British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Christmas Day Meal in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/christmas-day-meal-dubai-680306/)

Bakerboy Aug 8th 2010 8:20 pm

Christmas Day Meal in Dubai

This will be my first Christmas in Dubai.
Where would be the best most festive restaurant serving A la carte on Christmas Day Evening?
where do you normaly go ?

Patsy Stoned Aug 9th 2010 2:19 am

Re: Christmas Day Meal in Dubai

Originally Posted by Bakerboy (Post 8761819)
This will be my first Christmas in Dubai.
Where would be the best most festive restaurant serving A la carte on Christmas Day Evening?
where do you normaly go ?

A lot of places do a Christmas Brunch. There is so much choice and price ranges. Wait until nearer the time and All the hotels will start advertising. Plenty of Christmas Dinner options too. Christmas is lovely here. More decorations and Christmas spirit than you will find in the UK :-)

Oh ...and welcome to the Bored.

lionheart Aug 9th 2010 4:08 am

It's bloody August FFS...:frown:

Millhouse Aug 9th 2010 4:27 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8762533)

The boy is excited. Good on him.

Meow Aug 9th 2010 5:37 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8762533)

I hear you LH. I don't want to hear anything about Christmas until at least mid-November. :rolleyes:
-

Millhouse Aug 9th 2010 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8762691)
I hear you LH. I don't want to hear anything about Christmas until at least mid-November. :rolleyes:
-

When do you put the Christmas deco's up?

Meow Aug 9th 2010 5:43 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8762706)
When do you put the Christmas deco's up?

A few days before 25th December, why?
-

Millhouse Aug 9th 2010 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8762708)
A few days before 25th December, why?
-

Just curious - Ours go up early December. Awful things. We argue about the bloody things every year!

Meow Aug 9th 2010 5:51 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8762712)
Just curious - Ours go up early December. Awful things. We argue about the bloody things every year!

Now that I don't understand. Christmas is arguably a one day event, perhaps a few more with holidays, but why do people make the damn thing last six weeks? :confused:

Millhouse Aug 9th 2010 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8762724)
Now that I don't understand. Christmas is arguably a one day event, perhaps a few more with holidays, but why do people make the damn thing last six weeks? :confused:

you have just walked straight into the annual argument of the Millhouse household...

My birthday is just before Christmas - the sole birthday card that I receive is simply lost in all the clutter. :(

Ethos83 Aug 9th 2010 6:09 am

It isn't Christmas until the annual board fight over whether it is possible to have a proper Christmas in the UAE because the weather is too warm and too sunny.

Then the board has a squabble over whether Christmas means you must be with the family or if a boozy brunch with friends is fine.

The above will lead to the squabble over tradition versus making your own way.

Ah, Christmas. Can't wait!

Ethos83 Aug 9th 2010 6:12 am

Because it's fun.

Because the winters in the northerm hemisphere are long and dreary and devoting six weeks to the run up for Christmas, Christmas and the post Christmas shopping orgy is a great way to break up the otherwise tediousness of a northern winter.

Because it is a great opportunity to bake and gorge on lots of rich food and guzzle lots of booze.

Because it is a great opportunity to carefully plan the special gifts for your loved ones.

I enjoy every moment of it. Six weeks is a bit long but four is just fine for me.

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8762724)

Millhouse Aug 9th 2010 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8762771)
Because it's fun.

Because the winters in the northerm hemisphere are long and dreary and devoting six weeks to the run up for Christmas, Christmas and the post Christmas shopping orgy is a great way to break up the otherwise tediousness of a northern winter.

Because it is a great opportunity to bake and gorge on lots of rich food and guzzle lots of booze.

Because it is a great opportunity to carefully plan the special gifts for your loved ones.

I enjoy every moment of it. Six weeks is a bit long but four is just fine for me.

We even have to have the Christmas CDs playing... in the car!

littlejimmy Aug 9th 2010 6:38 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8762776)
We even have to have the Christmas CDs playing... in the car!

That was one of the weirdest times of my spell in Dubai...driving down Al Khail Road with Christmas music playing...dashing through the sand, in a big white 4x4...flashing our headlights...texting all the way.

Patsy Stoned Aug 9th 2010 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8762764)

Then the board has a squabble over whether Christmas means you must be with the family or if a boozy brunch with friends is fine.

Well I don't have any family here so always have a lovely brunch with friends :D
I always book a large table at Al Qasr and then anybody who wants to can join me.