British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Cats and leather sofas.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cats-leather-sofas-703240/)

Autonomy Feb 1st 2011 8:37 am

Cats and leather sofas....

Moving house and as the cats have torn lumps out of the old fabric sofa I need to get a new one.

They have not touched a leather stool type thing we have...

My question - we've never had a leather sofa - are the cats less likely to scratch this as it's leather? The sofa's not cheap and it'll do my head in if they tear this one up as well!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Spugsy Feb 1st 2011 8:40 am

Re: Cats and leather sofas....

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9143460)
Moving house and as the cats have torn lumps out of the old fabric sofa I need to get a new one.

My question - we've never had a leather sofa - are the cats less likely to scratch this as it's leather? The sofa's not cheap and it'll do my head in if they tear this one up as well!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

We've got distressed leather which works a treat.

Also we have one of those things that you put your feet on in the car, and the cat scratches that instead - works a treat.

Blue Cat Feb 1st 2011 8:56 am

only kittens head to the leather in my experience, the other ones aren't remotely interested, we are thinking about a new sofa and will be getting leather again, they wrecked an old fabric one

Brains1983 Feb 1st 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9143460)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

our sofa is part suede part leather, and our adult cat never touched it, the bastard kitten though has done such a good job on it we could grate cheese on it. will be for the beach house when we move me thinks!

Bahtatboy Feb 1st 2011 9:48 am

Our cats never meddled with the leather sofa--they really like the scratching pole thingy. Made a real mess of the rattan-type linen box, though.

kittycat1 Feb 1st 2011 9:55 am

my evil (and I mean evil) cat has scratched the living daylights out of the leather sofa- she is however a very angry cat and tries to kill everything and everyone- shes about 3-4 years old so not a kitten just the devil reincarnated.

Autonomy Feb 1st 2011 10:00 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9143621)
my evil (and I mean evil) cat has scratched the living daylights out of the leather sofa- she is however a very angry cat and tries to kill everything and everyone- shes about 3-4 years old so not a kitten just the devil reincarnated.

that's what I am afraid of... what the hell - I need to sit on something... :fingerscrossed:

rowell Feb 2nd 2011 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9143621)

Think I might have her sister, never touched the scratch pole much prefers the bloody rug and my shorts!

JulesinDXB Feb 2nd 2011 4:18 pm

What is up with that? When I got a new scratch pole, the cats went mad for it, now it's a little worse for wear they're tearing up the sofa.

Autonomy Feb 2nd 2011 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 9147243)
Think I might have her sister, never touched the scratch pole much prefers the bloody rug and my shorts!

shorts and rug I can handle... stoopidly expensive sofa... no....

We have 5 of the little maniacats...

*bought the sofas*

*fingers crossed*

Trixie_b Feb 2nd 2011 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9147340)

*bought the sofas*

*fingers crossed*

get a water pistol to fire off at her if she does attempt to scratch at it.....

Alexa Feb 2nd 2011 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9147340)

*bought the sofas*

*fingers crossed*

Put something with lemon scent on it...they hate that smell. Stopped mine from scratching a tree to bits...(yes, I rubbed lemon on the tree).

shakh your bootie Feb 2nd 2011 6:14 pm

Use nail-clippers to trim off their claws?

Autonomy Feb 2nd 2011 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 9147474)
Use nail-clippers to trim off their claws?

*if I could get away with it*

have thought about the lemons - I had heard they hate citrus....

Blue Cat Feb 3rd 2011 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9147525)
*if I could get away with it*

have thought about the lemons - I had heard they hate citrus....

all five of mine have monthly pedicures, I kid you not! and the lemon works, dilute with water and wash down area. And as Jules says get a water spray :)