British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Centaurus? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/centaurus-809054/)

Bongoman2 Sep 12th 2013 12:46 pm

Centaurus?

Anybody used them for delivery? reliable/cheap?
Or is it cheaper to take a drive to Umm Al Quwain?

TheShed Sep 12th 2013 1:03 pm

Re: Centaurus?

I have used them many times. All prices etc are on their website. Would'nt say they are cheaper but sometimes I just cant be arsed to drive all that way when I have better things to do.

Sandboy Sep 12th 2013 1:41 pm

used them when I couldn't be arsed to fight the week before ramadan one year, very good service

mikewot Sep 13th 2013 8:23 am

**** my old boots they're expensive!! Double Barracuda price for case of Heineken, 24 tins 50 cl.

Patsy Stoned Sep 13th 2013 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bongoman2 (Post 10897571)

Darling..just drive to Baraccuda... Centurus prices are just less the tax of the off licenses here, however here is an example...a nice prosecco at A&E 70dhs including 30%tax so... for a case (12 bottles) 840dhs..same thing from Centurus they just drop the tax and add delivery... so 600dhs a case.. Barracuda 35dhs a bottle.... a case...420dhs petrol costs nothing..I go every 6 weeks..leave my house at 7am on a Friday... get there at 8..out by 9, with a little "chicken swerve" into The Finer Things"..a great delicatessen with lovely cheeses...home by 10...done dea!!:D

The Dean Sep 13th 2013 6:13 pm

Coincidence - never heard of them until I went to a sporting brunch jobby today, and a couple of people were talking about the place. Nobody said they were particularly expensive though.

Questions:

1 - is there a delivery charge or is it built into the prices?
2 - do you need an alcohol licence (I assume so)?

Spugsy Sep 14th 2013 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Bongoman2 (Post 10897571)

I had a delivery about 3 weeks back - got everyone together and ordered AED 2.5k's worth.

They're not cheap anymore at all and for all that cahs spent I got a shitty crate of beers that I'd never heard of.

Also AED 100 delivery charge.

Spugsy Sep 14th 2013 7:48 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10899684)
Coincidence - never heard of them until I went to a sporting brunch jobby today, and a couple of people were talking about the place. Nobody said they were particularly expensive though.

Questions:

1 - is there a delivery charge or is it built into the prices?
2 - do you need an alcohol licence (I assume so)?

You don't need a booze licence no. Some guy turns up with 10 black bin liners full of your booze and brings them in.

Have I lived here too long that I was a little pissed off to have to help him carry all my booze in??

Blue Cat Sep 14th 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 10900263)
You don't need a booze licence no. Some guy turns up with 10 black bin liners full of your booze and brings them in.

Have I lived here too long that I was a little pissed off to have to help him carry all my booze in??

yes

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 15th 2013 4:59 am

Have I lived here too long that I was a little pissed off to have to help him carry all my booze in?
?

No. He's getting 100 dizzers.

Bongoman2 Sep 15th 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for all the opinions. Decided to drive up to Barracuda after checking out the prices. Left home at 8am, out around the 611 and was there in 45mins.

Def cheaper at Barracuda.

Bongoman2 Sep 15th 2013 11:36 am

I've seen that attitude from people who have been here for 5 minutes.