The change in Dubai

Old May 8th 2011, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The change in Dubai

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
The exact subject of Mr Kitty's and my latest "discussion"!

Not filling up fast enough with cash...
I think the problem is your use of Microsoft Money. You should be using Quicken.
Old May 8th 2011, 5:26 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think the problem is your use of Microsoft Money. You should be using Quicken.
Wow - that's a pretty hot feature then, if it can do that!
Old May 8th 2011, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ctfc
Fair point - you need to decide what 'full' means up front. We have.

I think it was also mentioned on the other thread however that whilst the s**t buckets seem to be well made, the money ones all seem to leak rather badly here
The trouble is you get used to your shit bucket being full to the brim and that becomes the norm . Your tolerance levels increase and what you wouldn't except a year ago now becomes the norm. It's the boiling frog syndrome , things get harder , more expensive and less enjoyable and you just get on with it because that's what we do.

I have been here on and off for quite a few years and the main thing i find is you slowly become tired and weary of the bullshit and the pretence . We all take the best out of it and leave the crap at the door but this is a place where we as expats are just the hired hands .
You will never be thanked or have official gratitude of any substance bestowed on you. Our hosts in this region in my opinion are some of the rudest , obnoxious , ignorant and arrogant people on the planet and that's an opinion formed over a lot of years in a lot of Gulf countries , of course they are exceptions to the rule but i have never found that many .

Sometimes i wonder why i still put myself through it everyday , moaning about the same bullshit to people and telling the each other the same problematic stories over a few beers at the end of the week .
Old May 8th 2011, 6:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy
The trouble is you get used to your shit bucket being full to the brim and that becomes the norm . Your tolerance levels increase and what you wouldn't except a year ago now becomes the norm. It's the boiling frog syndrome , things get harder , more expensive and less enjoyable and you just get on with it because that's what we do.

I have been here on and off for quite a few years and the main thing i find is you slowly become tired and weary of the bullshit and the pretence . We all take the best out of it and leave the crap at the door but this is a place where we as expats are just the hired hands .
You will never be thanked or have official gratitude of any substance bestowed on you. Our hosts in this region in my opinion are some of the rudest , obnoxious , ignorant and arrogant people on the planet and that's an opinion formed over a lot of years in a lot of Gulf countries , of course they are exceptions to the rule but i have never found that many .

Sometimes i wonder why i still put myself through it everyday , moaning about the same bullshit to people and telling the each other the same problematic stories over a few beers at the end of the week .
Because it's our inner enjoyment to moan and believe everyone else is crap. Part of being British, and crucial when overseas.

I hate the locals, the arrogance you mention is unbelievable. Walking through a mall yesterday I was faced with 5 or 6 local lads my age walking towards me. If I hadn't moved out the way I'd have been walked into and no doubt blamed - they know they will win any battle so why bother conceding anything ever?

They're a bunch of tosspots, but I will always move out their way in the above situation because I will do my best to remember I'm in their country and should respect it, but also, because it's not worth the potential aggro.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:42 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Dubai for seven years and saw a lot of changes which I now think were not all for the best. Dubai used to have more to offer in terms of community among the expats, and even though there were fewer towers it was a lot more down to earth.

I think one of the reasons I went to Abu Dhabi was because most people I meet there don't care what job I have, where I live or what car I drive...there are idiots everywhere of course but I find it more tolerable since I left.

The international press has been watching the UAE, and Dubai in particular more and more so we are hearing a lot more the negatives for certain which can and do skew perceptions. For all my moaning and complaining the biggest issues for me are the weather, the people who can't seem to walk past you without staring like your nose is gushing blood and the driving.

I've given myself another three years - I want to study some more and get over-qualified then I'll look at my options. Also I want to start a family again and I want to do it somewhere without calls for prayer, censorship of kissing and an abundance of people wearing sackcloth who think they are "modest" (so that rules out Luton then )

N.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy

perfect synopsis - at 1am on Saturday morning everything was fine with the world thanks to hoegaarden, 10.45 Sunday and I'm already knee deep in utter fuckwits
Old May 8th 2011, 6:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Sandboy
perfect synopsis - at 1am on Saturday morning everything was fine with the world thanks to hoegaarden, 10.45 Sunday and I'm already knee deep in utter fuckwits
Just had to make up a story as to why I burst out laughing in the office.

****wits doesn't cover it soemtimes.
Old May 8th 2011, 7:13 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Because it's our inner enjoyment to moan and believe everyone else is crap. Part of being British, and crucial when overseas.

I hate the locals, the arrogance you mention is unbelievable. Walking through a mall yesterday I was faced with 5 or 6 local lads my age walking towards me. If I hadn't moved out the way I'd have been walked into and no doubt blamed - they know they will win any battle so why bother conceding anything ever?

They're a bunch of tosspots, but I will always move out their way in the above situation because I will do my best to remember I'm in their country and should respect it, but also, because it's not worth the potential aggro.
where as teenagers in the UK are all very well behaved and will never make you feel uncomfortable...

you've only been here a few weeks and already you 'hate the locals'...how does that happen....I've been here 6,5 years, and yes, there are wankers around of course, but of every nationality surely...the other day I totally accidentally brushed the bag of a lovely British woman while trying to push my trolley past her in a narrow bit at the veg and fruit at Spinneys and she went completely mad at me, up to the point where she went and brought her husband over to me, lol...and I am not making this up! I honestly have never had a bad run in with a local, and it's not like I am not dealing with them or that I never go outside, neither do I think I walk around with rose coloured glasses. I just go about my business, just as I would anywhere else.

yes, it's not all glitter and glamour here, if people come here thinking it is, they get disappointed....you will face problems here, just like anywhere else in the world, maybe/probably they will be a different kind of problems, but still....there is no paradise as far as I am concerned.

Not saying it doesn't concern me when locals use their power to get their way, cause it does, also cause I have teenage kids here, and I keep my fingers crossed that they stay out of trouble...
Old May 8th 2011, 7:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MataHari
where as teenagers in the UK are all very well behaved and will never make you feel uncomfortable...

you've only been here a few weeks and already you 'hate the locals'...how does that happen....I've been here 6,5 years, and yes, there are wankers around of course, but of every nationality surely...the other day I totally accidentally brushed the bag of a lovely British woman while trying to push my trolley past her in a narrow bit at the veg and fruit at Spinneys and she went completely mad at me, up to the point where she went and brought her husband over to me, lol...and I am not making this up! I honestly have never had a bad run in with a local, and it's not like I am not dealing with them or that I never go outside, neither do I think I walk around with rose coloured glasses. I just go about my business, just as I would anywhere else.

yes, it's not all glitter and glamour here, if people come here thinking it is, they get disappointed....you will face problems here, just like anywhere else in the world, maybe/probably they will be a different kind of problems, but still....there is no paradise as far as I am concerned.

Not saying it doesn't concern me when locals use their power to get their way, cause it does, also cause I have teenage kids here, and I keep my fingers crossed that they stay out of trouble...
Fair comment, hate is a strong word. Perhaps I'm not used to having to be subservient to locals. It's difficult to articulate; I want to show respect and be conscious of the fact I'm living in someone else's country, but I find it hard to show respect to a nation that so far seem to be quite arrogant and know that if they want to kick up a fuss, they can make your life miserable. That sort of power seems to make the majority walk around with proverbial big swinging dicks.

Don't get me wrong, the American kids in Costa yesterday were vile, and so many mid 20's/30's Westerners are knobheads, but they are the same you get in the UK. Thick as thieves.

My frustration is that I'm trying to be polite / respectful to everyone, regardless of nationality or whatever, but you don't get seem to get the same back from a local.

Teenagers in the UK are mixed like anywhere, the bad are bad and the good are good.
Old May 8th 2011, 7:24 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

you know, it's almost like there must be something wrong with you if you are having an ok time here in Dubai, you must either be a rich spoiled housewife, or be really thick or a loser who couldn't make it back home and therefore reinvented themselves here...
I know a lot of perfectly normal people/families, that live fairly normal lives here, the men go to work, the kids go to school and the wifes either work or don't (is that really relevant), they come home, have dinner, watch a bit of telly, spend an hour on the computer, go to the gym whatever and go to bed...in the weekend they will do a bit of shopping, have a bbq with friends, go to the beach, go to the movies etc...nothing weird or wacky, but they enjoy their lives, the fact that they don't have to wash their cars, that they can afford a maid, that they can afford a nicer car than they would have back home etc...really can't see a problem with it all.
Old May 8th 2011, 7:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MataHari
you know, it's almost like there must be something wrong with you if you are having an ok time here in Dubai, you must either be a rich spoiled housewife, or be really thick or a loser who couldn't make it back home and therefore reinvented themselves here...
I know a lot of perfectly normal people/families, that live fairly normal lives here, the men go to work, the kids go to school and the wifes either work or don't (is that really relevant), they come home, have dinner, watch a bit of telly, spend an hour on the computer, go to the gym whatever and go to bed...in the weekend they will do a bit of shopping, have a bbq with friends, go to the beach, go to the movies etc...nothing weird or wacky, but they enjoy their lives, the fact that they don't have to wash their cars, that they can afford a maid, that they can afford a nicer car than they would have back home etc...really can't see a problem with it all.
So I fall into the really thick / loser who couldn't make it back home?

In fact, what you posted doesn't make sense...what you described constitutes an 'OK time' doesn't it?

I'm trying to work out if you are calling me a twat or just having a rant.
Old May 8th 2011, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I'm not used to having to be subservient to locals.
How many have you actually dealt with? I don't have too many issues with them - I'm quite happy to drink sweet tea for 40minutes and chat about nonsense before starting a meeting.

OK, some are idiots but that's the case with all nationalities. I foolishly got stuck once without water and food on a hot day and mini needed both. I walked up to some locals and asked for help. I got it.
Old May 8th 2011, 7:46 am
hmmmm...nice

In fact, what you posted doesn't make sense...what you described constitutes an 'OK time' doesn't it?

no...this is not directed at you...hence I didn't quote your post.

it's what seems to me to be the way the people that don't like it here categorise the people that do like it here in...

read it again...I am saying that I know lots of people here that do have an ok time...and I am one of them and I don't really like to feel like I am stupid/spoiled/thick etc because of that...
Old May 8th 2011, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If Mata wants to call you a twat she wouldn't hold back...
Old May 8th 2011, 7:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
How many have you actually dealt with? I don't have too many issues with them - I'm quite happy to drink sweet tea for 40minutes and chat about nonsense before starting a meeting.

OK, some are idiots but that's the case with all nationalities. I foolishly got stuck once without water and food on a hot day and mini needed both. I walked up to some locals and asked for help. I got it.
very few so far, so limited base for an opinion. I just get fudged off with it in everyday life in the malls / restaurants / hotels. Don't get me wrong; I'll live and I am sure there are plenty who are quality and i'd be happy to change that general opinion, just seems like the general trait is arrogance...

Either way, still so new to this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.