who can't seem to figure out that flip flops and spaghetti strap tops won't keep them warm when the average air con setting is 21 or under...

N.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:38 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not so much that. It's simply the lack of heating facilities anywhere in Dubai that would kill us. We'd be on the first plane to proper central heating.

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If it ever dropped to -14 in the UAE thousands would die...even expats from cold countries who can't seem to figure out that flip flops and spaghetti strap tops won't keep them warm when the average air con setting is 21 or under...

N.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
It's not so much that. It's simply the lack of heating facilities anywhere in Dubai that would kill us. We'd be on the first plane to proper central heating.
I have an electric radiator
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Get hard!!!

People with any experience of cold would be OK.

I've spent enough nights on balconies to know that.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:29 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I'd switch off the a/c, put on several layers and get out my winter wear and have some nice hot soup...thinking about it I'd be quite happy as I don't always put on the heating even back home, preferring layers and the cold crisp air to breathe.

N.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:34 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

For a day or two, perhaps. But if no place had heating, not just your apartment/villa, but the shops, the malls and the offices, you'd be singing a different story.

To compound the problem is that the infrastructure out here are not designed to cope with extreme cold. Once the thaw began, we'd see a lot of malfunctioning plumbing systems.....

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I'd switch off the a/c, put on several layers and get out my winter wear and have some nice hot soup...thinking about it I'd be quite happy as I don't always put on the heating even back home, preferring layers and the cold crisp air to breathe.

N.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have my air con on 17 the whole year round and I wear flip flops and vests in the house- keeps you perky!

I occasionally will put a jumper on but generally prefer it cooler- I sometimes wonder why on earth I have come to such a hot country- 21 is my maximum happy temperature!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I like the fact that the person starting the "The cold can kill at night" thread is called "Shiva".
Old Dec 8th 2010, 11:33 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiva
in other news getting stabbed with a knife in the heart can also be detrimental to your health said a leading surgeon yesterday.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I have my air con on 17 the whole year round and I wear flip flops and vests in the house- keeps you perky!

I occasionally will put a jumper on but generally prefer it cooler- I sometimes wonder why on earth I have come to such a hot country- 21 is my maximum happy temperature!
no photos....