British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Chris Grayling defends child smacking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/chris-grayling-defends-child-smacking-786085/)

Millhouse Feb 3rd 2013 9:01 am

Chris Grayling defends child smacking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21311916

Justice Secretary Chris Grayling says he smacked his own children when they were young and has defended the right of parents to smack.

Awesome - I can't wait to get home and give mini a good hiding.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 3rd 2013 9:16 am

Re: Chris Grayling defends child smacking

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10521898)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21311916

Justice Secretary Chris Grayling says he smacked his own children when they were young and has defended the right of parents to smack.

Why not, eh?

If I was being a complete prick I'd get the following:

THE look
Scamp, middle name 1, middle name 2, surname!
A very quiet warning of the impending punishment.
BOOM. Smacked arse.

If you need telling 4 times, you need a smack.

britexpat76 Feb 3rd 2013 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10521927)
Why not, eh?

If I was being a complete prick I'd get the following:

THE look
Scamp, middle name 1, middle name 2, surname!
A very quiet warning of the impending punishment.
BOOM. Smacked arse.

If you need telling 4 times, you need a smack.

Absolutely correct. Was the only deterrent for me. The fear of mums slipper always stopped me behaving like a tw@t. Probbaly explains why I see so many spoilt brats these days as the only punishment is a stern lecture or they are not allowed to watch the tweenies.

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 3rd 2013 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10521898)

Are you sure you can actually get away with a remark like that without sounding just a bit creepy and sinister??? Or was that what you were going for?

Millhouse Feb 3rd 2013 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10521971)
Are you sure you can actually get away with a remark like that without sounding just a bit creepy and sinister??? Or was that what you were going for?

I'm not sure what it means in your household fella, but it's nothing sinister or creepy in mine. :rofl:

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 3rd 2013 9:53 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10521964)
Absolutely correct. Was the only deterrent for me. The fear of mums slipper always stopped me behaving like a tw@t. Probbaly explains why I see so many spoilt brats these days as the only punishment is a stern lecture or they are not allowed to watch the tweenies.

I generally got to 'THE look' and stopped whatever I was doing.

Mum was more about rewards for being good. "Help Mummy do this big food shop and I'll make sure there is a treat in there for after tea" kind of shit. Used to work though.

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 3rd 2013 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10521984)
I'm not sure what it means in your household fella, but it's nothing sinister or creepy in mine. :rofl:

Just a bit of good old-fashioned child abuse then.....nothing to see here!

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 3rd 2013 9:56 am

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They don't mean to but they do.

britexpat76 Feb 3rd 2013 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10521991)
I generally got to 'THE look' and stopped whatever I was doing.

Mum was more about rewards for being good. "Help Mummy do this big food shop and I'll make sure there is a treat in there for after tea" kind of shit. Used to work though.

Dad was good cop, Mum bad cop. They did occasionally change roles but that was just confusing. I do remember offering my Granddad out when I was being a very special prick, I must of been about 12. Stepped outside onto the lawn and got dropped in 1. I never again messed about with my ex Army boxing champion and generally hard desert rat grandfather.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 3rd 2013 10:24 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10522029)
Dad was good cop, Mum bad cop. They did occasionally change roles but that was just confusing. I do remember offering my Granddad out when I was being a very special prick, I must of been about 12. Stepped outside onto the lawn and got dropped in 1. I never again messed about with my ex Army boxing champion and generally hard desert rat grandfather.

Mum was generally bad cop. But that was because Dad turned up on Saturday morning and took me (and my sister) off to do fun shit for the day and then dropped us back at the rule-makers.

OriginalSunshine Feb 3rd 2013 3:11 pm

tough on Mum. she must have hated that.

oh and britishexpat:

I must have been about 12
... just correcting that for you ;)

Millhouse Feb 3rd 2013 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10522374)
tough on Mum. she must have hated that.

Why? I'm good cop in my house. We never discussed these roles, it's just the why it naturally evolved.

Norm_uk Feb 3rd 2013 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10521999)

I think Chris Grayling has done nothing the majority of parents in his generation have done. I smacked my son once or twice when he was very small...now I only hit him in self defence;).

N.

OriginalSunshine Feb 3rd 2013 3:57 pm

sounds like Scamps parents were divorced the way he wrote it, and she had to do all the day to day shit and lay down rules, and dad swooped in like a superhero, spoilt the kids, and swooped out again. but maybe I'm assuming too much?!

