British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Care to share? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/care-share-587976/)

Autonomy Jan 29th 2009 9:23 pm

Care to share?

In a moment of list making...

... just curious on what people read... care to share them? Looking for new things to read...

to get us started... here's mine...

All time favourite authors

1 - Haruki Murakami
2 - Hunter S Thompson
3 - Douglas Coupland
4 - Will Self
5 - Martin Amis

Last 5 books read:-

1 - Cormac McCarthy "No Country For Old Men"
2 - Niven Govinden "Graffiti My Soul"
3 - Ben Mezrich "Rigged"
4 - John Niven "Kill Your Friends"
5 - Che Guevera "The Motorcycle Diaries"

Reading now:-

1 - Niccolo Ammaniti "I'm Not Scared"
2 - Malcom Gladwell "Outliers"
3 - Albert Camus "The Stranger"
4 - Ferran Adria "A Day At El Bulli"

Charismatic Jan 29th 2009 9:49 pm

Re: Care to share?

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7227335)
2 - Hunter S Thompson

You seemed like such a nice boy as well ;).

I don't usually read books that would interest other people.

The Dean Jan 30th 2009 3:38 am

... just curious on what people read... care to share them? Looking for new things to read...

1 - Haruki Murakami
2 - Hunter S Thompson
3 - Douglas Coupland
4 - Will Self
5 - Martin Amis

3 - Ben Mezrich "Rigged"

I'm curious............ how/why are you currently reading four books simultaneously?

I find I need to focus entirely on one book only - to give it the attention it deserves etc.

I'm into sporting autobiographies......... trouble is, for every good one, there are ten that are dross.

Recommended for everyone (including non-sports fans): "Days Of Grace" by Arthur Ashe, written in the months leading up to his death, and published posthumously.............. the most moving non-fiction book I have ever read.

shiva Jan 30th 2009 6:21 am

[QUOTE=The Dean;7228194]I'm curious............ how/why are you currently reading four books simultaneously?
QUOTE]

why not, i usually read several at once, depends on mood etc as to which is read when.

Fav Authors, who knows, the one i am enjoying most at the time.

i tend to either read complete "holiday esque" shite or factual stuff.

Last 5

Rigged,
Sharpes Tiger Cornwel
Moonraker Fleming
Sniper One cant remember author
3 Para again cant remember author
(hmm seems there was a military theme there)

Current

As you do, richard hammond
Jupiters Travels ted simon
Soldier Sahibs Charles Alen
The great mutiny, India 1857, Christopher Hibbert
Its Easy Being Green, crissy trask
Freakonomics

to read, way to many to mention, i found the japanese bookshop in mall of dubai burj aquarium thingamy bob mall

Auto let me know what you thought of el bulli, would love to go but dont know what i'm doing in three yrs time let alone making a restraunt booking!

Autonomy Jan 30th 2009 7:48 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7228471)

Rigged - VERY SILLY in places!
Freakonomics - really good - we just picked up the rights to the movie version being filled... should be interesting!

to read, way to many to mention, i found the japanese bookshop in mall of dubai burj aquarium thingamy bob mall - IT'S FANTASTIC!

Auto let me know what you thought of el bulli, would love to go but dont know what i'm doing in three yrs time let alone making a restraunt booking!

I'm loving the book - I've not been, this year I'm aiming to get to the Fat Duck, El Bulli and The French Laundry... (I wish!). I have a reminder set in my diary for Oct to try to register for a table at El Bulli....

MacScot Jan 30th 2009 7:56 am

I'm boring...never ever read a fiction book from beginning to end. I was once given the "Hunt for Red October"...managed about 50 pages and gave up..couldn't remember who the characters were from one day to the next. Just went back to my non-fiction books on science and technology.

Will be interesting to see Eva's list, though :)

shiva Jan 30th 2009 9:31 am

auto,
saw some stats about el bulli a while back, dont quote me but it was something insane like 90,000+ applications for the 2000 odd covers per year!!!!! madness so i think i'll try for the fat duck first or even his gastro pub also in bray. Or little chef!!!!! (google "big chef takes on little chef")

rigged was very silly but interesting if true about the saudi clerics having to say ok to the exchange

that bookshop...........................wow!
it blew me away, not only did having a good bookshop here surprise me but having an excellent bookshop here is almost beyond belief......

wont last though they are bound to close.......

best book i saw in there was a guide to breeding pigs!!!!! fckin brilliant nearly bought it it was so funny seeing it on the shelf

shiva Jan 30th 2009 9:33 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7228657)
I'm boring...never ever read a fiction book from beginning to end. I was once given the "Hunt for Red October"...managed about 50 pages and gave up..couldn't remember who the characters were from one day to the next. Just went back to my non-fiction books on science and technology.

Will be interesting to see Eva's list, though :)

get thyself to the big bookshop in dubai mall, masses of decent books, they actually have sections for pyhsics, engineering etc :blink:

Tiger989 Jan 30th 2009 9:37 am

3 - Ben Mezrich "Rigged"

The one in bold are excellent books.

