Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Charity thing... Raising cash etc

Charity thing... Raising cash etc

Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Charity thing... Raising cash etc

Hi,

I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip in January 2014. It's a charity trip but also an adventure too! Its quite a well established annual event and details can be found at: http://www.theadventurists.com/the-a...s/rickshaw-run

Basically it involves driving from the NW border of India to the southern tip in a tuk tuk / rickshaw or whatever you wish to call them. There's a start and a finish line and that's it, no set route and you can make it whichever way you want with only time as the limiting factor. There's no back up, no check points, no support trucks just me and 1 or 2 of my mates battling through India and trying not to die in the process!

To enter we need to outlay approx 2K GBP each (flights, accom, renting and more than likely fixing the tuk tuk en route, food etc etc).

We will also be raising cash for charity. The minimum entry requirement is 1K but I see no need to stop there and I hope we can raise a lot more and I don't see why this can't be the case. Half of the charity cash goes to the official charity which is www.coolearth.org which is all to do with saving the rain forests and helping out of the way communities, schooling kids etc. The other half will go to a different charity (we haven't decided which yet).

As such, I was wondering does anyone:

A. Want to donate to the charity?
B. Have any suggestions for the second charity? I have a few as do my team mates but we could be swayed for a good cause. I'd prefer it not to be one of the big ones as they are already well known.
C. Want to sponsor the team - This could be in several ways but could include stickers on the tuk tuk or t-shirts for the team, stuff like that. These would be seen all around India.
D. Know anyone who would wish to sponsor us? Or have any contacts on who I could contact?
E. Have any suggestions for fund raising - I have several ideas but some inventive ones would be welcomed.

Basically I'm aware that it's not a pure charity event but also an adventure for myself and I'm not a fan of people saying they are raising cash for charity only for them to use the cash on there own expenses. That's proper wanky! As such, ALL charity donations will be that - 100% charity donations.

Some of the cash generated from sponsorship will go towards costs but the majority will also go towards charity.

Thanks
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:54 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Charity thing... Raising cash etc

Sponsored by Immodium? Good luck mate - get yourself a just giving page up - how long you reckon it will take you?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

My brother did this a few years ago. His biggest surprise was how many bits of a rickshaw can get nicked when you're not looking.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

So you want us to pay for your holiday ?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
So you want us to pay for your holiday ?
Where did it say that?

I'm pretty sure I asked if anyone wished to donate to the charity......

And if any companies wished to sponsor the trip then all good.

I in no asked if you would pay for my holiday, although if you're offering then that'd be much appreciated!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kix
Sponsored by Immodium? Good luck mate - get yourself a just giving page up - how long you reckon it will take you?
Probably! I didn't add immodium into my estimate, however, that may be a good idea! Think I may take a stock of super noodles just in case!

Originally Posted by csdf
My brother did this a few years ago. His biggest surprise was how many bits of a rickshaw can get nicked when you're not looking.
Noted! I'll make sure we put sufficient security measures in place.... I.e. nail everything down!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking for a charity, I'd like to pitch for one. One that is very close to my heart is http://www.muscular-dystrophy.org/ Muscular Dystrophy affects approx 70,000 people in the Uk alone, predominantly males but in rare cases women. There are over 43 different strains of the disease and most sufferers don't see their 20's. Muscular dystrophy is an illness that wastes the muscles in the body, slowly the body just stops working. Whilst a lot of people have kind of heard of it they don't know much about it, there is currently no cure or treatment. There have been strong steps forward in the research but they haven't quite broken through and need continued support. The support the charity offers for suffers and their families is invaluable.

I would love it if you would consider raising money for this charity but appreciate there are literally thousands of needy charities.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kittycat1
If you're looking for a charity, I'd like to pitch for one. One that is very close to my heart is http://www.muscular-dystrophy.org/
I'll put it down as one of the options and let you know once a decision has been made!
Old Aug 1st 2013, 6:03 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it.

You should set up one of those webpage things where people can donate online, makes managing it a bit easier.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Good luck with it.

You should set up one of those webpage things where people can donate online, makes managing it a bit easier.
Thanks. I have a feeling it's going to be EPIC! We are up to 5 folk now so 2 tuk tuks!

Will set one up when we have decided on a charity.