British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Christmas in a Muslim School (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/christmas-muslim-school-580050/)

lionheart Dec 24th 2008 5:06 am

Christmas in a Muslim School

I was considering asking my 5yo daughter to carry our nativity carving to school for general discussion this morning but chickened out at the last minute. Most of her schoolmates are Arabic and I wouldn't want their parents complaining about their kids being taught non-Muslim stuff. Before you ask, we are quite comfortable sending her to such a school as it will broaden her outlook in life when she gets older. Not much chance of her being converted to Islam in my view but, if that's what she decides to do when she gets older, so be it. She loves the school incidentally, even the Arabic lessons.

Blue Cat Dec 24th 2008 5:13 am

Re: Christmas in a Muslim School

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7096301)
I was considering asking my 5yo daughter to carry our nativity carving to school for general discussion this morning but chickened out at the last minute. Most of her schoolmates are Arabic and I wouldn't want their parents complaining about their kids being taught non-Muslim stuff. Before you ask, we are quite comfortable sending her to such a school as it will broaden her outlook in life when she gets older. Not much chance of her being converted to Islam in my view but, if that's what she decides to do when she gets older, so be it. She loves the school incidentally, even the Arabic lessons.

I don't see why not LH, maybe you should have asked the teacher yesterday, my daughter is in a predominantly Christian School yet we received Eid cards etc, and they have also celebrated Christmas. Alot of muslim people do.

lionheart Dec 24th 2008 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7096307)
I don't see why not LH, maybe you should have asked the teacher yesterday, my daughter is in a predominantly Christian School yet we received Eid cards etc, and they have also celebrated Christmas. Alot of muslim people do.

Her teacher was off sick yesterday. It's just that we read so often about teachers getting disciplined for allowing non-Muslim activities to be held at school. Perhaps I should have compromised and simply given the teacher a Christmas card, leaving her to decide whether to raise the subject. At least they are closing the school for the day tomorrow, which is something I suppose. Happy Christmas BC.

DaWarrior Dec 24th 2008 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7096307)

They might celebrate it but just for holiday purposes without any Christian meaning to it. It's just another holiday to them.

Merry Christmas to all!