Coffee Pod Things

Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Coffee Pod Things

Originally Posted by Millhouse
ewwww. I hate these things. I'm no tree hugger, but the environmental impact of these poxy things is horrible.
How so?
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:23 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
What about Tassimo T4 machine? Currently on at £30 in UK but you get a code for a voucher worth £20 off of the pods, so effectively £10.
but I don't think Tassimo pods are available here are they?
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
How so?
What do you do with the capsule?

It's metal. All that energy and resource making the capsule straight into the ground for a coffee. Multiply that by millions of coffees a day...

This is a great example of new ideas unnecessarily increasing resource usage for no real benefit. What is wrong with a machine that crushes beans rather than this processed stuff - it tastes better too.

I'm well aware I'm on very thin ice making these statements with my environmental footprint, but I do sort of draw the line at this.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's metal. All that energy and resource making the capsule straight into the ground for a coffee. Multiply that by millions of coffees a day...

This is a great example of new ideas unnecessarily increasing resource usage for no real benefit. What is wrong with a machine that crushes beans rather than this processed stuff - it tastes better too.

I'm well aware I'm on very thin ice making these statements with my environmental footprint, but I do sort of draw the line at this.
Its plastic, not metal....if that makes it worse for you?

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of things like this that lots of people use.

But: who wants a coffee grinder? Who wants to have to deal with that? Who says it actually tastes better?

I can get up and have a latte or cappuccino or espresso or anything I want without having to go to a Costa / Starbucks etc...I bet if I did go to those my environmental footprint would be bigger than letting this bad boy make them at home for me.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:38 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
why go to RAK
I think he was taking the piss.

I'll forgive you for having a blonde day.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:41 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
It'll record both ends mate. Go on Do it!
No it won't, and AFAIK that's to comply with US (and most other) laws which prohibit recording of phone conversations (your own, not those between two other parties) unless you declare up front that you're doing so (hence all the recorded warnings whenever you phone a company that is going to record the conversation). And also AFAIK there isn't an App that gets round it (I've looked).

A friend, long ago, had a device that wrapped around the microphone cable that he used with his phone, which then fed into a Walkman that he recorded conversations on. I guess that would work.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
A friend, long ago, had a device that wrapped around the microphone cable that he used with his phone, which then fed into a Walkman that he recorded conversations on. I guess that would work.
I'm way too lazy to do that for a 10 second call that won't be too funny anyway. Good tip though.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

These pods coffee machines are a scam in the same way printer ink cartridges are.

Let me guess, the machine was a bargain? Be sure to let us know if you ever see the coffee pods on special anywhere.

Its a similar pricing structure to printer cartridges, and I'm sure you guys all know how expensive they are ~ $3000 USD a litre

Do yourself a favor and calculate the price per KG of the pod coffee, then keep in mind that they contain additives and is not 100% pure coffee.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:54 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Guess what I just got delivered to the door!! three boxes of Dolce Gusto tea thanks to Nescafe Arabia #ramadankareem
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:59 pm
Concierge

three boxes of their new Marrakech Tea in a personalised box
Attached Thumbnails Coffee Pod Things-001.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bongoman2
These pods coffee machines are a scam in the same way printer ink cartridges are.

Let me guess, the machine was a bargain? Be sure to let us know if you ever see the coffee pods on special anywhere.

Its a similar pricing structure to printer cartridges, and I'm sure you guys all know how expensive they are ~ $3000 USD a litre

Do yourself a favor and calculate the price per KG of the pod coffee, then keep in mind that they contain additives and is not 100% pure coffee.
If depends what you compare the cost to? If you compare it to Costa/Starbucks it will be cheaper. Compare it to instant coffee then it will be more expensive.

People will have them if they prefer the taste and how easy they are. Personally I prefer to just use filter coffee but do keep seeing these machines on offer and I am always tempted!
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bongoman2

Like I said it was 'free' because I got cash back from buying my dishwasher....which wasn't expected.

Life cycle cost will always feature, coffee in a jar isn't exactly buttons to buy.

Anyway, thanks for the comments...BTW with printer cartridges, they all have a reset button that if you poke with a paper clip unfolded, it'll magically find some more ink.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 1:17 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Last I knew printer ink was about the second most expensive thing in earth behind anti matter. I strongly suspect the coffee theives looked at printer ink an saw a fantastic business model. Bastards

That said I'm now on my third type if instant coffee as it seems they keep withdrawing the ones I like from the local market. I suspect a nespresso machine will eventually have to be bought.

As for taste fresh ground and fresh brew will always taste better but convenience will always win
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 1:21 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you. I also think that most people have lousy tastebuds as they drink vile coffee, either instant or Starbucks burnt aberrations. Or 'coffees' which are more like milkshakes for big kids.

We have a Nespreso machine (husband's second hand Dhs 100 bargain) but rarely use it as we prefer cafetiere coffee. Useful when an emergency espresso life is required.

Nespresso capsules are metalic, other are plastic, but they are all examples of excess packaging. Sadly few people seem to care in the UAE and the level of groundfill rubbish produced per capita here is shocking.

Think the husband is looking at getting a new machine to which you add proper beans and it grinds the right amount for each cup of coffee you require. No other packaging required.

Blue Cat - prepackaged milky coffee? Eurgh and Tsk! Must be a coffee mate type substance in there and that is one of the vilest 'foodstuffs' known to man.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 1:24 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I agree with you. I also think that most people have lousy tastebuds as they drink vile coffee, either instant or Starbucks burnt aberrations. Or 'coffees' which are more like milkshakes for big kids.

We have a Nespreso machine (husband's second hand Dhs 100 bargain) but rarely use it as we prefer cafetiere coffee. Useful when an emergency espresso life is required.

Nespresso capsules are metalic, other are plastic, but they are all examples of excess packaging. Sadly few people seem to care in the UAE and the level of groundfill rubbish produced per capita here is shocking.

Think the husband is looking at getting a new machine to which you add proper beans and it grinds the right amount for each cup of coffee you require. No other packaging required.

Blue Cat - prepackaged milky coffee? Eurgh and Tsk! Must be a coffee mate type substance in there and that is one of the vilest 'foodstuffs' known to man.
Check out the aero press it's supposed to make a pretty nice cup of coffee

I've cut my consumption down to one or two cups a day partly because of shit coffee and partly lack of time but if I could be bothered I'd go the aero press route

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.