British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   CHICKENS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/chickens-619780/)

pauldxb Jul 13th 2009 5:02 am

CHICKENS

Is it just me or are all the chickens you buy here just extra small around 1100grams.... Is it possible to be regular sized chickens anywhere ? I had 8 people round for a roast last Saturday & i had to buy 3 small chickens. Is it just an emirati thing or is it like this all over the ME & if so WTF !

Spugsy Jul 13th 2009 5:34 am

Re: CHICKENS

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7747358)
Is it just me or are all the chickens you buy here just extra small around 1100grams.... Is it possible to be regular sized chickens anywhere ? I had 8 people round for a roast last Saturday & i had to buy 3 small chickens. Is it just an emirati thing or is it like this all over the ME & if so WTF !

yeah the daft thing is the chickens are small, but if you buy chicken breasts they are massive.

eylesda Jul 13th 2009 6:01 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7747358)

All over the ME. They have a standard lifespan for the birds which are sold whole and another extra couple of weeks for those sold as parts.

From what I remember it is 11 weeks and 13 weeks.

I did some some work 20 odd years ago at the biggest poultry farm in the world, Al Watania, at Qassim in Saudi Arabia.
Is is flat land and for as far as the eye can see there are chicken sheds which look like airplane hangers.

They brought a lot of them in as chicks and it was quite a sight to see this massive vibrating yellow carpet.

Back then they processed 14 million chickens a day!

They are kept in the dark and crammed in very tightly so they don't burn energy wandering around.

They used "blessed" circular saws to cut their heads off the halal way.

All very interesting, well I think so:unsure:

pauldxb Jul 13th 2009 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7747394)
yeah the daft thing is the chickens are small, but if you buy chicken breasts they are massive.

what ? Are you serious

pauldxb Jul 13th 2009 6:09 am

Originally Posted by eylesda (Post 7747435)
All over the ME. They have a standard lifespan for the birds which are sold whole and another extra couple of weeks for those sold as parts.

From what I remember it is 11 weeks and 13 weeks.

I did some some work 20 odd years ago at the biggest poultry farm in the world, Al Watania, at Qassim in Saudi Arabia.
Is is flat land and for as far as the eye can see there are chicken sheds which look like airplane hangers.

They brought a lot of them in as chicks and it was quite a sight to see this massive vibrating yellow carpet.

Back then they processed 14 million chickens a day!

They are kept in the dark and crammed in very tightly so they don't burn energy wandering around.

They used "blessed" circular saws to cut their heads off the halal way.

All very interesting, well I think so:unsure:

A blessed circular saw.... Ive heard it al now

MacScot Jul 13th 2009 6:13 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7747444)
what ? Are you serious

'tis true. I've also noticed that the breasts are large.

captainflack Jul 13th 2009 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7747394)

Yes, I have to say though I quite approve of small birds with big breasts.

Spugsy Jul 13th 2009 6:20 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7747444)
what ? Are you serious

yep, spinneys chicken breasts are massive.

Spugsy Jul 13th 2009 6:21 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7747453)
'tis true. I've also noticed that the breasts are large.

and thats just MM at the quiz.

Boom tish!

pauldxb Jul 13th 2009 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7747461)

Boom tish!

:thumbsup:

pauldxb Jul 13th 2009 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7747460)
yep, spinneys chicken breasts are massive.

Ive heard, ' how sad is this ' that there is an organic shop at Dubai Mall that sells full size chickens

MacScot Jul 13th 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7747461)

Boom tish!

Heh heh :sneaky::lol:

Blue Cat Jul 13th 2009 6:49 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7747474)
Ive heard, ' how sad is this ' that there is an organic shop at Dubai Mall that sells full size chickens

it's true, also at their branch at the Greens, pricey but nice :)

Lorna at Vicenza Jul 13th 2009 7:02 am

I'm quite surprised that BethPage' hasn't been on this thread already to tell us that his chickens are as good as his beef and the best in the world.

Blue Cat Jul 13th 2009 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 7747539)
I'm quite surprised that BethPage' hasn't been on this thread already to tell us that his chickens are as good as his beef and the best in the world.

he is still asleep .....