British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Champions League (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/champions-league-715676/)

nottmbantam May 4th 2011 3:31 pm

Champions League

Ok, so The Fat Lady hasn't sung, but it looks like ManYoo vs Barca in the final.

After watching Barca on the telly vs Real over two legs, they really are a quality side. Man U in my opinion haven't looked like a 'clinical' team since Ronaldo left, and even if they played the best they've played all season, just can't see them beating the Barca.

Yes, it is a one off, but I would imagine the Red Devils being under dogs for this one. Anyone see it differently?

Unless Shalke play very well tonight.....

The Dean May 4th 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Champions League

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 9342931)
Ok, so The Fat Lady hasn't sung, but it looks like ManYoo vs Barca in the final.

After watching Barca on the telly vs Real over two legs, they really are a quality side. Man U in my opinion haven't looked like a 'clinical' team since Ronaldo left, and even if they played the best they've played all season, just can't see them beating the Barca.

Yes, it is a one off, but I would imagine the Red Devils being under dogs for this one. Anyone see it differently?

Unless Shalke play very well tonight.....

If MU do win the final, it wil surely make Ferguson the finest manger this country has ever seen...... not just because they will have beaten top quality opposition, but because they will have done so with a far from vintage team.

Scholes and Giggs still have their moments, but both have seen better days. And which of the current lot would have got into the team in the Neville-Neville-Butt-Keane-Beckham-Solksjaer-van Nistelrooy era (which of course also included Scholes and Giggs)?

Still the final is at Wembley, and even a limited player like Fletcher will still be able to do some sort of holding job on Messi (perhaps literally). I've learned never to write off Manchester United, partly because (particularly in Europe) they have acquired the knack of winning when they haven't been playing well. Not a bad quality to have.

co durham boy May 4th 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9343067)
If MU do win the final, it wil surely make Ferguson the finest manger this country has ever seen...... not just because they will have beaten top quality opposition, but because they will have done so with a far from vintage team.

Scholes and Giggs still have their moments, but both have seen better days. And which of the current lot would have got into the team in the Neville-Neville-Butt-Keane-Beckham-Solksjaer-van Nistelrooy era (which of course also included Scholes and Giggs)?

Still the final is at Wembley, and even a limited player like Fletcher will still be able to do some sort of holding job on Messi (perhaps literally). I've learned never to write off Manchester United, partly because (particularly in Europe) they have acquired the knack of winning when they haven't been playing well. Not a bad quality to have.

I reckon Vidic , Ferdinand , Rooney and Evra would walk into the side without any trouble

The Dean May 4th 2011 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9343184)
I reckon Vidic , Ferdinand , Rooney and Evra would walk into the side without any trouble

Evra???? I'd rather have Denis Irwin. The others - yes - so that makes about eleven then............. but leave O'Shea behind please..........

co durham boy May 5th 2011 4:04 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9343301)
Evra???? I'd rather have Denis Irwin. The others - yes - so that makes about eleven then............. but leave O'Shea behind please..........

Ha , yeah i will as well as Anderson and Bebe.....

Welivehere May 5th 2011 5:09 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9343067)
Neville-Neville-Butt-Keane-Beckham-Solksjaer-van Nistelrooy era (which of course also included Scholes and Giggs)?

Not fogetting a Mr Cantona and Schmeichel

I also enjoyed the previous seasons with York and Cole, and then going back further to the days of Pally, Bruce, Sparky, and Robson.... There have been some cracking MU squads....

co durham boy May 5th 2011 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 9344281)
Not fogetting a Mr Cantona and Schmeichel

I also enjoyed the previous seasons with York and Cole, and then going back further to the days of Pally, Bruce, Sparky, and Robson.... There have been some cracking MU squads....

Let's not forget Kleberson , Djemba Djemba and Veron.....

Inselaffen May 5th 2011 8:21 am

Messi does sometimes disappear in big games
Lets hope that happens for the final and that we get a ref who doesn't allow Barcelona to get away with their theatrics.

its going to be tough though!

co durham boy May 5th 2011 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 9344486)
Messi does sometimes disappear in big games
Lets hope that happens for the final and that we get a ref who doesn't allow Barcelona to get away with their theatrics.

its going to be tough though!

You sound like Mouriniho , they're no different than any other European side , it's part of footballs make up at the very highest level.

"Fail to prepare , prepare to fail" as Keano once said.....

flares May 5th 2011 8:51 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9344495)
they're no different than any other European side....

but they are

they play a completely different game. The way to beat them is to play a quick direct game and not let them settle as Estudiantes did in Abu Dhabi for the first fifteen minutes and went 1 up. But after that they hardly got a touch of the ball and ended up losing.

Actually the 09 final was similar. Ronaldo could have had a couple for United in frist 10 mins only for them to be totally outplayed for the last 80.

co durham boy May 5th 2011 9:08 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 9344535)
but they are

they play a completely different game. The way to beat them is to play a quick direct game and not let them settle as Estudiantes did in Abu Dhabi for the first fifteen minutes and went 1 up. But after that they hardly got a touch of the ball and ended up losing.

Actually the 09 final was similar. Ronaldo could have had a couple for United in frist 10 mins only for them to be totally outplayed for the last 80.

Sorry i meant their theatrics , yes i agree they're very special indeed . You're right as well , you really need to play a direct counter attacking style of football with them . The trouble is that you are going to be doing a lot of chasing because they'll have the ball for the majority of the game.

You win the ball and make it count and when you have it don't give it away cheaply , not against them in any case or they'll murder you.

Scholes could be looking at another sending off if he dives in like Mark Spitz in the middle of the park , they're masters at mugging players off with that old chesnut.

Im going for a shock Man Utd win , ***** the purists , make your mark , stifle the game and quick counter attacks for the mugging of the century...!

nottmbantam May 5th 2011 11:29 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9344565)
Im going for a shock Man Utd win , ***** the purists , make your mark , stifle the game and quick counter attacks for the mugging of the century...!

I'd love to see it happen, MU did have the quality in previous squads to play devastating counter attacking football, just haven't produced it so far. Maybe being the under dog will spur them on a little...

Bahtatboy May 5th 2011 12:16 pm

And if Vidic plays he'll be sent off before half time. Might actually put money on that.

co durham boy May 5th 2011 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 9344786)
I'd love to see it happen, MU did have the quality in previous squads to play devastating counter attacking football, just haven't produced it so far. Maybe being the under dog will spur them on a little...

I honestly think picking the right side will make the difference , Rooney will have to roam behind Hernandez and when the break they'll split off each other .

The trick is to drag Puyol away , make him indecsive about staying or going then have one coming deep from midfield , Giggs or Scholes .

Barcelona are a fantastic team but they can be beaten , the one thing that they don't like is players getting in behind them . Alves and Co will stay in the top half of the field as they're basically doubling up as wingers , you must exploit that when you get the ball....well if you get the ball that is .

If they get the tempo and rythym going with Iniesta and Xavi you've got to hope and pray that Vidic and Ferdinand stand up strong because it could be a long night in North London.

nottmbantam May 5th 2011 9:11 pm

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l2...m/cpljones.jpg

"They don't like up 'em, Mr Mainwaring....."