Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Chris Fisher and the Mountain Of Debt

Chris Fisher and the Mountain Of Debt

Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chris Fisher and the Mountain Of Debt

Originally Posted by commander
Its not nice to read, and I hope meow was not his IFA...

I guess getting into debt in his line of work must be easy...I could imagine it involves a lot of compulsory socializing that's not covered on expenses.

Fair play to him for skipping, would do the same thing in that situation. I wouldn't have sold the story though
Too true. I would do the same. I have a family I'd quite like to see again.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Its not nice to read, and I hope meow was not his IFA...

I guess getting into debt in his line of work must be easy...I could imagine it involves a lot of compulsory socializing that's not covered on expenses.

Fair play to him for skipping, would do the same thing in that situation. I wouldn't have sold the story though
just for the record, he didn't sell the story
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:35 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
just for the record, he didn't sell the story
I think it was very brave of him to tell his story and admit his mistakes - it can only benefit those who are either getting into or are already in that situation. Even if it encourages a few people to seek help or do something about the mess they're in. I think more of these stories should be publicised, it's a great way to get through to people and show them how it easy it is to get into the same situation if they're not sensible.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

dodgy business to be in especially in this part of the world, could be out on your ear at a minutes notice

can't imagine how a single fella managed to rack that much debt up though, always seemed a nice fella when I met him but obviously a bit naive.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it really sad that someone can live in Dubai for 10 years and leave penniless and in huge financial debt. Idiots who've been there for a year, rented the biggest villa they can find, bought a brand new Range Rover Sports, put their kids into the most expensive schools etc, they will rack up debts very quickly unless they are on an all inclusive package - but after 10 years - that much debt and no savings ? That is really sad.

N
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic1
I find it really sad that someone can live in Dubai for 10 years and leave penniless and in huge financial debt. Idiots who've been there for a year, rented the biggest villa they can find, bought a brand new Range Rover Sports, put their kids into the most expensive schools etc, they will rack up debts very quickly unless they are on an all inclusive package - but after 10 years - that much debt and no savings ? That is really sad.

N
Why is it sad?

It says in the article that he blew it on holidays and parties. He knew what he was doing - he just thought it would continue forever.

It's not like he is an Indian laborer who has been promised the earth only to find he was lied to and will go home penniless and exhausted. This guy was earning 50k AED a month and made a decision to spend more than he earnt.

I have one debt in this country, and more than enough cash to cover it if I had to. You just have to live inside your means...
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is sad because he thought it would last forever - duh!

N
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:00 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nic1

N
He did'nt leave penniles, he has an apartment in Cyprus he paid 432,000AED
for and which he wants to hang on to but only until the market recovers.
Then, no doubt, he will sell it and pay his debts.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:38 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
what a load of crap...
you can be friends with someone and still think they did something wrong, or is that not possible?
I regard people who can constructively criticise and give advice as good friends...but as someone already said he was given advice and didn't listen and I'm sure he recieved advice from more than one person too.

He's not the only person to never listen to friends and those who know better...and I'm sure he won't be the last.

N.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Why is it sad?

It says in the article that he blew it on holidays and parties. He knew what he was doing - he just thought it would continue forever.

It's not like he is an Indian laborer who has been promised the earth only to find he was lied to and will go home penniless and exhausted. This guy was earning 50k AED a month and made a decision to spend more than he earnt.

I have one debt in this country, and more than enough cash to cover it if I had to. You just have to live inside your means...
it actually said in his prime he had earned 50k a month, he wasn't earning that in recent years
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

it actually said in his prime he had earned 50k a month, he wasn't earning that in recent years
Wasn't he the one who was going to have a gastric banding?? His present situation should do wonders for his diet!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:01 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Wasn't he the one who was going to have a gastric banding?? His present situation should do wonders for his diet!
ouch....
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:18 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

fûck me pink, and I thought I was bad with money....
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
fûck me pink, and I thought I was bad with money....
what a disgusting phrase
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:55 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=EmiratesMillhouse;8047847]Why is it sad?

I have one debt in this country, and more than enough cash to cover it if I had to. You just have to live inside your means...[/
QUOTE]

I fully understand the need for Chris Fisher (and others) to do a runner because of the irrational approach to debt in the UAE.

However, without wanting to appear a schadenfreude (sp?) or a know all, I have to agree with Millhouse. He has taken an irresponsible approach to handling money, maybe through naievity, foolishness, maybe through greed, who knows.

I earn a good salary by UK standards, and keep within my means despite the temptations to b low it all away. The total costs of the debts incurred by people like CF will ultimately affect a lot of other people and not just themselves.

Regards his receiving benefits in the UK, he isnt getting a great deal of cash and isnt getting free council accomodation, so no big deal. He has to survive.

Regards his house in Cyprus, once it goes back into positive equity, will he sell it to pay off his debt, I doubt it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.