British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Change- grrrrrrrr (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/change-grrrrrrrr-781032/)

kittycat1 Dec 18th 2012 5:28 pm

Change- grrrrrrrr

Ok this has always bothered me a bit but I just got really pissed off with the dude in Carrefour so having a rant. Paying for a bit of shopping and I only have a 500 aed note- shopping was 150 aed. So the guy asks if I have a smaller note, I said no and he rolled his eyes and muttered something at me. He very nearly got a complete mouthful as I am really not in the mood. What is it with this obsession with demanding smaller notes and getting stroppy when you don't have any- is it me or this really crap service?

Am I the only one that gets pissed off at the constant request for smaller notes? If cash points paid out 10s and 20s I could understand it but the only way you get smaller notes is by someone giving you change- it really does get right on my tits!

rant over

Spugsy Dec 18th 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Change- grrrrrrrr

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10440298)
Ok this has always bothered me a bit but I just got really pissed off with the dude in Carrefour so having a rant. Paying for a bit of shopping and I only have a 500 aed note- shopping was 150 aed. So the guy asks if I have a smaller note, I said no and he rolled his eyes and muttered something at me. He very nearly got a complete mouthful as I am really not in the mood. What is it with this obsession with demanding smaller notes and getting stroppy when you don't have any- is it me or this really crap service?

Am I the only one that gets pissed off at the constant request for smaller notes? If cash points paid out 10s and 20s I could understand it but the only way you get smaller notes is by someone giving you change- it really does get right on my tits!

rant over

Happens to me a lot, I just tell them this is what I have and to go and get change - its their job to have it.

OleJanx Dec 18th 2012 5:40 pm

Exactly! You are holding legal currency. If they have a problem, then it is their problem. If in doubt ask to speak to the manager and enquire why he has difficulty accepting legal tender.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 18th 2012 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10440328)
Exactly! You are holding legal currency. If they have a problem, then it is their problem. If in doubt ask to speak to the manager and enquire why he has difficulty accepting legal tender.

Then point out that by the time you've finished your sentence...you could have been given the change.

Victor Meldrew Dec 19th 2012 12:09 am

Ditto agreed - happens all the time.

Similar in taxis. I got in one the other day and asked to go to the Murooj which is a 5 minute drive, but a 20 minute walk. The taxi driver looked down at his feet, started shaking his head and smirking to himself. He obviously expected a longer journey, maybe to Abu Dhabi!

I said 'Is there a problem? would you rather I walked?' and then pointed out that we all have good and bad points in our working day, but it dosn't justify being rude to customers or work colleagues.

Needless to say he didn't get a tip.

I often have had taxi drivers refuse to take a customer because, for whatever reason, where you want to go doesn't fit in with their plans or mindset. I just get in and say 'drive' then tell them where to go.

(sorry to hi-jack/deviate from your OP)

mikewot Dec 19th 2012 3:05 am

From the title of the thread I thought you were going to tell us about the hot flushes you've been experiencing etc. ;)

What hacks me off is when you go to the ATM and get 500 out but it gives you a 500 note!

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 19th 2012 3:30 am

I sometimes get the annoyance at handing 500 for something that's 35. You're paying with an 80ish quid note for something that's not quite 6 quid.

BUT...it takes so long to almost prove that you've got no change, nothing smaller and no way of helping that you'd be out the shop if they just gave you it.

But yeah, the attitude sometimes stinks, espcially when you (as I normally do) say "I'm really sorry, I've got nothing smaller"....which then leaves it open for you to get annoyed when you repeat yourself.

Cypselos Dec 19th 2012 3:59 am

You have coins sir?

No but i can see you've got about 200 worth in the damn till you just opened.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 19th 2012 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 10441053)
You have coins sir?

No but i can see you've got about 200 worth in the damn till you just opened.

:rofl::rofl:

Welivehere Dec 19th 2012 4:35 am

I do sometimes feel for the smaller store till staff where the lack of trust means they are only given a tiny float but for a large store; no excuses.

And I can undertand cab drivers may struggle to change a 500 or a 1000 but they should never be in a position where the cannot break a 100

Recently stores have also started to ask for me to pay with a card if they dont have change. "No, I am not going to put 14AED on visa just because you cannot change a 100AED"...

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 19th 2012 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 10441095)
I do sometimes feel for the smaller store till staff where the lack of trust means they are only given a tiny float but for a large store; no excuses.

And I can undertand cab drivers may struggle to change a 500 or a 1000 but they should never be in a position where the cannot break a 100

Recently stores have also started to ask for me to pay with a card if they dont have change. "No, I am not going to put 14AED on visa just because you cannot change a 100AED"...

I think I asked a cabbie once and then someone else who agreed that they don't have to take anything above 200 (unless of course it's a massive fare).

May not be true but sort of seems reasonable to me.

Cypselos Dec 19th 2012 4:48 am

I think it's more reasonable for cabbies to want small notes, it's only going to take a couple of short journeys with passengers paying with 100s to strip them of any float they bring out. But shops, certainly the likes of Spinney's have no excuse.

What does annoy me is the people who take the change when the guys have to fish it out the tip jar at the coffee stand because they've not been given enough.

mentalist Dec 19th 2012 6:02 am

I always use my credit card when spending over Dhs100 unless its at the corner shop.

OriginalSunshine Dec 19th 2012 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 10441095)

why not?

Ash786 Dec 19th 2012 7:13 am

On a slightly different subject, it annoys me when shops, taxis etc won't accpet notes that are slightly tatty. I can understand if the note is nearing confetti stage, but if it only has one of two creases in it, some vendors still complain. I bought a pizza and when I handed over the 20 riyal (in saudi) note which was only slightly manky, the guy looked at me as though I'd just shot his mother. He asked me if I had a better quality note; I asked if he knew anywhere else I could get pizza