British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Children unrestrained in cars... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/children-unrestrained-cars-656582/)

Hello.Kitty Feb 25th 2010 5:39 am

Children unrestrained in cars...

The National has run an article on it - amazing epiphany there on the part of the decision makers, but my slightly morbid fascination has also made me hunt down a crash test video (albeit quite old) showing what happens when a child is sitting on a person's lap (not included in the article's video presentation.

makes me feel rather sick, tbh.

Blue Cat Feb 25th 2010 6:12 am

Re: Children unrestrained in cars...

this infuriates me no end, kids not strapped in :( saw a woman the other day with a baby in a chair in the front seat, front facing as well!!! there is a guy called Adam Kechil who is visiting all schools trying to educate people about road safety. He has a group on facebook too :thumbup:

Jeeper Feb 25th 2010 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8373253)
The National has run an article on it - amazing epiphany there on the part of the decision makers, but my slightly morbid fascination has also made me hunt down a crash test video (albeit quite old) showing what happens when a child is sitting on a person's lap (not included in the article's video presentation.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=orDM8tCn9pY

makes me feel rather sick, tbh.

Need to find a video demonstrating a 120kph speed crash which is not in slow motion.

Seeing parents drive around with kids on their lap makes me want to get out and bang their heads together.:frown:

Madam Medusa Feb 25th 2010 6:43 am

it totally does my head in seeing unrestrained kids...especially when they are in the front seat, or poking their heads through to the front...even worse, the mother/father is usally on the phone, not hands free of course...total and utter idiots...

MM, xx

Hello.Kitty Feb 25th 2010 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8373309)
bang their heads together.:frown:

which is unfortunately what would happen were they in an accident...

co durham boy Feb 25th 2010 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8373309)
Need to find a video demonstrating a 120kph speed crash which is not in slow motion.

Seeing parents drive around with kids on their lap makes me want to get out and bang their heads together.:frown:

as me mother says " you can't educate pork"

Jeeper Feb 25th 2010 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8373319)
the mother/father is usally on the phone, not hands free of course...total and utter idiots...

MM, xx

Of course we all agree regarding being on the phone while driving - it makes no difference if it's hands free or not....don't we?!

TGFKASE Feb 25th 2010 7:09 am

I simply look at it as a perfect example of Darwinian theory in action....

Lets face it, no matter how many times it happens 'to someone else', these idiots feel that there progeny are somehow cossetted in a protective bubble that requires no management on their part...

In fact, to prove how 'special' they are, they shall tempt fate every time they get behind the wheel..

Madam Medusa Feb 25th 2010 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8373369)
Of course we all agree regarding being on the phone while driving - it makes no difference if it's hands free or not....don't we?!

no, what's the issue if it's hand's free...? comes as part of many car packages so can't be an issue??

MM, xx

Hello.Kitty Feb 25th 2010 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8373381)
no, what's the issue if it's hand's free...? comes as part of many car packages so can't be an issue??

MM, xx

it's a concentration thing - apparently, "studies have shown" that people having a conversation concentrate less on what they are doing, namely driving. One could argue that this also applies to having a conversation with someone in the car, but hey.

TGFKASE Feb 25th 2010 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8373398)
it's a concentration thing - apparently, "studies have shown" that people having a conversation concentrate less on what they are doing, namely driving. One could argue that this also applies to having a conversation with someone in the car, but hey.

Who needs a passenger...

After a day in my office, I have a quite sparkling conversation with myself as I negotiate the drive home...

Its the closest to an intelligent conversation I get all day....

Madam Medusa Feb 25th 2010 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8373398)

well that's exactly what i was going to say...these people who are gabbing away to the passenger beside them and looking at them the whole time and not the road must be worse than being on the phone, where you can continue to look where you need to...and that's nothing compared with the situation when you've got kids misbehaving in the back...

MM, xx

shakh your bootie Feb 25th 2010 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8373406)
well that's exactly what i was going to say...these people who are gabbing away to the passenger beside them and looking at them the whole time and not the road must be worse than being on the phone, where you can continue to look where you need to...and that's nothing compared with the situation when you've got kids misbehaving in the back...

MM, xx

The answer is to ban children from cars.

TGFKASE Feb 25th 2010 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8373406)

MM, xx

S'funny, innit....

They are looking to introduce legislation banning smoking in cars where young children are travelling, yet the polis seem more than happy to let cars fly past them on SZR etc when it is perfectly obvious to everyone the kids are running riot throughout the vehicle...

TGFKASE Feb 25th 2010 7:30 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8373412)
The answer is to ban children from cars.

Ahhh...

The voice of reason at last.....:thumbup: