Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Car Tyres - 3 years or 4 years?

Car Tyres - 3 years or 4 years?

Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Tyres - 3 years or 4 years?

I thought the rule was they had to be replaced every 4 years - man in Satwa (a tyre salesman) just told me 3 years.

What is it?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Tyres - 3 years or 4 years?

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I thought the rule was they had to be replaced every 4 years - man in Satwa (a tyre salesman) just told me 3 years.

What is it?
ignore... I've found out the answer from another thread.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for reminding me

another thing on the to do list
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

And the answer is?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

lehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Meow
And the answer is?
How would anyone know how old your tyres are!?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

The guy in the tyre garage pointed this out to me. Normally there's a box on the tyre sidewall with a four digit number. The first two digits are the week number and the second two the year. So "3010" is the 30th week in 2010.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lehoff
How would anyone know how old your tyres are!?
tells you on the side, always check when you buy "new" ones
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
And the answer is?
well... expat women and the previous BE thread came to the conclusion of 4 years.

Still, mine are noisy so probably need replacing.

Last edited by Millhouse; Mar 28th 2011 at 8:59 am.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sandboy
tells you on the side, always check when you buy "new" ones
yup... says something like:

26575R160808 on mine. The last four digits give month and year.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

I always go for 2 years over here as a rule because of the heat.

Expensive but not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.

Would give them a lot longer in England though.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:23 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
I always go for 2 years over here as a rule because of the heat.

Expensive but not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.

Would give them a lot longer in England though.
Absolutely. I don't drive on tyres more than 2 years old here--they deteriorate badly in the sun, so to hell with what any regulation says, let alone EW.

Never, ever skimp on tyres--they're the only things between the road and 2 tonnes of car with you and all that's precious to you inside.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Absolutely. I don't drive on tyres more than 2 years old here--they deteriorate badly in the sun, so to hell with what any regulation says, let alone EW.

Never, ever skimp on tyres--they're the only things between the road and 2 tonnes of car with you and all that's precious to you inside.
come on - they have only done 102km, they are barely worn in!

don't worry, I'll get new ones at the weekend.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:12 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

What is it?
what kind of tires last 4 years? they must be the hardest rubber compound known to man. 20,000-30,000 km is the most I have gotten from a tire.
(and only about 3-4000km on my motorbike.)

man up and stop driving like ms daisy
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weasel central
what kind of tires last 4 years? they must be the hardest rubber compound known to man. 20,000-30,000 km is the most I have gotten from a tire.
(and only about 3-4000km on my motorbike.)

man up and stop driving like ms daisy
Dunlops - so yes, rock hard rubber.

I do try and wear the buggers out but the Pajero is so underpowered I just can't seem to do it.

I'm actually not sure how much they have done, I'm guessing 40k (20k in my ownership and about the same with the previous bloke).
Old Mar 29th 2011, 8:42 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

6 yr old landcruiser and had third set of tyres fitted last December. Low mileage - only 55k - but saw the last set of tyres when they came off. The heat damage isn't necessarily where you can see it (there was plenty of tread left) - on our tyres it was near the wheel rims. And as most of our mileage is (relatively) long distance/high speed between Muscat and Dubai the last thing we want is a blow-out. Well worth the cost of new boots every two years in our minds anyway.

Just hope they junked our old tyres - as said, the tread looked fine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.