British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Cheap Beer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cheap-beer-714542/)

lionheart Apr 25th 2011 11:21 am

Cheap Beer

Just reminding those interested in paying only Dhs21 per pint this weekend...

THE BIG WEEKEND AT THE IRISH VILLAGE THURSDAY 28TH & FRIDAY 29TH APRIL BIG BASH... LESS CASH! NOW IS OUR TURN TO GIVE BACK! At The Irish Village, The Big Weekend – in its 3rd consecutive year! - is packed with fun, good food, excellent music... And the best is that you get to pay less... The 2-day festival will have live music from 6 different bands. On Thursday entertainment starts at 6.00 p.m. while Friday the live music is on from 4.00 p.m. onwards. Entertainment and fun for the kids are on the programme too: supervised bouncy castle area and face painting. And the best is that over the 2 days, a wide selection of your favourite beverages is priced at AED 21 only per glass. Free entry. For more information, please call 04 2824122

Spugsy Apr 25th 2011 11:30 am

Re: Cheap Beer

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9324808)

THE BIG WEEKEND AT THE IRISH VILLAGE THURSDAY 28TH & FRIDAY 29TH APRIL BIG BASH... LESS CASH! NOW IS OUR TURN TO GIVE BACK! At The Irish Village, The Big Weekend – in its 3rd consecutive year! - is packed with fun, good food, excellent music... And the best is that you get to pay less... The 2-day festival will have live music from 6 different bands. On Thursday entertainment starts at 6.00 p.m. while Friday the live music is on from 4.00 p.m. onwards. Entertainment and fun for the kids are on the programme too: supervised bouncy castle area and face painting. And the best is that over the 2 days, a wide selection of your favourite beverages is priced at AED 21 only per glass. Free entry. For more information, please call 04 2824122

It's not that cheap.

Autonomy Apr 25th 2011 11:56 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9324808)

The best brunch type deal including alcohol for maximum skintflintedness yet with surprisingly good food - is Dubliners. 75dhs for 3 drinks and a meal. 25dhs per pint & a free good meal if you look at it that way....

lionheart Apr 25th 2011 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9324880)
The best brunch type deal including alcohol for maximum skintflintedness yet with surprisingly good food - is Dubliners. 75dhs for 3 drinks and a meal. 25dhs per pint & a free good meal if you look at it that way....

Disagree. For 85dhs, Waxys provide a cooked Irish breakfast, five beverages and a roast dinner. Avoid the downstairs cesspit, but their upstairs lounge is the business.

Autonomy Apr 25th 2011 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9324894)
Disagree. For 85dhs, Waxys provide a cooked Irish breakfast, five beverages and a roast dinner. Avoid the downstairs cesspit, but their upstairs lounge is the business.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the delights of Waxy's.... I challenge you that the food quality at Dubliners is better... but hey - if you like Waxy's....

Norm_uk Apr 25th 2011 3:11 pm

GBP 3.40 for a pint in the "cheap" places in Dubai...the average pint cost in the UK is around GBP 2.80 (lots of variety depending on region of course).

N.

lionheart Apr 25th 2011 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9325218)
GBP 3.40 for a pint in the "cheap" places in Dubai...the average pint cost in the UK is around GBP 2.80 (lots of variety depending on region of course).N.

It's even less in Nairobi. What's your point, Norm? We all know that Dubai is a rip off.

co durham boy Apr 25th 2011 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9324949)
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the delights of Waxy's.... I challenge you that the food quality at Dubliners is better... but hey - if you like Waxy's....

Dubliners wins hands down , the foods great quality and it's a great hotel . Waxy's a cesspit , upstairs and down . . I'm not that desperate for a bargain in any case .

Another hole is Double Deckers , the grubs better than Waxy's but the women are fatter , i'v never seen so many fat birds in one place .

Autonomy Apr 25th 2011 6:58 pm

GBP 3.40 for a pint in the "cheap" places in Dubai...the average pint cost in the UK is around GBP 2.80 (lots of variety depending on region of course).

N.

*they make their own beer / lager in the UK*

Welivehere Apr 26th 2011 5:15 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9325237)
It's even less in Nairobi. What's your point, Norm? We all know that Dubai is a rip off.

But there are not that many places I would want to go to in Nairobi at night.... ;)

The Dean Apr 26th 2011 5:36 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9325528)
Dubliners wins hands down , the foods great quality and it's a great hotel . Waxy's a cesspit , upstairs and down . . I'm not that desperate for a bargain in any case .

Another hole is Double Deckers , the grubs better than Waxy's but the women are fatter , i'v never seen so many fat birds in one place .

Good Fellas still does it for me.......... although the full English all-you-can-eat plus 5 pints has gone from AED 59 to 99 in the last couple of years.

Norm_uk Apr 26th 2011 8:56 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9325237)

My point is that it's a rip off as you rightly stated. So where should we be going when we visit Nairobi?;)

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9325663)
*they make their own beer / lager in the UK*

Indeed...and we make some very fine Ales too which we don't export half as much as we probably could. Every beer drinker from different countries I know has good things to say about British Ales and Beers.

N.

Ethos83 Apr 26th 2011 9:11 am

Uh...generally after they browbeat us about why we serve it 'warm.'

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9326745)
My point is that it's a rip off as you rightly stated. So where should we be going when we visit Nairobi?;)

Indeed...and we make some very fine Ales too which we don't export half as much as we probably could. Every beer drinker from different countries I know has good things to say about British Ales and Beers.

N.

ctfc Apr 26th 2011 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9326745)

N.

Real ale is a fresh product and not suitable for exporting, lager can be pasteurised and still taste ok (though fresh unpasteurised lager is a completely different and extremely good drink)

Millhouse Apr 26th 2011 9:28 am

N.

Is it really that much off a rip off? 20% more?

From what I can see beer prices in AED have been pretty much unchanged since 2008. Sterling has devalued by more than 20% in the same period. So you could argue that there is your difference.

Anyway, it's not surprising that it's more expensive - there is nowhere nearby that makes it, it's essentially illegal and the customers (on salaries that are 30-50% higher than they would be in their home markets) can afford it. You would do the same. No one forces you to drink it.