British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Chainsaws in dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/chainsaws-dubai-837950/)

Tockalosh Jul 4th 2014 11:14 am

Chainsaws in dubai

The Damas trees in my garden have finally got on my tits and need to go. I can also use the wood for my fire pit and when camping.
Just on the off chance, has anyone seen any for sale anywhere other than ace whilst on their recent trawls around Dubai ?

mentalist Jul 4th 2014 11:18 am

Re: Chainsaws in dubai

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11324830)
The Damas trees in my garden have finally got on my tits and need to go. I can also use the wood for my fire pit and when camping.

Any civilized person in Dubai who cannot live without a tree needs to be deported immediately. Trees should be neatly and sympathetically trimmed to preserve their eco culture, never chopped down. Shame on you, especially if you are genuinely British

Ditzy Jul 4th 2014 11:28 am

Tockalosh, a chainsaw won't cut it unfortunately. The damage Damas trees do is really widespread underground. If they are large trees the roots are probably under your house already. :( You need to get a professional company in to get rid of them and make sure they actually kill the roots - you will probably find notices in your local supermarket of companies offering to get rid of them. Unfortunately it's quite expensive, expect to pay 200-300 per tree though like anything you can negotiate.

Meow Jul 4th 2014 11:29 am

The Damas trees are systematically being taken down by the authorities as they are damaging to buildings. The trees are very thirsty and their roots are causing problems. I believe there is some sort of ban on them being planted too.

Try Speedex for a chainsaw.

Tockalosh Jul 4th 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks meow

Will give them a google

Regarding roots, stump killer is generally a better option and allows everything to rot away and subside a little back to where it began. Letting my local garden chappies at it to excavate great holes is not time or money well spent

And a damas tree is a pest, easy as that

mikewot Jul 4th 2014 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11324845)
I believe there is some sort of ban on them being planted too.

Yes the Devil Damas trees are banned from housing estates due to the water seeking roots which damage everything in their path in their quest for water.

Brains1983 Jul 5th 2014 6:02 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 11324833)
Any civilized person in Dubai who cannot live without a tree needs to be deported immediately. Trees should be neatly and sympathetically trimmed to preserve their eco culture, never chopped down. Shame on you, especially if you are genuinely British

:ohmy:

Tockalosh Jul 5th 2014 10:57 am

Quick thanks meow,

Speedex is awesome and a real boys playground. It's now replaced adventure HQ as weekend shop of choice.

And it's cheap

Meow Jul 5th 2014 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11325909)
Quick thanks meow,

Speedex is awesome and a real boys playground. It's now replaced adventure HQ as weekend shop of choice.

And it's cheap

It's way better than Ace and like any proper hardware shop it smells of cut wood. :cool:

Sandboy Jul 7th 2014 10:05 am

dragonmart of course - but if I can give you one tip don't combine it with a trip to barracuda

Tockalosh Jul 7th 2014 2:53 pm

I never managed to find what I wanted in dragon mart before I lost the will to live but it was last Ramadan when I was last there. That was for kids motorbikes

Plus bit of a majors addict when it comes to power tools

Nothing like Stella, a chainsaw, shorts and flip flops

Bahtatboy Jul 7th 2014 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11328253)
I never managed to find what I wanted in dragon mart before I lost the will to live but it was last Ramadan when I was last there. That was for kids motorbikes

I know Stella. Seriously, you wouldn't want her within 20 miles of a chainsaw. I felt queasy, thanks to Tom Sharpe, even when she had a cheesegrater in her hand.

OleJanx Jul 7th 2014 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11328286)
I know Stella. Seriously, you wouldn't want her within 20 miles of a chainsaw. I felt queasy, thanks to Tom Sharpe, even when she had a cheesegrater in her hand.

Ever since I read 'The Throwback' I have viewed cheese graters with the deepest suspicion....

Sandboy Jul 8th 2014 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11328253)

I'll give you 3.5 out of 4 - right country for the beer but it was Hoegaarden*. I was very very lucky to get away with 3 stitches in a finger looking back

*I may have omitted this bit on the insurance claim

Bahtatboy Jul 8th 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 11329269)
...Hoegaarden...

That would also explain Stella's presence.