Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Car Tyres - 3 years or 4 years?

Car Tyres - 3 years or 4 years?

Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Tyres - 3 years or 4 years?

Originally Posted by hnd
Just hope they junked our old tyres - as said, the tread looked fine
Doubtful - when I took the last set off the Fortuner in AD the man said to me 'why are you replacing, they are fine' (3 years old, 70k) - next to my car was a Hylux truck with bald tyres - they went straight off mine onto the truck...
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bald tyres give far better grip 98.63% of the time here. (That's not a made-up figure.)
Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Bald tyres give far better grip 98.63% of the time here. (That's not a made-up figure.)
Probably about right (your 5 days a year of rain assumption) - and to be honest, all bets are off when it rains anyway.

You have to get up early to be ahead of me my friend.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:17 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Probably about right (your 5 days a year of rain assumption) - and to be honest, all bets are off when it rains anyway.

You have to get up early to be ahead of me my friend.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:32 am
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
yup... says something like:

26575R160808 on mine. The last four digits give month and year.
It says 29530ZR18 on mine - not sure exactly what it means except bloody impossible to find and very expensive!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Doubtful - when I took the last set off the Fortuner in AD the man said to me 'why are you replacing, they are fine' (3 years old, 70k) - next to my car was a Hylux truck with bald tyres - they went straight off mine onto the truck...
Did my Jeep's tyres today. 4 new big Bridgestones at 700 a pop at Masaood's outlet in Adnoc (Muroor/27th heading out of town). Was quoted 815 ea after discount at Futtaim's outlet in the Adnoc Muroor/23rd (heading into town).

Managed to get 4 years 3 months and 60k km out of them but probably should have changed them before as they were a bit bald round the edges.
That said they are probably off to a new home on some wreck somewhere like EMhouse's.
Old May 1st 2011, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I finally replaced my tyres... I found an old receipt and they had indeed done 40km over a period of 2.5 years.

And, wow, what a difference. I don't have to have the radio on full blast anymore to be able to hear it. The new ones are silent!

Rear tyres showed some wear, the fronts looked pretty clean. No cracking.
Old May 1st 2011, 5:29 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Car Tyres - 3 years or 4 years?

I don't like brand new tyres, they never feel like they have the grip of a run in tyre.
Old May 1st 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

don't forget to rotate after 10k...actually i probably will
Old May 1st 2011, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaidog
It says 29530ZR18 on mine - not sure exactly what it means except bloody impossible to find and very expensive!
You're just bragging.
Old May 1st 2011, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel central
what kind of tires last 4 years? they must be the hardest rubber compound known to man. 20,000-30,000 km is the most I have gotten from a tire.
(and only about 3-4000km on my motorbike.)

man up and stop driving like ms daisy
I have done 80,000kms on one set in 3 years...On another car I've done 70,000 on one set in 26 months...And finally on a third car I've done 50,000 on one set in 3 years...
Depends on how you drive, rotation discipline, and brand of tires - Michelins and COntinentals go further than others usually...
Old May 1st 2011, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dubaidog
295 is the width 30 is the profile/sidewall so in this case 30% of 295mm ZR is the speed rating which is high performance!! 18 is the radius so 18"

Am guessing it's something nice and high performance and RWD, sounds like fun if you're running 295's bud. And yer they will be expensive, I'd recommend trying to get some FALKEN 452's not expensive but great grip levels, and will give bridgestone an pirrelli's a run for there money. But with the rain levels we get out here go get some nice Toyo TR1's. Sticky as heck and will love the hot weather here. Not cheap mind but if you're running something high end performance then well worth it.
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fezzer
The guy in the tyre garage pointed this out to me. Normally there's a box on the tyre sidewall with a four digit number. The first two digits are the week number and the second two the year. So "3010" is the 30th week in 2010.
I don't get this.

What if the tyres have been sitting, new and unused, on the shelf in the workshop for a few months before being purchased? That number can only refer to a month of manufacture, surely?
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:38 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Dean
I don't get this.

What if the tyres have been sitting, new and unused, on the shelf in the workshop for a few months before being purchased? That number can only refer to a month of manufacture, surely?
Everything about tyres, codes and the 6-year shelf life http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

I recently completed "search for new tyres" mission. Nobody here cares about anything except size. Take care yourself.
-----------

I'm new here and almost a year in JED. Hello to everyone. Keef con?