British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Christmas Lunch/Dinner in Dubai 2011 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/christmas-lunch-dinner-dubai-2011-a-725585/)

NeetsUK Jul 20th 2011 6:00 am

Christmas Lunch/Dinner in Dubai 2011

Hi Guys,
My whole family will be coming to Dubai for Xmas and New Years. We are travelling from all over the world to catch up.
Can anyone suggest where the best place/s are for a traditional (or near about) Christmas lunch or dinner with all the works?? I would greatly appreciate your help in this matter. Thanks in advance, Cheers :)
p.s we will potentially be staying at a villa.

Meow Jul 20th 2011 6:06 am

Re: Christmas Lunch/Dinner in Dubai 2011

A Christmas question in July???

Just about everywhere does a Christmas lunch, at varying budgets, but it is far too far ahead to book anything now! No idea what the relevance is of you staying in a villa either.

:confused:

NeetsUK Jul 20th 2011 6:15 am

That's great! I know it's early however just trying to get stuff organised - even if just knowing whats what :)

The reason I mentioned the Villa was as I am sure a lot of hotels will do these lunch's & dinners ;) & if we get good recommendations for restaurants outside of hotels then great, however we are open to recommended Hotel suggestions too.

Thanks again :D

kittycat1 Jul 20th 2011 6:49 am

No idea- but thats really nice having all your family come to one place. You're very lucky! Merry Christmas! :thumbsup:

Meow Jul 20th 2011 7:09 am

Originally Posted by NeetsUK (Post 9506243)
That's great! I know it's early however just trying to get stuff organised - even if just knowing whats what :)

The reason I mentioned the Villa was as I am sure a lot of hotels will do these lunch's & dinners ;) & if we get good recommendations for restaurants outside of hotels then great, however we are open to recommended Hotel suggestions too.

Thanks again :D

Most decent restaurants are in hotels. Essentially, with a handful of exceptions, a restaurant must be part of a hotel to serve alcohol.

I am sure there was a thread about Christmas lunches on here last Autumn so you may want to do a search. There is everything you want, it simply depends on how much you want to spend per head.

:)

Patsy Stoned Jul 20th 2011 8:47 am

Originally Posted by NeetsUK (Post 9506213)
Hi Guys,
My whole family will be coming to Dubai for Xmas and New Years. We are travelling from all over the world to catch up.
Can anyone suggest where the best place/s are for a traditional (or near about) Christmas lunch or dinner with all the works?? I would greatly appreciate your help in this matter. Thanks in advance, Cheers :)

If you are a large group then there is no harm booking early. You just need to research Christmas brunches and decide on your budget. Also you need to consider places that are child friendly if you have them in your group.

All the hotels will be advertising Christmas brunch from Sept/Oct onwards.

Elmer Fudd Jul 20th 2011 9:22 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9506282)
No idea- but thats really nice having all your family come to one place. You're very lucky! Merry Christmas! :thumbsup:

Kittycat and NeetsUK, you have both beaten the record for Christmas meal references and greetings by a good week! - flyers traditionally appear in UK restaurants and pubs in the first week of August:rofl:

Spugsy Jul 20th 2011 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by NeetsUK (Post 9506213)
Hi Guys,

Christmas in Dubai is shit.

Bahtatboy Jul 20th 2011 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9506983)

I intend never to find out.

Come to think of it, I've never spent Christmas anywhere hot. I quite fancy the idea, but not in Dubai.

Patsy Stoned Jul 20th 2011 2:01 pm

Just because you had a bad experience darling doesn't mean that everybody does!! :)

Patsy Stoned Jul 20th 2011 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9506989)
I intend never to find out.

Come to think of it, I've never spent Christmas anywhere hot. I quite fancy the idea, but not in Dubai.

Like anywhere Christmas is what you make it. I have always had a lovely Christmas here. I go to Al Qasr for Christmas day Brunch with friends and always enjoy it :)

Spugsy Jul 20th 2011 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9507005)
Just because you had a bad experience darling doesn't mean that everybody does!! :)

Didn't have a bad experience, had a nice day at Desert Palm, beers, pool, nice food then a party, was fun. Not Christmassy in the slightest, just like any other day. Rubbish.

Patsy Stoned Jul 21st 2011 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9507419)
Didn't have a bad experience, had a nice day at Desert Palm, beers, pool, nice food then a party, was fun. Not Christmassy in the slightest, just like any other day. Rubbish.

I guess it is what you make it darling :-) Surely if you are with your family anywhere can be "Chrstmasy"
Unless you think you have to have lousy weather, grumpy shoppers, councils that do not allow decorations to be put up for fear of upsetting people and binmen demanding "christmas boxes' ;)

Paracletus Jul 21st 2011 2:42 am

Christmas is always best at home, in the house (wherever it might be, hot or cold..AC's on full blast do a good immitation)..going out for xmas? Madness.

Norm_uk Jul 21st 2011 5:58 am

True.

Even though I have had some nice Christmas hols in the UAE nothing beats Yuletide in Northern Europe. The feeling is different, the atmosphere is different. The food is better, and you can't get decent ale on tap in the UAE.

Not to mention hearing calls for prayer doesn't set the festive mood.;)

N.