Cheap Beer

Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cheap Beer

Yeah. I'm paying between 3-4 quid for a pint of decent beer in London.

I'm of the opinion that alcohol should be just as expensive in the UK as in the UAE. It might solve the yob problem.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Is it really that much off a rip off? 20% more?

From what I can see beer prices in AED have been pretty much unchanged since 2008. Sterling has devalued by more than 20% in the same period. So you could argue that there is your difference.

Anyway, it's not surprising that it's more expensive - there is nowhere near by that makes it, it's essentially illegal and the customers (on salaries that are 30-50% higher than they would be in their home markets) can afford it. You would do the same. No one forces you to drink it.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:40 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

If you strip out duty and taxation it is still really a rip-off.

After you knock off VAT and duty from an average pint in the UK it's around GBP 2.00 for the beer itself.

In the UAE, alcohol tax is 33%, assuming Dubai there's also 20% luxury hotel tax and service to pay, so an AED 35 pint is around 3.50, or about 75% more.

At the IV's AED 21 a pint it's in fact pretty much equivalent to UK prices
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Yeah. I'm paying between 3-4 quid for a pint of decent beer in London.

I'm of the opinion that alcohol should be just as expensive in the UK as in the UAE. It might solve the yob problem.
Exactly.

I was going to write that arguably alcohol in the UK is too cheap. I didn't due to my three line post rule and I wasn't going to let Norm make me break it again.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:47 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.

I was going to write that arguably alcohol in the UK is too cheap. I didn't due to my three line post rule and I wasn't going to let Norm make me break it again.
There is no evidence whatsoever that increasing the price will ever make any difference. Beer is way more expensive in Scandinavia and they have an alcohol/yob problem, yet way cheaper in southern Europe and they don't. It's an attitude problem.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Scandinavian yob problem is much smaller than the UK's.

Culture certainly plays a role. Attitudes towards alcohol certainly does. The UK's always had a streak of drunkiness throughout its history and no other European country celebrates being hungover as much as the UK does, but it's really grown out of hand for a large sector of the population due to too much alcohol too readily available at too cheap prices.

Take New Zealand. NZ used to have one of the most stringent sets of alcohol laws in the anglo world, right up to the late 1980s. The laws were liberalised in the 1990s to the point that's hardly any restriction on the sale of booze. The result? Public drunkiness, binge drinking and alcohol related incidents soared.

Originally Posted by ctfc
There is no evidence whatsoever that increasing the price will ever make any difference. Beer is way more expensive in Scandinavia and they have an alcohol/yob problem, yet way cheaper in southern Europe and they don't. It's an attitude problem.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:30 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.

That's an odd rule and seems to be self-limiting, especially when you have something interesting to say (and let's face it...few things are as interesting as beer ).

Be free - write what you need to. I only force you as much as alcohol forces me to drink it

N.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
That's an odd rule and seems to be self-limiting, especially when you have something interesting to say (and let's face it...few things are as interesting as beer ).

Be free - write what you need to. I only force you as much as alcohol forces me to drink it

N.
It's ok - alcohol forces me too... but only after I give into one.

As for the three line rule... it's probably really because I have nothing meaningful to say... that said, it's a discipline I try and maintain at work too - I always find people draft amazing emails that are works of art but I struggle to read them.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:38 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ctfc
I couldn't agree more.

It's not even about how much people drink. I know people who drink massive, unhealthy amounts of booze who are very well behaved and wouldn't dream of bothering anyone.

Conversely I know people who have a glass of beer or wine and turn into the bane of humanity...you're right about attitude being the problem. And I also think the yobs are not representative of the majority of drinkers - they just make for more interesting news.

N.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I couldn't agree more.

It's not even about how much people drink. I know people who drink massive, unhealthy amounts of booze who are very well behaved and wouldn't dream of bothering anyone.

Conversely I know people who have a glass of beer or wine and turn into the bane of humanity...you're right about attitude being the problem. And I also think the yobs are not representative of the majority of drinkers - they just make for more interesting news.

N.
Gavin Henson, professional Welshman and one of dozens who have shagged Charlotte Church, comes into the latter category...........
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83
The Scandinavian yob problem is much smaller than the UK's.

Culture certainly plays a role. Attitudes towards alcohol certainly does. The UK's always had a streak of drunkiness throughout its history and no other European country celebrates being hungover as much as the UK does, but it's really grown out of hand for a large sector of the population due to too much alcohol too readily available at too cheap prices.

Take New Zealand. NZ used to have one of the most stringent sets of alcohol laws in the anglo world, right up to the late 1980s. The laws were liberalised in the 1990s to the point that's hardly any restriction on the sale of booze. The result? Public drunkiness, binge drinking and alcohol related incidents soared.
I saw far stronger drinks on sale for far lower prices almost everywhere when I was in China and yet didn't see anyone fighting (saw plenty of pissed people though) or causing trouble. I think the issue is how we are raised to view drink as a culture or society.

In the West we still seem to think taking absolutist and puritanical views towards booze will solve the problem (just like prohibition which really helped didn't it? ).

Far better to promote a drinking culture where the highest ideal is to behave and enjoy than to keep raising prices, banning it or trying to stop people...all that does is punish the majority of responsible drinkers.

N.