Millhouse Feb 3rd 2013 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10521999)

Is this post a cry for help?

OleJanx Feb 3rd 2013 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10522441)
Is this post a cry for help?

No, it's 'This Be The Verse'...but you knew that, anyway.:)

kittycat1 Feb 3rd 2013 4:23 pm

I can't remember who said it but

'You spend your entire adulthood getting over your childhood' or something like that.

I don't see anything wrong with a controlled slap, the problem is not everyone can stay controlled.

My most mortifying experience as a kid, about 4 or so out christmas shopping with my parents, I was bored and was misbehaving, had a couple of warnings and then in front of everyone my mum pulled my knickers down and slapped my bum in public- I was horrified but I tell you what I was good as gold for the rest of the day! We generally just got a slap across the palm from my mum, but the odd proper smack from my dad. I would then cry and my dad would come and apologise later which gave me all the power back.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 3rd 2013 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10522435)
sounds like Scamps parents were divorced the way he wrote it, and she had to do all the day to day shit and lay down rules, and dad swooped in like a superhero, spoilt the kids, and swooped out again. but maybe I'm assuming too much?!

Bingo.

Made worse by the fact Dad was doing well and Mum had considerably less cash.

World Champion Feb 4th 2013 4:12 am

I think it's ok to hit a boy, or grab him by the collar and throw him down, but not a girl. I didn't even yell at my girls.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 4th 2013 4:13 am

Originally Posted by World Champion (Post 10523338)
I think it' ok to hit a boy, or grab him by the collar and throw him down, but not a girl. I didn't even yell at my girls.

Yank?

The Dean Feb 4th 2013 4:23 am

Only one probem with smacking - it doesn't work. It makes kids more rebellious, more defiant, etc. Not immediately, but it builds up...........

The only effective punishment is to say NO and mean it and stick to it - 'you've been naughty, so I'm not going to let you go out and play football with your friends'. Works a treat.

World Champion Feb 4th 2013 4:28 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10523353)
Only one probem with smacking - it doesn't work. It makes kids more rebellious, more defiant, etc. Not immediately, but it builds up...........

Ah...You're wrong..My dad smacked me around all the time and I turned out just fine.

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 4th 2013 6:20 am

Because we just don't have enough elevated moments on here and I have a slight opening (steady) and because these are words to live by (not least a way to avoid the issue of smacking altogether), here's the whole thing:

This be the Verse
by Philip Larkin

They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****ed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 4th 2013 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10523460)
Because we just don't have enough elevated moments on here and I have a slight opening (steady) and because these are words to live by (not least a way to avoid the issue of smacking altogether), here's the whole thing:

This be the Verse
by Philip Larkin

They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****ed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

Crikey, that's some depressing stuff right there.

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 4th 2013 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10523465)
Crikey, that's some depressing stuff right there.

You obviously haven't read much of the rest of Larkin then. And I'd definitely stay well away from Sylvia Plath also....

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 4th 2013 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10523473)
You obviously haven't read much of the rest of Larkin then. And I'd definitely stay well away from Sylvia Plath also....

'Fortunately' not.

(I appreciate some poetry but am no expert or serious reader. I just like some poems. That one seemed a bit depressing...not bad, but depressing. A bit like reading the books that were really popular a few years ago about kids suffering abuse. Not bad books, but crumbs, horrific to contemplate.)

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 4th 2013 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10523481)
'Fortunately' not.

(I appreciate some poetry but am no expert or serious reader. I just like some poems. That one seemed a bit depressing...not bad, but depressing. A bit like reading the books that were really popular a few years ago about kids suffering abuse. Not bad books, but crumbs, horrific to contemplate.)

Larkin is bitterly funny though, not just pure misery. If you read it that way it comes over quite differently. After all he is probably the only prominent poet to have referred to "wanking" (hope that gets through) in his poems. He is also the author of this, much of which you may recognise even if you weren't aware of the source:

Annus Mirabilis
Sexual intercourse began
In nineteen sixty-three
(which was rather late for me) -
Between the end of the Chatterley ban
And the Beatles' first LP.

Up to then there'd only been
A sort of bargaining,
A wrangle for the ring,
A shame that started at sixteen
And spread to everything.

Then all at once the quarrel sank:
Everyone felt the same,
And every life became
A brilliant breaking of the bank,
A quite unlosable game.

