Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Cheap but good reßtaurants - abu dhabi

Cheap but good reßtaurants - abu dhabi

Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheap but good reßtaurants - abu dhabi

Following on from BBs recomendation of Hanoi. Any others that are any good? I don't mind splashing out for something nice now and again, but would probably go out more often if I knew of more less pricey restaurants.

I've been to Bamboo in the dump next to Le Meridien, which I found pretty food value for money for what it was. If I remember correctly, 150 including all bottled beverages, and all food cooked to order (ish).

Any other suggestions?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap but good reßtaurants - abu dhabi

Al Saj Cafe - corner of Electra and Najda
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:49 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Lebanese Flower (of course).
Samurai: good sushi (gets 'er indoors' approval) and Korean barbecue. Near Capital Hotel.
Il Piazza (?) at Al Ain Palace Hotel. Cheap if you stick to their great pizzas, still not expensive for other dishes.
New City Chinese, almost next door to Hanoi: authentic Chinese.
Coopers Brunch: AED 159 for very good carvery plus unlimited 4-hour booze.
Brico's: various locations: gets my Italian friend's approval.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds like a good thread for a wiki cull at some point...if anyone fancies it

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Abu_Dhabi_City_Guide Already a start, but perhaps out of date and needs updating at the bottom
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

All are missing the essential ingredient, but great curry houses none the less and sub 100 AED/head

India Palace - Salam Street
Moti Mahal - Salam Street
Ashas- Khalydia Mall

Cho Goa - "Asian" - serves alcohol, bit pricer. lay off the booze and it's c. 90-120Dh a person.

Other low budget:
Trap Bar - Pizzas are free after 8 pints of beer. Problem is by the time you qualify for the pizza you are normally so hammered you are sharing it with a hooker. Not a place for misses brains.

49's - Great steaks and cheap booze. Flooded with girls after about 9.30pm but I always used to go there with Mrs Millhouse.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

The "Curry House" just inside the block at the junction of 7th (Electra) and 4th is great value. No booze but 2 can eat themselves silly for around 100 Dhs.

The onion kulchas are to die for....
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
All are missing the essential ingredient, but great curry houses none the less and sub 100 AED/head

India Palace - Salam Street
Moti Mahal - Salam Street
Ashas- Khalydia Mall

Cho Goa - "Asian" - serves alcohol, bit pricer. lay off the booze and it's c. 90-120Dh a person.

Other low budget:
Trap Bar - Pizzas are free after 8 pints of beer. Problem is by the time you qualify for the pizza you are normally so hammered you are sharing it with a hooker. Not a place for misses brains.

49's - Great steaks and cheap booze. Flooded with girls after about 9.30pm but I always used to go there with Mrs Millhouse.
yeh i was going to say indian palace and 49s too!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

There's an Indian cafe which is recommended in Time Out (or was when I last checked, a couple of months ago) next to an Indian Cinema just off Hamdan St (and somewhere between 6th and Salam St). One price, fixed menu, as much as you can eat - recently put the price up from 5 AED to 8 AED!! It's vegetarian only, formica tables, quite small, with friendly service. There are normally 4-5 currys, rice and nan bread. I used to eat there last year when I was on my own over here once every 2-3 weeks with another (British) friend who is quite a curry fan, and it is great.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by archie159
There's an Indian cafe which is recommended in Time Out (or was when I last checked, a couple of months ago) next to an Indian Cinema just off Hamdan St (and somewhere between 6th and Salam St). One price, fixed menu, as much as you can eat - recently put the price up from 5 AED to 8 AED!! It's vegetarian only, formica tables, quite small, with friendly service. There are normally 4-5 currys, rice and nan bread. I used to eat there last year when I was on my own over here once every 2-3 weeks with another (British) friend who is quite a curry fan, and it is great.
The restaurant is next to Eldorado cinema and is veggie only but excellent.

Fujairah restuarant across the road is a very good Pakistani restuarant and v. cheap.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Chinese neighbours introduced us to Noodle Bowl, the restaurant above the bowling alley at Zayed Sports City. They said it was the closest to Hong Kong chinese that they could find.

Anyone tried Kebabs & Kurries from Central Market?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:36 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
Anyone tried Kebabs & Kurries from Central Market?
Two friends have, and they both say its excellent.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 7:48 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I had a very nice, very unusual Indian meal in Havelli which is in the backstreets of khalidiya not too far from Al Muhairi Centre. The directions I were given bore NO relation to the action location but it was far down a street coming off 7th. It's covered in coloured fairy lights, which is why we eventually found it.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
Over Electra not far from the Adnoc garage is Chappan Bhog. Quite pricey in relation but still on 18 for a mini thali. Yum