British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Clock watching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/clock-watching-798866/)

Millhouse Jun 2nd 2013 3:28 pm

Clock watching

Following on from something Kitty said - does your office have a clocking in/out machine?

We had one when I was in AD and it was actually used to check hours (I would dismiss all reports).

It seems we are having one come where I am now. We now have to use our pass to leave the office rather than just pressing the button. I refuse to comply with this and 'log out' soon after I log in and generally screw the system so it records me at mostly out.

It's not enough that our office manager gets a daily print out from the MOI to see if we are in or out of the country!

Who else is under the big brother?

winter Jun 2nd 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Clock watching

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10737036)
Following on from something Kitty said - does your office have a clocking in/out machine?

We had one when I was in AD and it was actually used to check hours (I would dismiss all reports).

It seems we are having one come where I am now. We now have to use our pass to leave the office rather than just pressing the button. I refuse to comply with this and 'log out' soon after I log in and generally screw the system so it records me at mostly out.

It's not enough that our office manager gets a daily print out from the MOI to see if we are in or out of the country!

We have a silly clocking in and out system, I never clock out

OriginalSunshine Jun 2nd 2013 4:49 pm

I *am* "big brother". Unfortunately my (local) boss has a hiss if I dare suggest that it's not very efficient of my staff to turn up at 8am, take a 2 hour lunch, 3-4 prayer break, and then f'off home at 4:30. So I don't bother with the records. I file them, and ignore them.

Millhouse Jun 3rd 2013 4:13 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10737139)
I *am* "big brother". Unfortunately my (local) boss has a hiss if I dare suggest that it's not very efficient of my staff to turn up at 8am, take a 2 hour lunch, 3-4 prayer break, and then f'off home at 4:30. So I don't bother with the records. I file them, and ignore them.

I also used to file and ignore the records.

In my current office almost everyone works at least 10 hours a day (productivity is questionable) and we travel excessively. The office manager now gets a daily print-out from the government to see if we are in country, prepares daily reports of where we are and has just installed this new system. :eek:

Why would anyone want to know this? I'm purposely screwing :eek:the logs for me and am waiting to be called in for the chat...

weasel decentral Jun 3rd 2013 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10737036)

**** that shit. Our company gave me a card before that opened some doors into the office but really it was a way of logging the times people came and went.
I was of the same opinion as you about it and used to pass through the door when someone else was using it or something similar just to mess up the times recorded. My attitude was if they were going to record how much time I was in the office then I wanted to be paid for all the overtime I was doing.

Anyhow in true Egyptian fashion it broke after a couple of weeks and the door was propped open with a wedge from then on. :lol: Its still on the to do list for maintenance.

jam25mack Jun 3rd 2013 4:50 am

We have an access card to get on and out and although I suppose it could be used for clocking in purposes I don't think it is as many people pass through open door all at once etc. Also, a lot of us are on site or out at meetings and so to get the records anywhere near accurate would be a nightmare to do.

Where in some more 'blue collar' industries I agree that a system is needed, when you are meant to be educated professionals there should be a certain level of trust in the relationship.

Nellie1584 Jun 3rd 2013 5:27 am

My company has a finger print recognition machine; i have to touch in and out. 2 occasions of lateness in a week bye bye half a day holiday!

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 3rd 2013 5:52 am

Nope.

We are all meant to be in by 0830, most are in before that.

Everyone takes lunch, generally. Normally involves 30-45 mins out.

Office practically empties at 1730, finish earlier on a Thursday.

I have no issue with how long I'm in the office, my boss works til 6-7-8-9 some nights, but I don't see the need. I can do the same 10 things in half the time he takes and to the same standard.....

Unfortunately, in this job, it's not a list of things to do, there is always something else that you could do. I just choose to be effective between 8ish and 5ish and leave at half past.

As I was leaving my old place they were talking about re-introducing call clocks on the wall for everyone to see who is on the phone and not and how much etc. I ****ing hate stuff like that. I don't care how many calls I make, in fact, I want to make as few as possible, I care about who is making money and generally I sat at, or near the top of that list.

**** KPI's. Money matters.

Mogs Jun 3rd 2013 5:53 am

We have a swipe card to get in and out plus a "fire register" to sign in and out. This is to ensure we know who is in the office in case of a fire or earthquake, etc (so they check people off at the muster point to ensure everyone has safely left the building).

shiva Jun 3rd 2013 5:59 am

there are many reasons that I wok for myself, a lot of the above are in that list.

Fie list I can understand, clocking in and out.?

Nope, sorry, take your job and **** right off.

mikewot Jun 3rd 2013 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Nellie1584 (Post 10737919)
My company has a finger print recognition machine; i have to touch in and out. 2 occasions of lateness in a week bye bye half a day holiday!

Wow! How anal. Not had clocking in/out but had to record what you've worked on as weekly timesheets (I love SAP). Each project had a code you booked time to and there was a code for admin etc.

al dente Jun 3rd 2013 9:17 am

Fingerprint recognition is becoming increasingly popular. One friend in the O&G said that when they did a check at who was at who's desk at one of their office sites. When expecting locals, they found domestic staff who had been sent in by the actual employee and told to sit at their master's desk all day.

Not sure if that was here or Qatar to be fair.