British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Chris Fisher and the Mountain Of Debt (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/chris-fisher-mountain-debt-637546/)

Autonomy Oct 26th 2009 7:59 am

Chris Fisher and the Mountain Of Debt

280,000dhs to be precise...

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....710239886/1042

Inselaffen Oct 26th 2009 9:31 am

Re: Chris Fisher and the Mountain Of Debt

probably quite small in comparison to some debts people have got into over there

commander Oct 26th 2009 9:48 am

bet all his 'fans' on here have deserted him now....

what a muppet though really...

Norm_uk Oct 26th 2009 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8045170)

Nice to know you can not pay tax for ten years then go back because you have lived a completely financially irresponsible lifestyle and the state will give you enought money to eat and drink each week until you find work.

I don't have sympathy for him or others who rack up huge debts buying property in boom bubbles or living it up off the credit card...I do believe the UAE desperate needs bankruptcies laws to stop people feeling like they need to run away thought...

N.

Spugsy Oct 26th 2009 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8045386)
bet all his 'fans' on here have deserted him now....

what a muppet though really...

isn't he mates with quite a few people on here??

shiva Oct 26th 2009 1:38 pm

aye and i'm blown away by how many of them have jumped in here with their support for him...a truely humbling display of loyalty and friendship

Meow Oct 26th 2009 1:49 pm

I know Chris, but I do not see the need to comment about the issue here.

-

MataHari Oct 26th 2009 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 8045896)
aye and i'm blown away by how many of them have jumped in here with their support for him...a truely humbling display of loyalty and friendship

what a load of crap...
you can be friends with someone and still think they did something wrong, or is that not possible?
I really don't see what his friends would need to say about it here on BE to be honest...

Morecambe Mindy Oct 26th 2009 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 8045896)

There was quite a long thread on EW yesterday, on which quite a few of friends did stick up for him.

Don't know the guy personally, and think that the things he got into debt for were luxuries, holidays that kind of thing, but he was working and could cover his loan and I suppose he felt secure, not everyone has a contingency if things go pear-shaped.

Someone did say that he had tried to renegotiate his loan terms with the banks here, but they just didn't want to know, so he really had sod all option but to leg it, otherwise he would've been sat in jail.

banter64 Oct 26th 2009 2:34 pm

People in glass houses should not throw stones comes to mind - I am sure that a great deal of people on here and in Dubai have car loans ect and if push came to shove then they would rather run than end in Jail, I do however think he was very silly to advertise what he did in the newspaper :(

Blue Cat Oct 26th 2009 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8045924)
what a load of crap...
you can be friends with someone and still think they did something wrong, or is that not possible?
I really don't see what his friends would need to say about it here on BE to be honest...

exactly, I did enough defending him yesterday on the witches site to last a life time. It's all there in the article for all to see, so really nothing else to discuss.

Madam Medusa Oct 26th 2009 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8045913)
I know Chris, but I do not see the need to comment about the issue here.

-

what meow said...

MM, xx

soukie Oct 26th 2009 3:35 pm

Interesting that he can claim UK unemployment benefit after 10 years in UAE ! I wonder if they take his rental income from Cyprus into account?

commander Oct 26th 2009 5:40 pm

Its not nice to read, and I hope meow was not his IFA...

I guess getting into debt in his line of work must be easy...I could imagine it involves a lot of compulsory socializing that's not covered on expenses.

Fair play to him for skipping, would do the same thing in that situation. I wouldn't have sold the story though

Meow Oct 26th 2009 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8046367)
Its not nice to read, and I hope meow was not his IFA...

I guess getting into debt in his line of work must be easy...I could imagine it involves a lot of compulsory socializing that's not covered on expenses.

Fair play to him for skipping, would do the same thing in that situation. I wouldn't have sold the story though

No, I was not. I did try & give him some advice regarding debt management a while ago, but he didn't take it. That's all I can say.

-