Christian Nutters

Old Dec 7th 2010, 11:38 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christian Nutters

Liam Neeson has evidently angered some Christians for suggesting that the Lion character he portrays in the Narnia movies has a passing resemblance to spiritual leaders from Christianity, Islam and Buddhism. What on earth is so upsetting about that? Some of these Christian fanatics can sometimes be almost as daft as their Muslim counterparts.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/06122010/...omments-0.html
Old Dec 7th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christian Nutters

Originally Posted by lionheart
Liam Neeson has evidently angered some Christians for suggesting that the Lion character he portrays in the Narnia movies has a passing resemblance to spiritual leaders from Christianity, Islam and Buddhism. What on earth is so upsetting about that? Some of these Christian fanatics can sometimes be almost as daft as their Muslim counterparts.
He's not really being politically correct though is he. If the Muslim nutcases hear that 'he who shall never be portrayed' is actually a cartoon lion there will be uproar.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 11:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ever met an angry Buddhist?
Old Dec 7th 2010, 11:59 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aslan is supposed to be another form of God. C.S. Lewis was a devout Christian and interwove Christian themes throughout all the Narnia books.

I imagine the nutters are more upset at the comparison to Buddha or Islam. I don't see the comparison to Islam as valid as Big Mo was a warrior.

Originally Posted by lionheart
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

C.S. Lewis was a well known proponent of Christianity, and it is widely recognized that the figure of Aslan is allegorical to Jesus. It is wrong to suggest that Islam or Buddhism can also be included when the author did not give any indication of such.

I am Agnostic and this issue isn't one of religious theology to me but rather of respecting the author's work by not reinterpreting what Lewis said.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

What a waste of effort.

Crappy book- probably will be a crappy film.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:48 am
Account Closed

So says the dude who probably never read it...

It's well established that you're a bitter Muslim dude in Abu Dhabi, so I will safely disregard your opinion on this one (well, I disregard your opinion on just about anything).

Originally Posted by seven seas
What a waste of effort.

Crappy book- probably will be a crappy film.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:03 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
It is wrong to suggest that Islam or Buddhism can also be included when the author did not give any indication of such.

I am Agnostic and this issue isn't one of religious theology to me but rather of respecting the author's work by not reinterpreting what Lewis said.
spits tea on keyboard.
Are you really saying that because the creator says something we have to accept it and not have any critical analysis what so ever. All those poor critics you will be putting out of work. A creators point of view is one that should be listened to, but is just one part of a tapestry that may help us give literature meaning.
I make no comment on Lewis or his books here.
What you have said, that we can not have critical analysis of literature beyond what the author states, is so absurd, it can not be what you mean. So what do you mean?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
spits tea on keyboard.
Are you really saying that because the creator says something we have to accept it and not have any critical analysis what so ever. All those poor critics you will be putting out of work. A creators point of view is one that should be listened to, but is just one part of a tapestry that may help us give literature meaning.
I make no comment on Lewis or his books here.
What you have said, that we can not have critical analysis of literature beyond what the author states, is so absurd, it can not be what you mean. So what do you mean?
What I am saying is that anyone can give their own take on the book, but it must be made clear that this take is NOT what the author of the book intended. People shouldn't go away thinking that the author (Lewis) had the same POV as the person re-examining the book .
Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:24 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
What I am saying is that anyone can give their own take on the book, but it must be made clear that this take is NOT what the author of the book intended. People shouldn't go away thinking that the author (Lewis) had the same POV as the person re-examining the book .
gotcha now
Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:27 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Ever met an angry Buddhist?
Buddhism, especially at it's core as an atheist religion (not the intepretations which are spread and mixed over the world) doesn't lend itself well to religiously fuelled hate and intolerance unlike Christianity and Islam.

That said Buddhists are humans and can be as violent as anyone else depending on their politics, how they were raised and disposition...I just doubt Buddhist teachings contain things like "slay the infidels wherever you find them" or "fight them until all religion is for Allah".

N.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Hmmm....give me religiously fuelled hate and intolerance any day. They produced some damn good architecture.

Just wondering - ever popped into a nice CoE back home?

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Buddhism, especially at it's core as an atheist religion (not the intepretations which are spread and mixed over the world) doesn't lend itself well to religiously fuelled hate and intolerance unlike Christianity and Islam.

That said Buddhists are humans and can be as violent as anyone else depending on their politics, how they were raised and disposition...I just doubt Buddhist teachings contain things like "slay the infidels wherever you find them" or "fight them until all religion is for Allah".

N.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:28 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Hmmm....give me religiously fuelled hate and intolerance any day. They produced some damn good architecture.

Just wondering - ever popped into a nice CoE back home?
Most Churches were built centuries ago and more historical reference points today rather than places of worship. As an atheist I really enjoy most old churches - the effort that went into them was amazing and compared to another intolerant bunch far more original...

..the Dome for example on Mosques comes from the Byzantine Romans they conquered after Byzantine was weakened by war with Persia (they also conquered Persia too...hence we have issues with Iran today).

They did have a few original ideas though. Certain Germans working in the Ottoman Empire around the early 1900s made a lot of notes about the Armenian genocide which helped Hitler immensely when he decided to get cracking against a productive law abiding civillian minority.

Keep the domes though - they are easy visual reference points for bombers...I'll see you in Lincoln Cathedral for a beer )

N.

Last edited by Norm_uk; Dec 9th 2010 at 10:32 am.