British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Christmas Markets (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/christmas-markets-907059/)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 21st 2017 3:49 am

Christmas Markets

Hello Folks,

Anyone been to any Chrimbo markets in Dubai this year? Any that are good?
St Regis looks good?
Went to the one in the amphitheatre a few years ago and it was wank.

Mother arrived last night and thought it might be an easy, pleasant and festive way to get some vitamin D.

Appreciative as ever for the help.

mission Dec 21st 2017 7:51 am

Re: Christmas Markets

what about the one at Jumeriah Madinat?

Made in Sheffield 1 Dec 21st 2017 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12403261)
Hello Folks,

Anyone been to any Chrimbo markets in Dubai this year? Any that are good?
St Regis looks good?
Went to the one in the amphitheatre a few years ago and it was wank.

Mother arrived last night and thought it might be an easy, pleasant and festive way to get some vitamin D.

Appreciative as ever for the help.

I've heard the one at St Regis is a bit naff.
Hardly anything there. A couple of market stalls and overpriced crappy rides for the kids.

I've not been but I can see it when I go past on the metro and it does look a bit sparse.

Cypselos Dec 21st 2017 9:14 am

St Regis is rubbish, don't bother. I took the nipper for a Santa photo but in and out in 2 minutes.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 21st 2017 9:25 am

St Regis. OUT. Thanks folks.

Madinat - OK, interesting. Mummy does like a wander round there. Will investigate, thanks.

Miss Ann Thrope Dec 21st 2017 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12403359)

Madinat - OK, interesting. Mummy does like a wander round there. Will investigate, thanks.

Isn't global village effectively the best xmas market you could ask for (sans gluhwein)?

I just spent a week in Germany and I have to say I am xmas-marketed out - they get very samey after a while. I even recognised a lot of same stuff from the last time I was in the Munich Marienplatz xmas market 6 or 7 years ago in several northern/eastern German city markets.

Miss Ann Thrope Dec 21st 2017 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12403359)

Oh and do please remember it's ma-DEEN-at not MADDY-nat!!!!

TheShed Dec 21st 2017 2:01 pm

And there’s a McGettigans in Madinat for when you get blown away by the inflated prices of cheap Chinese crap which is available for a third of the price in dragon Mart (if you would actually buy that 5h1t

To be honest, a Christmas Market in snowy Germany or Austria is quite appealing; here? No thanks.

Bah Humbug!!!

Bahtatboy Dec 22nd 2017 10:00 am

I miss cheap Chinese ...

DXBtoDOH Dec 23rd 2017 4:41 pm

I like Christmas markets on the continent. Drink hot gluhwein, soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the crisp cold air. Always festive. Never buy any of the crap mind you.