I would recommend:
John Pilger - The New rulers of The World
and also Jack Welsh - Straight from the Gut

Different point of views and excellent books to read.

Karlos The Jackal Jan 30th 2009 1:59 pm

Just finished:-

'Chasing Lance' - The story of one mans quest to follow Lance Armstrong on the 1995 Tour De France - excellent read

Just started:-

'The Guv'nor' - Lenny McLeans autobiogrphy, if the first chapter is anything to go on it will be excellent:thumbsup:

shakh your bootie Jan 30th 2009 2:24 pm

1 - Haruki Murakami
2 - Hunter S Thompson
3 - Douglas Coupland
4 - Will Self
5 - Martin Amis

3 - Ben Mezrich "Rigged"

Impeccable taste, Mr Auto - but we knew that....

L'etranger is an excellent if somewhat unsettling read - I've always thought that all of Camus is encapsulated in a nutshell in "the Myth of Sisyphus". It's only short and available online:

http://dbanach.com/sisyphus.htm - here's a taster:

One does not discover the absurd without being tempted to write a manual of happiness. "What!---by such narrow ways--?" There is but one world, however. Happiness and the absurd are two sons of the same earth. They are inseparable. It would be a mistake to say that happiness necessarily springs from the absurd. Discovery. It happens as well that the felling of the absurd springs from happiness. "I conclude that all is well," says Edipus, and that remark is sacred. It echoes in the wild and limited universe of man. It teaches that all is not, has not been, exhausted. It drives out of this world a god who had come into it with dissatisfaction and a preference for futile suffering. It makes of fate a human matter, which must be settled among men.

Not had too much time to read of late, someone gave me Sebastian Barry's "Secret Scripture" for xmas, read it straight through in a day... What else do you do at xmas but read, after all???

The Dean Jan 30th 2009 3:37 pm

Not had too much time to read of late, someone gave me Sebastian Barry's "Secret Scripture" for xmas, read it straight through in a day... What else do you do at xmas but read, after all???[/QUOTE]
One does not discover the absurd without being tempted to write a manual of happiness. "What!---by such narrow ways--?" There is but one world, however. Happiness and the absurd are two sons of the same earth. They are inseparable. It would be a mistake to say that happiness necessarily springs from the absurd. Discovery. It happens as well that the felling of the absurd springs from happiness. "I conclude that all is well," says Edipus, and that remark is sacred. It echoes in the wild and limited universe of man. It teaches that all is not, has not been, exhausted. It drives out of this world a god who had come into it with dissatisfaction and a preference for futile suffering. It makes of fate a human matter, which must be settled among men.

Like I always say.......... it's almost impossible to translate Camus...........

shakh your bootie Jan 30th 2009 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7230038)
Not had too much time to read of late, someone gave me Sebastian Barry's "Secret Scripture" for xmas, read it straight through in a day... What else do you do at xmas but read, after all???

Like I always say.......... it's almost impossible to translate Camus...........[/QUOTE]

Just for you, you jelquing old old purist you....

On ne découvre pas l'absurde sans être tenté d'écrire quelque manuel du bonheur. " Eh ! quoi, par des voies si étroites... ? " Mais il n'y a qu'un monde. Le bonheur et l'absurde sont deux fils de la même terre. Ils sont inséparables. L'erreur serait de dire que le bonheur naît forcément de la découverte absurde. Il arrive aussi bien que le sentiment de l'absurde naisse du bonheur. " Je juge que tout est bien ", dit Œdipe, et cette parole est sacrée. Elle retentit dans l'univers farouche et limité de l'homme. Elle enseigne que tout n'est pas, n'a pas été épuisé. Elle chasse de ce monde un dieu qui y était entré avec l'insatisfaction et le goût des douleurs inutiles. Elle fait du destin une affaire d'homme, qui doit être réglée entre les hommes.

Confucius Jan 30th 2009 4:52 pm

I usually judge a good book by the cover; if I don't like the girl whose photo is featured on FHM/Maxim/Esquire/GQ then chances are that it's crap...

The Dean Jan 30th 2009 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7230057)

Like I always say.......... it's almost impossible to translate Camus...........

Just for you, you jelquing old old purist you....

On ne découvre pas l'absurde sans être tenté d'écrire quelque manuel du bonheur. " Eh ! quoi, par des voies si étroites... ? " Mais il n'y a qu'un monde. Le bonheur et l'absurde sont deux fils de la même terre. Ils sont inséparables. L'erreur serait de dire que le bonheur naît forcément de la découverte absurde. Il arrive aussi bien que le sentiment de l'absurde naisse du bonheur. " Je juge que tout est bien ", dit Œdipe, et cette parole est sacrée. Elle retentit dans l'univers farouche et limité de l'homme. Elle enseigne que tout n'est pas, n'a pas été épuisé. Elle chasse de ce monde un dieu qui y était entré avec l'insatisfaction et le goût des douleurs inutiles. Elle fait du destin une affaire d'homme, qui doit être réglée entre les hommes.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.......... so the English version was not a bad translation after all.......