Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Children unrestrained in cars...

Children unrestrained in cars...

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children unrestrained in cars...

Originally Posted by Dilmun
Children jumping around in cars is scary, but even scarier is, when you see those kids driving the huge SUV's. Have seen it in Qatar several times - boys behind steering wheels, who don't need to shave yet, but know how to put the pedal to the metal
Yes i see about one a week of those been rolled and a right off.
These cars (SUV) are a very powerfull beast and unless you know how to handle one , you can easy find your self in trouble.
But again the parents havent a clue the brainless muppets.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:38 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

My mate Ali the Copper says that everything will change this year in Abu Dhabi in this regard... Can't remember if that came with an "In Sh'Allah" caveat or not.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:10 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Some people are just ignorant and/or stupid...but the laws on this sort of thing are rarely enforced here like many other traffic laws.

In most of Europe you can get a ticket for not using an indicator to make a turn...in the UAE you can whizz over two or three lanes at high speed without any warning or checking your mirrors with a police car just behind you and nothing will happen (just like I saw this morning).

I've lost my appetite for the cultural relativism we are force fed in the West after a decade here...some cultures are simply better than others - even when it comes to basic things like driving safely.

N.
All well and good, but everyone measures the success of their culture in different ways, and from very different viewpoints. If you were an Emirati, you'd believe Arab culture was best, I warrant. Who can say they are unbiased enough to give an objective view?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
All well and good, but everyone measures the success of their culture in different ways, and from very different viewpoints. If you were an Emirati, you'd believe Arab culture was best, I warrant. Who can say they are unbiased enough to give an objective view?
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....703099811/1010

Thats why...!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:16 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Well, it was all in God's hands. You just can't argue with that (lack of) logic.

I was just poking Norm, really. I like to keep him on his toes.