Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Cars that have Apple Carplay / Android Auto

Cars that have Apple Carplay / Android Auto

Old Sep 3rd 2018, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cars that have Apple Carplay / Android Auto

I don't know how many people use it, but I find having Android Auto or Apple Carplay in a car a massive benefit. My current car (old Pajero) doesn't have it but I hire cars for holidays several times a year and they nearly all do now - even the cheapo Vauxhalls and Citroens.

I don't know why many car manufacturers still insist on forcing their own sat nav into the car. It's always harder to use and more confusing than the Google Maps we all are used to. With cars that have Android Auto / Apple Carplay you use your own phone and it shows on the car's screen. So much easier, and surely lower cost for the manufacturer too.

Anyway - my question is about which cars come with it? It's hard to find info online. I want to replace my old Pajero with a newer car. Probably I'll go for a 4 year old Nissan Patrol or a nearly new Pajero. Or maybe a Pathfinder. Does anyone have a Pajero and know if it has Android Auto?
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cars that have Apple Carplay / Android Auto

The 2017 & 2018 Saudi spec Pajero's do not have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I am fairly sure (but not 100% certain) that the 2017 UAE spec Pajero doesn't either.

Last edited by FriendlyExpat; Sep 3rd 2018 at 2:49 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

And just because it has Apple car play doesn't mean all apps will work. I bought a new 2017 Merc GLA here and though Apple car play always worked Apple maps was not shown on the car play screen. Research showed this was standard for all Thailand spec Mercs. Last month it started appearing on the screen and works as expected. Note this is Apple maps not Google maps. I have never been able to get non Apple apps other than WhatsApp to show on the car pay screen. Nothing changed on the car, so far as I know so I assume it has to have been a phone update that changed this. But YMMV, even with car play you may get a mixed bag of apps just depending.

Just looking at the list of car play availability by country it shows that Apple maps are blocked also in Brazil, Chile, India, Saudi and UAE as well as Thailand. Thinking more what might have changed it could be that I recently switched my app store payments CC details etc and country info to UK.

Last edited by martinbkk; Sep 4th 2018 at 12:05 am.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

I had a 2018 Pathfinder, it didn't have it. Dodge Durangos and Jeep Cherokees have it.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:53 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Cars dont have it, their audio players do - its pretty trivial to plug one in with android - there are a few apple compatible devices but they cost more.

Key is ensuring the connections to the car are maximally efective - that cameras sensors etc all work, but there are professional fitters who can ensure this.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:56 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also interested in this thread as I'm looking for a new car and CarPlay is a must have for me.

The problem I'm finding is that X manufacturer website says its available and then you go to a UAE dealership and they have a special GCC spec which EXCLUDES it Typical UAE backward mentality.

Martin - I have two apple iTunes (1 UAE and 1 UK) and they both have quite different App sets and access to radio stations, TC services, music etc are very different. FWIW, I don't maintain any UK credit cards, so I set the UK account up without any payment info and send myself gift cards through Apple iTunes when I need credit for films or apps.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be happy to buy an aftermarket stereo and fit it. Personally I don't need Apple so any of the Android units would do. The problem is it seems really hard to find any information online on fitting it to a Pajero. I don't want to shell out a chunk of cash for a decent unit and then find it doesn't integrate with the reversing cam - or the bass bin doesn't work.

If only every new car just had Carplay / Android Auto out of the box.

BTW - It seems Australian pajeros have it now: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/pro...hi-pajero-gls/
Old Sep 4th 2018, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
I'd be happy to buy an aftermarket stereo and fit it. Personally I don't need Apple so any of the Android units would do. The problem is it seems really hard to find any information online on fitting it to a Pajero. I don't want to shell out a chunk of cash for a decent unit and then find it doesn't integrate with the reversing cam - or the bass bin doesn't work.

If only every new car just had Carplay / Android Auto out of the box.

BTW - It seems Australian pajeros have it now: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/pro...hi-pajero-gls/
Careful - at this rate the headunit might be nicer than the car

Yellowhat would be able to sort you out.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Cars dont have it, their audio players do - its pretty trivial to plug one in with android - there are a few apple compatible devices but they cost more.

Key is ensuring the connections to the car are maximally efective - that cameras sensors etc all work, but there are professional fitters who can ensure this.
That's kinda true. But trying to but an audio unit for a number of current motors without buying the rest of the car would be pretty difficult, they're pretty tightly integrated.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 8:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

My Explorer has it and I avoid it like the plague if using the navigation.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Me 2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

My car doesn’t have it but I’m not sure I miss it. All my music is on my iPhone X via Apple Music. I just play it on my phone while driving and it automatically plays over the car’s speakers via Bluetooth.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Me 2.0
My car doesn’t have it but I’m not sure I miss it. All my music is on my iPhone X via Apple Music. I just play it on my phone while driving and it automatically plays over the car’s speakers via Bluetooth.
Yeah, for playing music or using the phone you don't need it. Any car bluetooth connection is fine for that.

I never knew how much I'd value it until I started hiring cars more regularly. Each with their own sat nav system, each a pain to figure out in the stressy bit as you leave the rental place after a long flight, and none as good as Google Maps!
Old Sep 8th 2018, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, for playing music or using the phone you don't need it. Any car bluetooth connection is fine for that.

I never knew how much I'd value it until I started hiring cars more regularly. Each with their own sat nav system, each a pain to figure out in the stressy bit as you leave the rental place after a long flight, and none as good as Google Maps!
why not just stick the phone to the window? That’s what I do when in rentals
Old Sep 9th 2018, 5:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse

why not just stick the phone to the window? That’s what I do when in rentals
I could close my eyes and drive out of Avis to the M25 from Heathrow I reckon.

Apple car play work with google maps? Mine stops any maps from working (even the Ford sat nav) and forces you to Apple Maps which is....well, laughable.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
Apple car play work with google maps? Mine stops any maps from working (even the Ford sat nav) and forces you to Apple Maps which is....well, laughable.
No. Apple CarPlay doesnt work with Google Maps. I got sick of Apple's petty restrictions and switched to Android a few weeks ago. Best thing I've ever done. Android is light years ahead of Apple in every regard. I honestly can't think of a single thing I miss about my iphone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.