British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Christmas foods (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/christmas-foods-780946/)

Meow Dec 18th 2012 4:55 am

Christmas foods

What do you love? What do you loathe?

Once again I am after a few opinions as I am part of a two hour radio show in Thursday morning and we'll be talking all things Christmas, specifically food. We'll also be doing a mince pie taste test, despite the fact I don't really like them! :p

So, I dislike mince pies, but love all the dried fruits and nuts. It isn't Christmas without a Terry's Chocolate Orange and lots of lovely turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches for a few days after.

Welivehere Dec 18th 2012 5:05 am

Re: Christmas foods

I am food lover so the whole the culinary side is a big plus for me. This year will be trying to focus on moderation as having spent the last couple of months getting weight of and getting in shape I appreciate, as I get older, how easy it to put weight on and how bloody hard it is to get rid of it.

Having said that:
  • Not a turkey fan so we also have roast beef as a part of Christmas dinner.
  • I really enjoy the cold cuts, crusty bread and salads for the days that follow. Need various mustards, horseradish, chutneys etc as well
  • Love nice cheeses with good bread or water biscuits
  • Sweet tooth - home made marzipan fruits and mince pies

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 18th 2012 5:07 am

Mince Pies are mega.
Christmas Dinner is hugely overrated (like all roasts) apart from Pigs in Blankets.
Christmas cake is crap.
My Granny's Christmas Kissing Trifle is the single greatest desert in human history.
Tezza Choccy orange - great shout.
Christmas cigar.

Meow Dec 18th 2012 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10439141)
Mince Pies are mega.
Christmas Dinner is hugely overrated (like all roasts) apart from Pigs in Blankets.
Christmas cake is crap.
My Granny's Christmas Kissing Trifle is the single greatest desert in human history.
Tezza Choccy orange - great shout.
Christmas cigar.

What is Christmas Kissing Trifle? Details please!

Autonomy Dec 18th 2012 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10439153)

At a guess, regular triffle with a load of booze added (with optional MDMA)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 18th 2012 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10439153)

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10439156)
At a guess, regular triffle with a load of booze added (with optional MDMA)

Close...it's just a normal trifle but it's the only one I've ever heard that makes a kissing noise when you dig the first load out. I absolutely love it.

LaLaLayla Dec 18th 2012 6:02 am

I actually like brussels sprouts. Don't like parsnips.

Bahtatboy Dec 18th 2012 6:33 am

I love everything if done properly. Hate mean mince pies, dry turkey, over cooked veg. Especially like turkey, stuffing, Christmas pud and cold curried turkey on Boxing Day.

Blue Cat Dec 18th 2012 6:34 am

I am not a great lover of the mince pies either but the husband loves them and would eat them all year round. I have a fruit cake, I say fruit cake as it is not iced and marzipanned up, hate marzipan. I love all vegetables inc sprouts and parsnips. Last year we skipped the turkey and had a small BBQ just the three of us, was brill so doing it again this year. Having the full turkey thing for New Year instead though if I am totally honest I would prefer beef/pork as not a huge fan of turkey. If you could get huge chickens here like the ones in Asda I would have one of them :thumbsup:

I now have about 8 different jars of well preserved goodies so will be trying out all of them, however I am not going to be over indulgent it just isn't worth it in the long run.

Husband will knock up a nice big pork pie :)

Meow Dec 18th 2012 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10439236)
I love everything if done properly. Hate mean mince pies, dry turkey, over cooked veg. Especially like turkey, stuffing, Christmas pud and cold curried turkey on Boxing Day.

I love the leftovers. Means you barely have to cook much for days! Turkey curry, turkey supreme, bubble and squeak, turkey sandwiches (with added stuffing, roast potatoes and cranberry). :p

Sprouts are great. They just have to be cooked properly. If they're on the stove already you're doing it wrong! Steam them until barely cooked, then add to a pan with fried lardons, a know of butter and cooked chestnuts. Or finely shred and stir fry with garlic and sesame oil.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 18th 2012 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10439250)
Sprouts are great. They just have to be cooked properly. If they're on the stove already you're doing it wrong! Steam them until barely cooked, then add to a pan with fried lardons, a know of butter and cooked chestnuts. Or finesly shred and stir fry with garlic and sesame oil.

That's way too much effort for sprouts. In fact, all veg needs to be cooked in the easiest way possible. Bar potatoes, they need care, attention and concentration.

Meow Dec 18th 2012 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10439268)
That's way too much effort for sprouts. In fact, all veg needs to be cooked in the easiest way possible. Bar potatoes, they need care, attention and concentration.

You are contradicting yourself there.

Lorna at Vicenza Dec 18th 2012 6:59 am

Sprouts make me sick.

I love a big, fat, honey roast ham.

I eat so many scrummy foods at Christmas as most of the stuff cannot be found for love nor money in Italy.

I'll be having my first bacon sandwich on Friday morning :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 18th 2012 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10439275)
You are contradicting yourself there.

How?

All veg apart from spuds need to be cooked but with minimum effort.

Jochram Dec 18th 2012 7:05 am

For me it has to be roast beef and roast pork with Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, stuffing, brussel sprouts and cauliflour cheese. Desert must be Christmas pud with brandy sauce - heaven :)