British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   City Of Life - first Emirati full length feature film (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/city-life-first-emirati-full-length-feature-film-644027/)

Autonomy Dec 9th 2009 5:10 am

City Of Life - first Emirati full length feature film

It looks really pretty good.

Norm_uk Dec 9th 2009 5:59 am

Re: City Of Life - first Emirati full length feature film

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8158088)
It looks really pretty good.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D3m3I7iMnvw

Ordinarily I would not bother with crud made in Dubai (because it will never show what really goes on there) but it does have Alexandra Maria Lara in it so I feel obliged to see it now to keep my eyes happy ;)

N.

AzureArt Dec 9th 2009 1:01 pm

It;s showing at DIFF. I'm going to see it Friday night, looking forward to something different to the usual hollywood stuff.

Cham128 Dec 9th 2009 2:03 pm

looks a bit like a crash, with a dash of bollywood, a smidgen of bling and load of dubai added in... might have to go see this one

Blue Cat Dec 10th 2009 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by AzureArt (Post 8159211)
It;s showing at DIFF. I'm going to see it Friday night, looking forward to something different to the usual hollywood stuff.

let us know what it was like, love the trailer and will definately see it when it goes on general release :)

AzureArt Dec 11th 2009 6:20 pm

Definitely worth seeing, I really enjoyed it. It was really well shot with a good soundtrack. Not sure how it would go down with people who hadn't lived in Dubai though. Only one of the actors slightly disappointed and the British guy was a bit stereotypical... but overall very good. It is showing again as part of DIFF on Sunday afternoon I think if you get a chance to go.

ETA
And i was actually quite surprised how much they got away with in the film in terms of things being real e.g. prostitution, drink, swearing etc. Not sure if a non-Emirati director would get away with it but at the same time surprised that an Emirati did!

Autonomy Dec 11th 2009 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by AzureArt (Post 8165433)
Definitely worth seeing, I really enjoyed it. It was really well shot with a good soundtrack. Not sure how it would go down with people who hadn't lived in Dubai though. Only one of the actors slightly disappointed and the British guy was a bit stereotypical... but overall very good. It is showing again as part of DIFF on Sunday afternoon I think if you get a chance to go.

ETA
And i was actually quite surprised how much they got away with in the film in terms of things being real e.g. prostitution, drink, swearing etc. Not sure if a non-Emirati director would get away with it but at the same time surprised that an Emirati did!

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I really loved it. I do think it stands up a very good movie, even if you don't look through the Dubai glasses.

Great emotion, very well shot, good effects. Definite Dubai "in jokes" that was cool. Ali the director did a good job at not pandering to the image of Dubai and telling a good story.

Totally recomend seeing this.

Eva Dec 11th 2009 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8165634)
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I really loved it. I do think it stands up a very good movie, even if you don't look through the Dubai glasses.

Great emotion, very well shot, good effects. Definite Dubai "in jokes" that was cool. Ali the director did a good job at not pandering to the image of Dubai and telling a good story.

Totally recomend seeing this.

I looked for this showing at IB Mall this morn then this evening in AD Marina Mall.S'pose it's still selective.
Would probably be at AD Cultural on 7th& 2nd except that's being revamped at the mo.
Hope it's mainstream soon.Sounds great and quixotic.

AzureArt Dec 12th 2009 3:46 am

Was the world premiere last night at DIFF so not sure when it will go mainstream

Blue Cat Dec 12th 2009 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by AzureArt (Post 8166458)
Was the world premiere last night at DIFF so not sure when it will go mainstream

by the summer according to their Twitter account :)

BurpusMe Dec 14th 2009 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8167093)
by the summer according to their Twitter account :)

Dying to see this.