British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Caveat emptor x 2? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/caveat-emptor-x-2-a-802367/)

Meow Jul 9th 2013 12:08 pm

Caveat emptor x 2?

It has just been announced that 'the sales company who cannot be named', partly as it just comes up as PIC ****** has bought out Acuma.

This article has been publshed by International Adviser:

The world’s largest independent financial advisory company, ******, has acquired Acuma, a successful wealth manager headquartered in Dubai, International Adviser can exclusively reveal.

****** said its founder and chief executive, Nigel Green, was “presented as Acuma’s new owner to the firm’s 50-strong team” at Acuma’s Dubai office this morning, following the completion of the deal on Friday.

Green said: “I’m thrilled to announce the acquisition of Acuma, one of the Gulf region’s most highly respected advisory companies.

“We’re enthused by the prospect of building on Acuma’s world-class reputation and we’re looking forward to welcoming the company’s talented wealth professionals and support team to the ****** Group family. We’re fully committed to investing our time and resources so that they can do even more of what they do best - helping clients achieve their long-term financial objectives.”

Does this work? d e V e r e ? Note that they are sales people and not advisers as all those ghastly 25 years savings plans with no regard for suitability demonstrate.

flares Jul 9th 2013 12:23 pm

Re: Caveat emptor x 2?

are there any good ones?

Meow Jul 9th 2013 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10791190)
are there any good ones?

Yes, me. ;)

The lack of regulation and compliance here is a major issue, as is the emphasis on selling rather than advising. Few 'advisers' have much depth of knowledge and so mis-sell.

The lack of qualifications is also a concern. There is a requirement coming in for a 'wealth management' exam and the book states that it requires something like 130 hours of study. I read it the day before and breezed the exam, taking a whole 20 minutes to complete it out of the two hours allowed, so that demonstrates that it isn't exactly technical.

People need to check out who they are dealing with. Check their background, experience, qualifications etc before handing over their money.

Article has been updated.

http://www.international-adviser.com...ory-firm-acuma

Brains1983 Jul 9th 2013 1:06 pm

Acuma handle my limited finance requirements, providing its the same person handling it I'm not too bothered about the purchase.

shiva Jul 9th 2013 2:12 pm

Question for meow do all your firms staff have qualifications or do they also employ **** nuggets. I know you and norm have solid reputations but was wondering about recommending the firm as a whole

Meow Jul 9th 2013 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10791348)
Question for meow do all your firms staff have qualifications or do they also employ **** nuggets. I know you and norm have solid reputations but was wondering about recommending the firm as a whole

Well don't recommend anyone else apart from me!

Seriously; company policy is to only employ people who are qualified to at least home country minimum. Whilst not that much, it's better than elsewhere.

Kix Jul 10th 2013 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10791169)
It has just been announced that 'the sales company who cannot be named', partly as it just comes up as PIC ****** has bought out Acuma.

This article has been publshed by International Adviser:

The world’s largest independent financial advisory company, ******, has acquired Acuma, a successful wealth manager headquartered in Dubai, International Adviser can exclusively reveal.

****** said its founder and chief executive, Nigel Green, was “presented as Acuma’s new owner to the firm’s 50-strong team” at Acuma’s Dubai office this morning, following the completion of the deal on Friday.

Green said: “I’m thrilled to announce the acquisition of Acuma, one of the Gulf region’s most highly respected advisory companies.

“We’re enthused by the prospect of building on Acuma’s world-class reputation and we’re looking forward to welcoming the company’s talented wealth professionals and support team to the ****** Group family. We’re fully committed to investing our time and resources so that they can do even more of what they do best - helping clients achieve their long-term financial objectives.”

Does this work? d e V e r e ? Note that they are sales people and not advisers as all those ghastly 25 years savings plans with no regard for suitability demonstrate.

New Link (yours doesn't work)

Why can't you say ****** on here?

Meow Jul 10th 2013 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10792306)
New Link (yours doesn't work)

Why can't you say ****** on here?

Because they are very litigious. Any negative comment results in lawyers letters being issued.

shiva Jul 10th 2013 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10792335)
Because they are very litigious. Any negative comment results in lawyers letters being issued.

nothing speaks so loudly as a fear of online criticism

Meow Jul 10th 2013 6:04 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10792338)
nothing speaks so loudly as a fear of online criticism

I have a whole bunch of links that someone sent me. Quite entertaining really. Their top guy also went on YouTube recently to refute the comments, which is shows some chutzpah.