So life was never better than
In nineteen sixty-three
(Though just too late for me) -
Between the end of the Chatterley ban
And the Beatles' first LP.

Eeyore Feb 4th 2013 7:42 am

Originally Posted by World Champion (Post 10523361)
Ah...You're wrong..My dad smacked me around all the time and I turned out just fine.

So there was no other way to deal with you other than physically assault you?

That's the thing, really - adults like to hide behind less emotive words like "smacking", but really, it's assault. Adults would usually be quick to turn to the law for restitution if another adult "smacked" them, and they'd refer to it as assault too.

One of the reasons why I don't agree with those who would like to see the reintroduction of corporal punishment in schools is that the clear evidence is that it didn't work. Or rather, it might have worked to deter the kids who were basically good, but it didn't offer the slightest deterrent to the hard cases and persistent troublemakers, i.e. the ones who most needed deterring, because the punishment records from schools all over the country show the same names over and over and over again.

NorthernLad Feb 4th 2013 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10523547)

That's the thing, really - adults like to hide behind less emotive words like "smacking", but really, it's assault. Adults would usually be quick to turn to the law for restitution if another adult "smacked" them, and they'd refer to it as assault too.

One of the reasons why I don't agree with those who would like to see the reintroduction of corporal punishment in schools is that the clear evidence is that it didn't work. Or rather, it might have worked to deter the kids who were basically good, but it didn't offer the slightest deterrent to the hard cases and persistent troublemakers, i.e. the ones who most needed deterring, because the punishment records from schools all over the country show the same names over and over and over again.

A slap on the back of the legs never did me any harm.

If someone slapped me on the back of the legs in the pub I doubt I'd be calling the coppers.

Welivehere Feb 4th 2013 9:32 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10523667)
A slap on the back of the legs never did me any harm.

:amen:

Eeyore Feb 5th 2013 5:40 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10523667)
A slap on the back of the legs never did me any harm

So you're an advocate of assaulting children?

britexpat76 Feb 5th 2013 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10525653)

Haha, Hilarious. In the days kids did get a slap you certainly had far fewer reprobates running around the streets causing mayhem and having no respect for people or property.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 5th 2013 6:02 am

Yes.

Now what?

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 5th 2013 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10523547)

Huge difference between giving a kid who's being a little shit a smack bum and corporal punishment in schools.

weasel decentral Feb 5th 2013 6:06 am

Nothing like spending a Saturday night giving some kid or other a good shoeing, if that's considered assault now the world has gone mad.

weasel decentral Feb 5th 2013 6:08 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10525664)
Haha, Hilarious. In the days kids did get a slap you certainly had far fewer reprobates running around the streets causing mayhem and having no respect for people or property.

Not against giving them a slap but the old days were not golden days of behaviour, there were just as many miscreants then as there are knocking about now.

britexpat76 Feb 5th 2013 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10525677)
Huge difference between giving a kid who's being a little shit a smack bum and corporal punishment in schools.

I got punched by the Lincoln prop forward Mr 'Bob' Kenyon at school, Mr Speed used to throw tennis balls at your head and Mrs Booth was a complete schizophrenic. That was 3 lessons you never ****ed about in. They were all 1st class teachers as was proven by the fact of the marks their students achieved and the fact we all behaved. They would all sadly be out of work in this age of mollycoddling little shits.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 5th 2013 6:19 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10525686)
I got punched by the Lincoln prop forward Mr 'Bob' Kenyon at school, Mr Speed used to throw tennis balls at your head and Mrs Booth was a complete schizophrenic. That was 3 lessons you never ****ed about in. They were all 1st class teachers as was proven by the fact of the marks their students achieved and the fact we all behaved. They would all sadly be out of work in this age of mollycoddling little shits.

Never had any of that at school.

We were all too scared of some teachers to **** about, Dyer in History was a phenomenal teacher - not just because he made a kid cry by staring at him but his teaching ability was seriously mega.

I'd have been kicking and screaming like a right **** if a teacher had hit me. Just like I was when my old dear tried to lump me when I was about 15 and sort of, accidentally ruined her holiday nearly. :o:o:o

NorthernLad Feb 5th 2013 6:40 am

Totally.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 5th 2013 6:41 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10525719)
Totally.

Not sure what is going to happen next.

Maybe he'll set up a kangaroo court and start the trial?