British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   cheap international calls (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cheap-international-calls-734240/)

sebs Oct 1st 2011 9:14 am

cheap international calls

Hi

Anyone know of any internet phone services that work from the UAE? Damn expensive to call home...

co durham boy Oct 1st 2011 10:23 am

Re: cheap international calls

Originally Posted by sebs (Post 9651206)
Hi

Anyone know of any internet phone services that work from the UAE? Damn expensive to call home...

sebs Oct 1st 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks. Skype doesn't work well even with vpn.

A friend just recommended <snip> (which, according to their website, is focussed on UAE, Qatar and Saudi!!) - he said it works great from the UAE without vpn. Just bought $2 credit from them to try it out. Will let you know...

sebs Oct 1st 2011 7:46 pm

OK I tried it and it works really well, made 4 calls to UK - 1 cent per min. But apparently the moderator thinks it's spam to pass on a good tip so I can't tell you which service I'm using!

International calls are ridiculously expensive from here, and I think it would be very useful to have a thread where people can recommend services they've tried successfully so everyone can benefit. And you can even put a warning on the thread that the thread contains recommendations so anyone not interested can avoid it. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth!!! I will respect the rules now...

Bob Oct 1st 2011 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by sebs (Post 9651878)
OK I tried it and it works really well, made 4 calls to UK - 1 cent per min. But apparently the moderator thinks it's spam to pass on a good tip so I can't tell you which service I'm using!

International calls are ridiculously expensive from here, and I think it would be very useful to have a thread where people can recommend services they've tried successfully so everyone can benefit. And you can even put a warning on the thread that the thread contains recommendations so anyone not interested can avoid it. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth!!! I will respect the rules now...

You're a new poster, it was your second post, talking about a new service.

That does look very spammy. We get a lot of people doing that, across the board.

Not getting banned for it was me giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Autonomy Oct 1st 2011 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9651910)
You're a new poster, it was your second post, talking about a new service.

That does look very spammy. We get a lot of people doing that, across the board.

Not getting banned for it was me giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I love it when you are so masterful.... reminds me of Ed Rooney in Ferris Bueller...

Bob Oct 1st 2011 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9652000)
I love it when you are so masterful.... reminds me of Ed Rooney in Ferris Bueller...

:lol: