British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Cheap as Chips...please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cheap-chips-please-522607/)

MissDemeanor Mar 18th 2008 9:49 am

Cheap as Chips...please!

Can anyone help me?
Got my friend coming out next week,and as a bribe to let her come she promised he son a Nintendo WII or xbox 3 or whatever crap 12 year olds play with.
Are there certain places that I can get one cheaper?Im guessing Mall of the Emirates wont be that cheap.I was thinking carrefour?

Chris79 Mar 18th 2008 9:57 am

Re: Cheap as Chips...please!

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 6078157)
Can anyone help me?
Got my friend coming out next week,and as a bribe to let her come she promised he son a Nintendo WII or xbox 3 or whatever crap 12 year olds play with.
Are there certain places that I can get one cheaper?Im guessing Mall of the Emirates wont be that cheap.I was thinking carrefour?

I got my Wii from Toys r us in abu dhabi (sorry I know your in Dubai)
It was nearly the same price as the ones in Carrefour. Think I paid approx 1700AED, got one game with it and the sports game thing. There are some better deals out there now though (3 games included etc).
Be careful what version you buy, there is NTSC and PAL versions. One works with UK games the PAL version doesn't.
Worth the money - so funny when you've had a few beers and get playing boxing, tennis or bowling.

Fairydust Mar 18th 2008 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6078187)
I got my Wii from Toys r us in abu dhabi (sorry I know your in Dubai)
It was nearly the same price as the ones in Carrefour. Think I paid approx 1700AED, got one game with it and the sports game thing. There are some better deals out there now though (3 games included etc).
Be careful what version you buy, there is NTSC and PAL versions. One works with UK games the PAL version doesn't.
Worth the money - so funny when you've had a few beers and get playing boxing, tennis or bowling.

Its the PAL that is compatable with UK games - NTSC is US

MissDemeanor Mar 18th 2008 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 6078199)

thanks,I thought so!

Chris79 Mar 18th 2008 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 6078199)

Ok, 50-50 chance! I need to check what version I have then!! I haven't bought any additional games for mine yet.

MissDemeanor Mar 18th 2008 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6078210)
Ok, 50-50 chance! I need to check what version I have then!! I haven't bought any additional games for mine yet.

is it more or less the same price as in the uk?

Fairydust Mar 18th 2008 10:03 am

I have a feeling that C4 only sell NTSC (or used to) as do Geekay. Best bet is Sharaf DG. Virgin also have them but tend to be a bit dearer. If your friend is in UK prob best to get it there before she comes

MissDemeanor Mar 18th 2008 10:05 am

Is there anything is this bloody place that is cheaper than back home??!
Bugger.

Fairydust Mar 18th 2008 10:08 am

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 6078227)
Is there anything is this bloody place that is cheaper than back home??!
Bugger.

Diamonds :p

Chris79 Mar 18th 2008 10:09 am

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 6078213)
is it more or less the same price as in the uk?

I thought they were cheaper over here?!
I know they are cheaper over here than in the states and they are easier to get hold off. My american boss took a case load back with him!!!

MissDemeanor Mar 18th 2008 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 6078233)
Diamonds :p

Aaah.Now that I have found out....much to my old mans disgust!!

MissDemeanor Mar 18th 2008 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6078235)
I know they are cheaper over here than in the states and they are easier to get hold off. My american boss took a case load back with him!!!

well ask him where he got them!!!

Fairydust Mar 18th 2008 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6078235)

GBP 180 for the basic console and sports in argos or 210 with one extra game. So compared to 1700 here def. cheaper in UK. Just noticed they are launching Wii Fit on 25 april. That looks good - GBP 70 though!!

Blue Cat Mar 18th 2008 10:13 am

the PS3 is cheaper in the UK than here, my cousin asked me to get one for her but declined the offer - they were 75quid more expensive here!

Blue Cat Mar 18th 2008 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 6078249)
GBP 180 for the basic console and sports in argos or 210 with one extra game. So compared to 1700 here def. cheaper in UK. Just noticed they are launching Wii Fit on 25 april. That looks good - GBP 70 though!!

we posted together :rofl: