This city sucks!

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This city sucks!

Originally Posted by The Dean
Perhaps so, but HHSM is belatedly trying to change that. Dubai is far more "Islamic" now than it was even 3-4 years ago.

The prayers playing at full volume in MotE (a few years ago, they weren't played at all), restrictions on outdoor music, little sweat shops down in the Bastakiya area near the creek closing, Saudi-style, for the main evening prayers (something I'm surprised hasn't been more widely commented on), etc, etc.

The restrictive places (Saudi, mainly) are becoming more relaxed, while the more liberal are becoming more strict. Where that will end, I have no idea.
Hang on....are we going off track here.....we are talking coffee shops...of which there are loads in this city.
If Dubai is becoming more islamic....how does that relate to a lack of coffee shops over looking the sea, when there are loads of coffee shops in the city itself.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Perhaps so, but HHSM is belatedly trying to change that. Dubai is far more "Islamic" now than it was even 3-4 years ago.

The prayers playing at full volume in MotE (a few years ago, they weren't played at all), restrictions on outdoor music, little sweat shops down in the Bastakiya area near the creek closing, Saudi-style, for the main evening prayers (something I'm surprised hasn't been more widely commented on), etc, etc.

The restrictive places (Saudi, mainly) are becoming more relaxed, while the more liberal are becoming more strict. Where that will end, I have no idea.
I also heard at the weekend from a bar manager that there will be no alcohol served between 4-6pm in bars/hotels that do not qualify as 5 star.

They will be able to apply for a license to open(extra cost of course) but no alcoholic drinks can be served within that period.
Kind of messes watching the world cup in the summer with a few cold ones.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't find a single bar with the waitresses all dressed as kittens that served macaroni cheese pies and Export Gold on tap.

What a shitty town!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:07 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I also heard at the weekend from a bar manager that there will be no alcohol served between 4-6pm in bars/hotels that do not qualify as 5 star.

They will be able to apply for a license to open(extra cost of course) but no alcoholic drinks can be served within that period.
Kind of messes watching the world cup in the summer with a few cold ones.
That is the case in some places already (and has been for a long time) - Crowne Plaza (SZR), JW Marriott. It changes with the wind.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Hang on....are we going off track here.....we are talking coffee shops...of which there are loads in this city.
If Dubai is becoming more islamic....how does that relate to a lack of coffee shops over looking the sea, when there are loads of coffee shops in the city itself.
No........ you said you don't have to go far to find a bar (I assume you meant the alcoholic variety).

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Last edited by The Dean; Feb 22nd 2010 at 7:11 am. Reason: o
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:13 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
I couldn't find a single bar with the waitresses all dressed as kittens that served macaroni cheese pies and Export Gold on tap.

What a shitty town!

You're on form today.

-
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:15 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas

What a shitty town!
And Ill bet its ruining your relationship to the extent that you'll feel the need to write a tell-all piece to the journos...
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:18 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

That bar comment was in repsonse to another comment.
So, hold on, what exactly are we talking about here, the 1st comment, the response, your comment to the response or the response to your comment about the response to your comment??

I'm away to lie down in a darkened room, I feel a migraine coming on...
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Ok....so I'm wrong....it's faaar better to have coffee in a f'n mall or on a stinky street with a load of 4L+ 4x4's roaring past.

Who'd have thought that the idea of having a meal or a coffee or whatever overlooking the sea without having to stop at a malll or hotel or (god forbid) entering the marina farce would bring so much disagreement?

Doesn't anyone else agree that Dubai has largely wasted a great asset in terms of it's beach front?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:26 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Ok....so I'm wrong....it's faaar better to have coffee in a f'n mall or on a stinky street with a load of 4L+ 4x4's roaring past.

Who'd have thought that the idea of having a meal or a coffee or whatever overlooking the sea without having to stop at a malll or hotel or (god forbid) entering the marina farce would bring so much disagreement?

Doesn't anyone else agree that Dubai has largely wasted a great asset in terms of it's beach front?
I agree, and it's one thing I miss over here, and one of the things I love most when I go on holiday to a place where there's bars and restaurants on or near the beach...so there you go.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you Jeeps... come to AD, we have some here (although not many!)
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:30 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

It is incongruous that a city touting for tourists seems to ignore the beach front style of bars/coffee shops but its pretty obvious that they are not really interested in allowing small business to fill the gap.. They'll claim that the bars and coffee shops in the 5* hotels fill that gap...
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
It is incongruous that a city touting for tourists seems to ignore the beach front style of bars/coffee shops but its pretty obvious that they are not really interested in allowing small business to fill the gap.. They'll claim that the bars and coffee shops in the 5* hotels fill that gap...
Due to hotels having private beaches it's actually the residents that miss out more than the tourists.

Even madinat (which is parking hell) has the concept of water front restuarants and bars.....and you can walk along the frontage of them all.....but what the f'k....it's right on the beach...but you can't see the beach....it's blocked off and you see a man-made canal instead.....that's nuts IMHO!
Beach is for guests only I guess.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:40 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Due to hotels having private beaches it's actually the residents that miss out more than the tourists.

Even madinat (which is parking hell) has the concept of water front restuarants and bars.....and you can walk along the frontage of them all.....but what the f'k....it's right on the beach...but you can't see the beach....it's blocked off and you see a man-made canal instead.....that's nuts IMHO!
I have been aware for a while that there is a definite them and us when it comes to residents and tourists.. From the beach access to the deals at hotels...
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:43 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

There are still the little tea shops just opposite the open beach. No, you can't sit in a coffee shop but you can have tea or coffee and be on the beach.

However, I do agree, they could make much better use of the beach fronts but it is improving. 5 years ago there weren't even bins on the beach.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.