British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   be careful what you post on facebook during Ramadan!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/careful-what-you-post-facebook-during-ramadan-725580/)

Patsy Stoned Jul 20th 2011 5:30 am

be careful what you post on facebook during Ramadan!!

A British woman who expressed her hatred of Ramadan on Facebook and called her colleague a "dictator" and a follower of Osama bin Laden on the site, has been fined Dh3,000 by a Dubai Court.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...n-dh3-000-fine

co durham boy Jul 20th 2011 5:35 am

Re: be careful what you post on facebook during Ramadan!!

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9506178)
A British woman who expressed her hatred of Ramadan on Facebook and called her colleague a "dictator" and a follower of Osama bin Laden on the site, has been fined Dh3,000 by a Dubai Court.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...n-dh3-000-fine

She should be more careful with her friend requests and privacy settings.....

Meow Jul 20th 2011 5:40 am

Jeez, what sort of spiteful idiot goes to court over something like that? Funny how some are so touchy about their religion that they overreact to even suggestions of criticism. It still amazes me that people don't consider who they are FB 'friends' with or check their privacy settings.

norsk Jul 20th 2011 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9506187)
Jeez, what sort of spiteful idiot goes to court over something like that? Funny how some are so touchy about their religion that they overreact to even suggestions of criticism. It still amazes me that people don't consider who they are FB 'friends' with or check their privacy settings.

I have found that people are (contrary to what you would think) a lot happier and more friendly during Ramadan! At least in Saudi.

Last year most of my colleagues were very surprised that I fasted as well (easy dieting passed off as respect), and told me if I wanted to drink coffee at my desk this was no problem and would only give them a bigger challenge to stay strong and resist temptation...

To be honest Ramadan in Gulf countries must be a lot easier to handle than in the UK for example, and I vividly remember some of my normally quiet (muslim) colleagues being quite angry and confrontational during Ramadan. :D

Also the practice of banning people from eating/drinking in public is just stupid. The whole purpose of Ramadan is to encourage restraint and self control isn't it?

Meow Jul 20th 2011 6:03 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9506204)
I have found that people are (contrary to what you would think) a lot happier and more friendly during Ramadan! At least in Saudi.

Last year most of my colleagues were very surprised that I fasted as well (easy dieting passed off as respect), and told me if I wanted to drink coffee at my desk this was no problem and would only give them a bigger challenge to stay strong and resist temptation...

To be honest Ramadan in Gulf countries must be a lot easier to handle than in the UK for example, and I vividly remember some of my normally quiet (muslim) colleagues being quite angry and confrontational during Ramadan. :D

Also the practice of banning people from eating/drinking in public is just stupid. The whole purpose of Ramadan is to encourage restraint and self control isn't it?

The practice of banning people from eating and drinking in public rather defeats the object. My understanding is that fasting is supposed to be a test of faith, so removing all temptation makes it far less of a test.

I have worked with a few Muslims in the UK and my experience was that they never made a fuss. It was their choice to fast and they dd not expect others to go out of their way for them. Perhaps a far better test of faith under those circumstances?

paca Jul 20th 2011 6:06 am

ironic - "EG then called MJ stupid and ignorant"

so what did she think that posting on facebook and entering into a known 'no-no' argument was a smart idea?

paca Jul 20th 2011 6:19 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9506204)

I think the not drinking in this heat is dangerous. Are there stats on deaths?

I heard that certain places will be open and screened off for eating and drinking.

Meow Jul 20th 2011 7:25 am

Originally Posted by paca (Post 9506250)
I think the not drinking in this heat is dangerous. Are there stats on deaths?

I heard that certain places will be open and screened off for eating and drinking.

There are more and more places open every year, albeit screened off.

co durham boy Jul 20th 2011 8:20 am

I'm well into double figure Ramadan's and personally like them , less people on the roads , reduced working hours , less aggravation at work and a lot less all round bullsh*t .

What's not to like about that...

Meow Jul 20th 2011 8:23 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9506437)
I'm well into double figure Ramadan's and personally like them , less people on the roads , reduced working hours , less aggravation at work and a lot less all round bullsh*t .

The most annoying part for me is the shockingly bad and thoughtless driving, from around 3.00pm to Iftar in particular. People seem to be trying to kill me, yet I'm not allowed to have a cigarettes to calm my nerves. :rolleyes:

shiva Jul 20th 2011 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9506442)
The most annoying part for me is the shockingly bad and thoughtless driving, from around 3.00pm to Iftar in particular. People seem to be trying to kill me, yet I'm not allowed to have a cigarettes to calm my nerves. :rolleyes:

having fasted and driven i can safely say its the most dangerous thing ive ever done, you have virtually no sense of speed or distance. suicidal doesnt come close

co durham boy Jul 20th 2011 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9506442)

We don't have that problem here in Qatar , they try and kill you when it's not Ramadan , most Qatari's depart the country for 3 months so it's a very quiet time here.

3PM-to Iftar is wacky races in Dubai that's for sure ...

Boomhauer Jul 20th 2011 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9506218)
The practice of banning people from eating and drinking in public rather defeats the object. My understanding is that fasting is supposed to be a test of faith, so removing all temptation makes it far less of a test.

I have worked with a few Muslims in the UK and my experience was that they never made a fuss. It was their choice to fast and they dd not expect others to go out of their way for them. Perhaps a far better test of faith under those circumstances?

Well they shouldn't make a fuss , seeing as how the UK isn't a Muslim country and shouldn't become one inshallah:thumbsup:

paca Jul 20th 2011 9:26 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9506437)

The only thing I do that might be an inconvienience is drink water through the day....

Is there a ramadan hat or umbrella on sale that you can wear or put up to take a drink? Maybe they need to deploy portaloo style boxes about to allow a sneaky swig of water

Tockalosh Jul 21st 2011 7:49 am

Bahrain. half one to three in the afternoon = madness on the roads then all generally quiet.

Hope any Bh newbies are stocking up on their beer as no bars open during the whole of the month unlike the lucky people in the UAE notwithstanding the Dilly and Brit club of course but they do keep threatening to close them as well so best be on the safe side and stock up. Amstell on offer at BMMI for 13 bd a case if anyone likes it