Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

be careful what you post on facebook during Ramadan!!

be careful what you post on facebook during Ramadan!!

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: be careful what you post on facebook during Ramadan!!

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Damn, really? Just planned a visit in first week of August (necessity, not choice). Will have to make it a quick in and out.
Absolutely, a real pain in the ass for travellers during the month. I believe, if the story is to be believed, that the government compensates the fancy hotels for their loss of business during Ramadan because funny enough you dont see any Kuwaitis, Saudis or Qataris during the holy month.

Will wait and see if the Dilly and Brit clubs are allowed to open as usual or if the long standing threat to make them close as well will be enforced. I think now that Shias are not being appeased, all will be well.

Am glad to say that during the national dialogue to create group hugs and a new Bahrain, our shias demanded that booze be banned immediately, now there was a surprize. This was thrown out as it wouldnt reflect the desire to welcome all religions and nationalities. 3 cheers for common sense for everyone (bar the shias of course).
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 7:23 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I think you apartment complex would be rather full and rents would soar because the area would be seen as more desirable. Would be an interesting experiment though .
It would be interesting but to be fair going to another country and trying to set up separate laws is a declaration of war for all intents and purposes...law is the heart of a society and culture.

If we tried that on in the UAE they'd send in the troops very quickly. They barely tolerate other branches of Islam and jail their own people for asking for a little bit more democracy...

N.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:16 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Regarding your 2nd paragraph,
Standard answer from Emiratis = if you don't like it, go home.

'Course locals will say that as non citizens Westerners (or any other non local) have no right to expect anything, but ofcourse that boils down to how Arabs are loathe to hand out citizenship while Western countries are generally tolerant (relatively speaking) on granting citizenship.
It's odd that the locals can say if you don't like it go home and it's generally accepted. But when the locals in Europe say that they are intolerant racists.

You're quite right about Western nations being tolerant and giving out citizenship fairly easily. Tolerance it a tremendous virtue, but the immediate neighbors of tolerance are apathy and weakness. I think that's what we have today in the West - weakness and apathy. Before 1960 virtually every leader in the Muslim world wanted to make their country more like Britain, France and America. Today most Muslim leaders want to make Britain, France and America like their country.

N.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

I know about this first hand and in what must be a first - the Gulf News have reported it more accurately than the National. The basic facts are the same and it doesn't change the fact that the woman was pretty stupid mind but the initial post was just saying Ramadan is finally nearly over hooray (or v.similar) and it escalated from there.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/cr...3-000-1.841029
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:45 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen
I know about this first hand and in what must be a first - the Gulf News have reported it more accurately than the National. The basic facts are the same and it doesn't change the fact that the woman was pretty stupid mind but the initial post was just saying Ramadan is finally nearly over hooray (or v.similar) and it escalated from there.

why didn't she have her security settings set to only friends?
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:45 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Unfortunately and inevitably they have widened their scope considerably and are now hearing cases for abuse, divorce etc.
Cite please? Sharia courts in the UK have absolutely no ability to override criminal law, and can only be used if both parties agree of free will. I'd love to read about how an abuse case could be accepted.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:50 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

you know about it first hand? as in it was you?
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:53 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Cite please? Sharia courts in the UK have absolutely no ability to override criminal law, and can only be used if both parties agree of free will. I'd love to read about how an abuse case could be accepted.
as far as i am aware it is more like arbitration (in terms of legal power), but the parties choose to follow their rulings (despite not having to)...
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

Originally Posted by norsk
you know about it first hand? as in it was you?
No - I know the person though.

BC - this woman was one of her friends on facebook - an ex colleague who she'd never had any reason to delete. She did delete her when the row got nasty but it was obviously too late. Added to which some other facebook friends grassed her up on the comments she wrote after defriending the woman in question.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:10 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

No - I know the person though.

BC - this woman was one of her friends on facebook - an ex colleague who she'd never had any reason to delete. She did delete her when the row got nasty but it was obviously too late. Added to which some other facebook friends grassed her up on the comments she wrote after defriending the woman in question.
nice friends eh!!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Yep - you certainly find out who your real friends are when the chips are down!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:13 am
Concierge

Yep - you certainly find out who your real friends are when the chips are down!
I feel sorry for her, not a nice situation to be in and we all use FB and other SM platforms to rant
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:38 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
rather my point i think.
if i remember there were a few pieces in the times and other papers about a month ago.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:50 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
rather my point i think.
if i remember there were a few pieces in the times and other papers about a month ago.
Wasn't that entirely driven by the claims of Baroness Cox as she put her
equality bill to Parliament?

The problem was, nobody actually had convincing evidence to put forward about how widespread the things being claimed were. It's also interesting that, despite Judaism also having its sexist elements, nobody was complaining about Beth Din courts.

(That said, there's nothing in the bill itself I wouldn't want to see.)
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I don't have specifics stats . What I said was gleaned from living in the region (AD) and reading about the region.

Western nations will accept refugees but how many wealthy Arab nations accept non Arab refugees? They don't even accept Muslim refugees!
Indeed, they didn't do a lot for the 900,000 Arabs who they encouraged to leave Israel because they were going to "push the Jews into the sea". Obviously that didn't work and the 900,000 or so who are now called Palestinians make a fantastic PR weapon against the Jewish state (which took in over 500,000 Jews from the middle east who were ejected by their Arab cousins.

Messy old world.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.